When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thoughts about white dial watches

By-Tor

I've always loved white dial watches. They're not awfully popular among the members and in some ways I can actually understand why. If the watch hands and markers are silver, there seems to be some kind of "lack of contrast" and the look is very understated.

I've owned a few white dial reps over the years. Let's take a trip back to the memory lane...

Who still remembers this ancient review of my Ebel 1911 quartz chrono? Bought it from Richard Lawton in May 2005. If I remember correctly, it was my first watch review at TRC. :)

I loved that rep and many ways I wish I still had it. However, the silver hour markers on it made it look extremely understated... but it had certain unexplainable charm. I would love to have a two-tone version of this model.

flashlight.jpg

In many ways the look was really similar to Stephane's Daytona that I reviewed much later. Definitely my favorite in the Daytona lineup. The black Daytona does nothing for me, but the white version with silver hands, champagne subregisters and markers is very, very nice.

best1.jpg

Another white dial watch that I really liked was my Broad Arrow Speedmaster. My brother always admired the watch and bugged me to find one for him. Then, we were spending a weekend at our summer cottage (drinking and partying) and he started talking about my Speedy again, I simply handed it to him and said "Damn, I've had enough of that whining. It's yours!" He still wears it every week as a "special occasion watch". Definitely one of the most impressive reps I've owned, with the transparent glass caseback and visually striking Seagull ST-19.

xx.jpg

Now a bit longer story:

White Rolex Explorer II was never my favorite... until I saw the gen "in the flesh". A British collague was wearing one and I had a chance to play with his watch... I was totally sold and I absolutely NEEDED that watch. There's just something really special with the "Polar Explorer". It's a bit small (39mm) and it really wears much smaller than Sub and GMT. But it's the strong contrast between black hour markers, bright red GMT hand and white dial that does the trick... amazing looker and there's no other watch that literally reminds me of snow and winter. Rolex marketing has done perfect job with it. :D

Naturally I bought the rep immediately but was very, very disappointed with it. I was well aware of the problem: the grey hour marker surroundings. But in the pictures those hour markers didn't look so bad as the dealers know how to hide this flaw and photograph the dials using correct light exposure. I thought that I could live with them. But when I received the watch I was bummed!

In certain lighting it looked like this. My white one had a correct hand stack and it developed a serious problem after just 2 days of use. Fortunately PT took it back and I didn't have to see that awful rep ever again. That wasn't even the correct Noobfactory version, but a CN version with inferior everything.

Then one day a fellow German member mentioned that he never wears his Franken Explorer II. I jumped on that watch like a shark and managed to net my most precious rep/franken possession. HERE is the article of my white franken Explorer II. White ExpII is very much requested model among the noobs, but trust me: don't even consider the replicas. You absolutely need the gen (or at least the gen dial) to fully understand the attraction of this watch. At least until the factories make a decent one.

2b_s.jpg

Since my brother "adopted" my Broad Arrow and didn't want to get the unreliable white Daytona, I didn't have a white dial chronograph. I had already decided that my next watch would be a chronograph with white dial. I considered the white TAG Carrera and Ebel BTR (7750 with wrong spacing) but then this beauty came up: Ebel 1911 case is probably my favorite watch case... perfect and unique shape, slim design, correct spacing (7750) and balanced 43mm size. "Panda" dial has an excellent contrast between dark brown/grey subregisters and gorgeous silver hands & hour markers.

There's absolutely nothing that I don't like on this watch, it's a great white dial chronograph. Those big pushers remind me of Daytona, but on the wrist I like the Discovery much more. It's a great mixture of modern and classic style, and the size and strong double AR are absolutely perfect. HERE is the article I wrote about this watch.

IMG_0218.jpg

It's certainly true: If you want a "flashy" watch that many people notice, white dials definitely aren't for you. All watches that I listed here are very, very "low key".

But if you like understated elegance and are a real watch connoisseur, then you might want to consider them. For some reason white dial watches won't get noticed that much... but that has never been any kind of factor when I think about new purchases. I only buy my watches for my own enjoyement.

Hope you enjoyed. Please do share your own "whiteys" and tell us a bit about them. :)

Great thread idea BT.

I happen to like the White dial and have owned a number of them over the years of collecting.

My Favorite is the Franken Explorer II if not for the fact that it is my favorite in the Rolex sport model line, then for the mere length of time it took me to complete it as you know too well :D

rolex16570frankenexplor.jpg

I purchased the 3717 Spitfire Chrono with the full intention of swapping the White dial for a Gen Black Dial I had. Turned out I ended falling in love with the White dial and never did the swap. Just sold this piece...be interesting to see what the new owner does - Black or White?

iwc371702spitfireziggyd.jpg

I also love the White dial of the Vacheron Constantin Overseas.

vacheronoverseas.jpg

I'm also quite fond of Panerai, in case you didn't pick up on that :p

Some of my favorite White Dials:

Franken 003B Luminor Marina with Gen Dial, Hands and crown

pam003bfranken.jpg

010B Base model

pam010bonmpb.jpg

188 Daylight Chrono

pam188ongeflaspezia.jpg

Last but not least. I know you are a big fan of the Blue Dial but I have always preferred the White Dial on the Steelfish

breitlingsuperoceanstee.jpg

I'm really considering the Panda Discovery the more I see you post it....

I really wish they made a good rep of the TT Ebel 1911 (Miami Vice). I have always thought that a really classy piece.

So far I've owned a SOSF, Exp II, DJ, and a PAM Daylight in white. I find that I love looking at them on the screen but hardly ever choose to wear them. I'd put them on, then take them off. So I sold them all. But even now, after going through 4 or 5 of them, I still have a couple in my shopping cart at Perfect Clones. :)

I've kept one Daytona, but it has a silver dial--not quite white.

