When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking at buying Gen SMP

e6rnd

Hard choice...

I was playing with this idea recently there fore went to an AD today and checked both out... the AR and more modern/sharp look of the 42mm PO swing me over... so if i do decide and funds will be available ill pick up a 42mm PO.

i know i did not help u out much but i thought i chip in...

Cheers Laz

Depends on if you are looking new or preowned. The new SMP models are powered by the Co-Axial movement and cost about a grand more than the old model. I prefer the old model as the standard ETA movement has proven itself and the Co-Axial modification has not, the extra cash in the pocket helps as well.

Hard choice...

I was playing with this idea recently there fore went to an AD today and checked both out... the AR and more modern/sharp look of the 42mm PO swing me over... so if i do decide and funds will be available ill pick up a 42mm PO.

I share Laz's sentiments completely...until it comes to the buying bit. The PO screams quality. The dial is so clear under the AR coating, and the black on white numbers looks so classy, for me it is the best looking affordable divers watch out there. However, when it comes to pressing that 'buy' button, I always come back to the SMP. God knows why, but there is something 'special' about the SMP for me.

SMC has it right...I also have the 2255.80 (same one he has) and I absolutely love it. I posted a review and some shots of it here http://www.rwg.cc/members/Gen-SMP-pictoria...iew-t89451.html

I don't know if you're going for new or used but either way they're a fabulous value. I have the 1120 based 2255.80 as shown in the review and the 2280.80 2500C based and I love them both. I'd say pick up a used Seamaster that's a few years old from a Tourneau if you can negotiate a good discount (and get the 2 year warranty) or pick one up online for less than 1500 and you're square. I personally agree with Fidestro on the movement but haven't had issues with the 2500 at all...runs great!

I don't like the PO at all...I've owned two UPOs (modded) and a gen 45 mm PO and I personally don't think it's worth the price at all. I will say the new 2280 with the applied markers etc is very, very nice at that price point and it really does go with just about everything.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other q's.

I think the SMP is a timeless modern design, somewhat like the rolex datejust is. But I like both the PO and the SMP. If I was going to get a gen, I'd be looking for a good price on a SMP because it has been out a while. I think the PO is newer and would cost more. I may buy a quartz SMP some day if I find a good deal on one, but they discontinued that watch. Pierce Brosnan (James Bond) wore the quartz model, but that isn't why I like the watch.

Edited by amptor1

My advice, my two cents..

I highly suggest you get the rep 1st and see how you feel. I was DYING for a SMP, even considering buying gen. Went into the AD many times. I wound up getting the best rep available. ETA, upgraded the pearl, etc.. it was really spot on, but the watch bored me to death!

It was the easiest watch to let go of that i've ever owned. Its the only rep i've sold! Timeless, great watch.. that I couldn't care less about after a week of ownership. None of my other watches ever did that to me aside from the yacht-master, which I knew I didn't care for to begin with. :D

I'm glad I didn't go gen. Good luck my friend. I hope your happy whatever you decide.

I think the SMP is a timeless modern design, somewhat like the rolex datejust is. But I like both the PO and the SMP. If I was going to get a gen, I'd be looking for a good price on a SMP because it has been out a while. I think the PO is newer and would cost more. I may buy a quartz SMP some day if I find a good deal on one, but they discontinued that watch. Pierce Brosnan (James Bond) wore the quartz model, but that isn't why I like the watch.

True, although he only wore the quartz in GoldenEye...all his other outings as Bond featured him wearing the full size SMP Automatic

Iv got the rep already and i do like it buts its not a high quality one. i think i might settle and get a UPO and a Gen SMP and if i hit top bonus this yr ill get a Gen PO. thanks for the advice keep it comming

My advice, my two cents..

I highly suggest you get the rep 1st and see how you feel. I was DYING for a SMP, even considering buying gen. Went into the AD many times. I wound up getting the best rep available. ETA, upgraded the pearl, etc.. it was really spot on, but the watch bored me to death!

It was the easiest watch to let go of that i've ever owned. Its the only rep i've sold! Timeless, great watch.. that I couldn't care less about after a week of ownership. None of my other watches ever did that to me aside from the yacht-master, which I knew I didn't care for to begin with. :D

I'm glad I didn't go gen. Good luck my friend. I hope your happy whatever you decide.

Using reps as "testing ground" is an excellent advice. There have been some watches that have really disappointed me in the long run. SMP, however, isn't one of them. It's not the flashiest watch but it has certain unexplainable charm. I wore my rep pretty much regularly for 4 years and never got tired of it. I like the SMP "Bond" Chronograph even more. Awesome watches.

But of couse, watches are a taste thing, and there are no absolute "truths". One man's meat is the other man's poison

@b16a2: Lovely shots. Great SMP!

One thing about the replica of this watch though is it will have no power reserve. I think the gen is better in that aspect. One probably could buy the movement from ofrei for about a grand or something, but the case will end up being wrong since the he valve is in the incorrect position.

Edited by amptor1

One thing about the replica of this watch though is it will have no power reserve. I think the gen is better in that aspect. One probably could buy the movement from ofrei for about a grand or something, but the case will end up being wrong since the he valve is in the incorrect position.

No power reserve? That's not true...3 hand ETA or ETA clone- you should be expecting between 35-44 hours of PR... considering my gen has around 50 that's not bad at all...

I am one of those who prefer the black SMP to the PO or the Bond SMP and I have a genuine, black SMP together with the Bond chrono rep. The rep chrono has an AR'd crystal and I have it on a genuine Omega blue shark strap so it is really close to the genuine. I think that it is one of the best out-of-the-box replicas at any rate and the Ar and gen strap complete the effect. There's a Swiss 7750, fully decorated with an Omega 1164 rotor (possibly a gen Omega movement) waiting to be dropped in, together with gen hands should the Asian movement fail. Maybe add a gen crown and tube when that time comes.

My advice is to go down the same route - the black SMP is one of the classiest sports watches on the planet and the Bond chrono is one of the best reps bar none. The gen parts and Swiss movements are easily available to upgrade the rep so you will have a killer pair.

• 3 weeks later...

I vote for the SMP 2531.80.00 It's a classic now, and will ever remain so. For wrist comfort and balance it is second to none. I can't say the same for the PO, but it is a personal choice (maybe that's why they still make so many variations). I also rend to agree with the school of thought that favors the 1120 movement (and original external design with the shorter hands, sans red paint). Nuff sed.. ^_^