When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thoughts about white dial watches

By-Tor

Not a fan of bright-white dials to be honest, a bit too insipid, effeminate/camp even... :captain::winkiss:

Makes Breitlings look cheap, Omegas look bland, and PAMs, well, the word 'repulsive' comes to mind.

There are only two watches I'll grant a pardon to....the aforementioned Daytona with silver subdials, but even that holds nothing to THIS rare ethereal beauty..... :drool:

post35751211366520825lf.jpg

White Rolex Explorer II was never my favorite... until I saw the gen "in the flesh". A British collague was wearing one and I had a chance to play with his watch... I was totally sold and I absolutely NEEDED that watch. There's just something really special with the "Polar Explorer". It's a bit small (39mm) and it really wears much smaller than Sub and GMT.

Is the rep different from the genuine? Rolex lists the genuine as 40mm and I was always under the impression that other than the CG's, the Sub and Exp II had an almost identical case?

Is the rep different from the genuine? Rolex lists the genuine as 40mm and I was always under the impression that other than the CG's, the Sub and Exp II had an almost identical case?

I recall that someone in the gen forums once measured the ExpII and said that the actual size is 39mm.

Not sure though... but even if they both actually were 40mm, they wear significantly smaller than Sub & GMT due to the smooth bezel. Same thing with Daytona... it feels smaller than 40mm.

I recall that someone in the gen forums once measured the ExpII and said that the actual size is 39mm.

Not sure though... but even if they both actually were 40mm, they wear significantly smaller than Sub & GMT due to the smooth bezel. Same thing with Daytona... it feels smaller than 40mm.

Ya, I would imagine that with the fixed bezel (and the fact that it doesn't hang outside the case like the rotating bezel) it would wear a bit smaller.

20710of1.jpg

They say "Variety is the Spice of Life", I couldn't agree more.

Since my first acquisition of a white-faced Rolex when I was 14, I knew that deep within me, there's something about a White Dial that dawns upon that unexplainable nostalgia in me. (others perhaps)

There's no doubt that I love my Black, Blue, Silver dialed watches, but I will always retain a fraction of Whites in my collection.

I was very drawn to the advertisement rolled out by Rolex back in the 80s where the white-faced Explorer was featured. It was then I knew I had to have one. Sadly, I never did owned an Explorer till date. Perhaps in the near future.

2074of1.jpg

Fast forward to a few years back, when the whole Panerai craze was burning up in flames and like a wild forest fire, everyone was chatting about Luminors and Radiomirs as if they were the next Beatles. When I picked up a Panerai catalogue, there and then again, I was attracted instinctively to the White Dial. Why? Could it be due to a replica Bvlgari that I have been wristed for 2 years? Definitely maybe.

2072of1.jpg

Many long-timers are no strangers to this 5218-207A, as it was first posted by my brother Quarks (who have semi-retired from the scene for while due to work) about 18 months back. I have told him that I was very shocked at the out-of-the-box finished product with no mods whatsoever from DSN. It was the full-bodied flavour that led me to request a safe-keeping guardianship for this timepiece. He had a Mario Paci Decima before on this 207A but I have since strapped on an ABP Lizard to inject a classier look, and keeping the blacks contrasted on the white dial.

20718of1.jpg

On closing, I am on the a Daytona 6263 fever and am once again torn between Black or Silver/White Dial. But I am on this thread, ain't I? The answer of choice is obvious.

Edited by Pre V

• 4 months later...

No one's mentioned one of my favourites, the Omega Seamaster GMT... it's a lovely watch (sorry no pics, I'm still at work :( ).

Also the FM Vegas in white dial is nice as are the Conquistadors and Casablancas :tu:

By-Tor: that Ebel really is as lovely as you say! And i agree the white dial SS Daytona is the best of the modern Daytonas :thumbs:

Does the Yachtmaster count with it's "light" dial?

Great photos Ubi.

However you forgot your IWC GST. That was one "whitey" that I always wanted to have (after I saw your photos back then).

Wow, BT. You're making me pull up some oldies for this one.

Quiet from the peanut gallery regarding the quality of the pics :) T'is an old one to be certain...

153_5307.jpg

Thanks man. I love that watch. Actually I would have bought it back then, but that particular rep came with a tiny bracelet that didn't fit a larger wrist. I was negotiating a deal with a dealer but he couldn't source extra links. Then I just forgot it.

:wub: That picture did it again... hmm... anyone in EU wants to trade his white GST + extra link?

My first two watches were both white (well one is, the other is white and sliver)

Anyways, my first ever rep was an Omega De-Ville Hour Vision that I purchased in downtown LA in the Santee Alley. Not a good rep, by any means, but I still quite like it. And oddly enough, this is the one that I have received the most comments on from random people who have seen me wearing it.

IMG_0700.jpg

My second watch purchase since I joined RWG is a gen Citizen Dual Time. Another very classy looking watch.

citbig.jpg

But my all time favorite white dial is the Ebel. This is a classic watch!

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

@JohnGraig: is that a new acquisition? The movement is the new 7750 with tight spacing?

Keep the pics coming. Lovely watches. :tu:

Pardon my ignorance for which movement - six yr old gen.

Love the watch - not so much the bracelet. Gets less time than my favorite reps.

Didn't realize how much glare there was on the "family photo" in my new signature.

Pardon my ignorance for which movement - six yr old gen.

Love the watch - not so much the bracelet. Gets less time than my favorite reps.

Didn't realize how much glare there was on the "family photo" in my new signature.

Ah my mistake. They just released this replica with the new 7750 movement (tight spacing) so I thought you bought one.

I'm not that familiar with Constellation. I would love to buy my fiancee a gen two-tone ladies' model but she doesn't want an expensive watch. :(

Here is the white ones that I have had, starting with my favourite so far Tag Link

P1070210.jpg

Ebel 1911 Discovery after By-Tor's amazing write up of this watch I just had to have it thanks

P1070139.jpg

Next my favourite BCE the dial was pure white which I loved

9912.jpg

P1030475.jpg

SOSF Asian from TTK I think

NoobfishWhite2.jpg

BCE white dial the dial was a little creamy and silvery

UltimateBCEWhite1.jpg

Santos

P1030528.jpg

Regular Asian SOSF great value have no idea why I sold it

P1000744.jpg