A must have for "Formal Dress" Class and Elegance!! B)

Totally agree with Lani here.I think that white dial watches are always an eye catching piece of jewelry,adding class,elegance and

finesse.Although i will have to say that i had a white dial on a daytona replaced with a black one...It just wasn't looking as good as

it was with the black dial.

datora.jpg

2.jpg

John

Great post man. I too have always been taken by white dials. In my case the love has been limited to glazed and real enamel pieces that come from more of a dress watch camp. I currently have two pieces on the "to buy" list for the future with white dials. First, the classic Patek Calatrava 5120 Hobnail...

5120.jpg

Second, while surprising to some (including me) as I don't usually like braceleted yellow gold watches is the White Roman DayDate President. My father has this very watch and a modern one just a few years old. When he bought it he asked me over to look at it and I was scolding him for buying such a "utilitarian" timepiece. Meanwhile, when I got there and saw it I was blown away. People just get so used to seeing these they forget how nice they really are. Nothing shines like Rolex gold - just the perfect color. And IMO, the white enamel dial with the applied gold romans is just the nuts...

daydayeyellowwhite.jpg

PS: With a white button down dress shirt and khakis it looks like a million bucks. Funny thing is when I think of my suits mostly being black and dark grey and black shoes, I can't imagine wearing a gold watch. I think that is what turns alot of people off without knowing why. It just jumps out of nowhere with all that contrast. But with earthtones it doesn't. Changed my whole perspective. Gold watches are just less forgiving with attire where white metal goes with everything...

OK, back to white stuff - er - watches I mean. Rep-wise, I only had one with a white dial that I truly loved, but I never wore it because of its size - a very big wearing 43MM, with the "all dial" design makes it wear about like 45MM. But boy, what a looker and a steal deal for $160USD or so. The FA Jones...

FA31.jpg

FA12.jpg

FA8.jpg

The only white dialled watch I've had, was my PAM 113. It was a much more versatile watch than I ever anticipated it being.

DSCN0379.jpg

I'll probably get a white dialled watch at some point, not with the intention of it being a beater, and probably not as a real 'formal dress watch', but maybe for something in between. Maybe a 'smart/casual/going out with friends' watch... I'm thinking possibly a white-dialled Yacht Master, but fitted with one of the recent bracelets, just to keep it all looking nice and slick :)

No doubt. White dials are classic and sophisticated.

They can be a little boring on sport watches. EG I like the black face EXP 2 more than the white one.

I am surprised that the white dial Ingy isn't more popular. If anyone knows why this is, feel free to fill me in...

I`m still hesitating which one to buy,Explorer II in white or black, but i think the black one would be my choice for this particular watch.But i must admit that there are a lot of watches with white dials that look simply classy, just depends on the model.

Edited by clamul

i Agree with TJ....the PAM 113 is one versatile watch:

On a Blue Elephant Leather:

Blu113.jpg

On a brown shark:

Pam113I.jpg

On a Honey Ostrich:

PAM113onSaltwater1.JPG

On White Rubber - ready for summer:

pam113wov8.jpg

113bzw8.jpg

and then these White Dialed beauties:

AP ROO Safari:

safari2dialdu7.jpg

roosafarimv01wq5.jpg

The Breitling Bentley:

bentley1buk4.jpg

bentley1xy8.jpg

Side by side with the 113 on Mesh bracelet:

meshbro1800rf2.jpg

Chopard MMXL:

chopmmxlzk8.jpg

and does this count?

DaytonaBlk1.jpg

i Agree with TJ....the PAM 113 is one versatile watch:

Great thread about white dial watches. I am just starting to look for the smaller (40mm and under) men's rep versions with white faces since the choices for ladies in general are pretty slim. You guys are lucky to have so many great watches to choose from but it's pretty hard for a gal to pull off a watch larger than 42mm especially if it has a black face. I keep trolling the FS section. Hey, maybe that could be a good outlet for all you guys to get rid of your older (too small now) white-faced watches (leather-bands preferred) unless your GFs have gotten the bug and already claimed them. Sell off your old "highly-modded" watches so you can buy a new one. Come on guys, let's see those watches materialize!!

whooperdog-gal

Hmmm ... great post

I am the new owner of dluddys white faced IWC Spitfire (and I bought the blk dial as well) & initially I thought I may go the black road at first. Had it on my wrist a cupple of days now & will stay with the white-face for a while at least.

I *think* I used to like darkies (with PP's Corums FM)) etc but I fell in love with the IWC Porto's and now find the *subtle-ness* of whiteys more endearing. Sure the contrast can be an issue but as some of the brilliant examples shown above illustrate this can be minor

Great thread about white dial watches. I am just starting to look for the smaller (40mm and under) men's rep versions with white faces since the choices for ladies in general are pretty slim. You guys are lucky to have so many great watches to choose from but it's pretty hard for a gal to pull off a watch larger than 42mm especially if it has a black face. I keep trolling the FS section. Hey, maybe that could be a good outlet for all you guys to get rid of your older (too small now) white-faced watches (leather-bands preferred) unless your GFs have gotten the bug and already claimed them. Sell off your old "highly-modded" watches so you can buy a new one. Come on guys, let's see those watches materialize!!

whooperdog-gal

Hey whooper! Welcome to RWG!

I think the Vintage white dialed Daytonas will be perfect for you! If you prefer the leather strap, you could always change them. Also the Explorer II white dial! They are just

the right size for females! Although, if you try some of the PAMs, you might like them......we use to have Victoria here who had like 20-30 PAMs and it always look fabulous on

her wrist!

Cheers, Hike