When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Teardown and analysis of an Asian 7750 - 4 years after last service.

No regular service for gen movements then? Any thoughts on this?

You know...Men's Health mag had a blurb from some "master watchmaker" in NYC saying the same thing: essentially, run the things into the ground and don't service them at the recommended intervals...only when you need to.

Look at The Zigmeister's pics. Look at his posts of movements that have and have not been serviced for extended periods of time...or have been serviced but by hacks and decide for yourself who's right!!!

You can also use common sense. Think what would happen to a car engine or any motor that was run continuously for 24hrs a day for 4 years. Granted, a watch doesn't have the same gravity oil drainage issues of a car engine and is more of a sealed system from air and elements...things gum up over time.

Maybe the AD just wants you do have an expensive service call where $500 barrels and $700 gears need to be replaced because they've been running metal on metal for 2 years after all the oil gummed up.

I hope you found this interesting and informative.

Very much so, although I think 'fascinating' would be a more accurate term. When translated into distances, it's pretty mind-boggling to think of the endurance which these mechanisms operate under, and how they well and truly put the automotive industry to shame in terms of both precision of performance, and durability and endurance of component.

Thanks for sharing :good:

Thanks Toad, Thanks The Zigmeister. I already suspected the AD's information wasn't so hot. <_<

Will get the watch to service in near future. No watchmaker will do it himself here though. Scafusia is too close.

Servicing an Asian 7750 is something totally different here. Still haven't found a watchmaker in the area accepting reps. -_-

Yours kindly

Valerian

Everyone at my workplace wearing a rolex have 10 year old watches and never service them. I was told by a jeweler to service my seiko every 3 years even if I don't wear it. I think these people at work with their rolex being too cheap to service them are going to find out pretty soon that their watch doesn't work any more :p

Come to think of it I wonder how much $ it costs to service a watch. My seiko was about $90 on ebay.. I figure if it costs $120 to service it I might as well just import a new one and sell this one as used on ebay.

Edited by amptor1

• 3 months later...
Genuine or Asian, it makes no difference, the same principles apply.

Toad's comments are right on...

RG

Just saw this for the first time as I away at first time of publication. Fascinating write-up :tu:

Amazing that some people with DRSDs from the 60s have never serviced their watch. I wonder what they would do if they saw this ? Probably freak out !

Just see this for the first time. Have no idea how I could have missed it :o

Really enjoyable to read and good to know that the quality isn't that bad as some people might say.

The only difference I notice between the rep ones (after service) compared to gen movements (like IWC), is that the gen ones start to run as soon as you turn the crown, while the rep ones takes a few turns. Also the power reserve is less on the rep ones of course.

So actually, why would you still buy a gen? :rolleyes:

Just see this for the first time. Have no idea how I could have missed it :o

Really enjoyable to read and good to know that the quality isn't that bad as some people might say.

The only difference I notice between the rep ones (after service) compared to gen movements (like IWC), is that the gen ones start to run as soon as you turn the crown, while the rep ones takes a few turns. Also the power reserve is less on the rep ones of course.

So actually, why would you still buy a gen? :rolleyes:

What did EL used to say? Shake it like you're a crazy person ?

Man this is awesome I have gone thru 60 watches in 18 months because I understood this movements were crap, so after reading your article I'm really going to have to see which watches I really like so I can keep them. Thanks for the write up and for the peace of mind