When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken project, will a 1570 fit a MBK 1680

yachtmaster

I'm getting a 1570 movement and was wondering if this will fit the MBW MBK 1680's case? Will I need something to hold it in place?

The search button is your friend :) The movement will not fit with some adjustment (grinding) to the case ... it is not for the faint of heart. I would recommend buying the correct case from Phong. Oh, almost forgot ... the dial won't fit either. Having fun yet?

I have never done a 1680, but both my MBW 5514 (left) & MBW DRSD (right) are powered by 15xx calibres

1575dial0351.jpg

1575dial0031.jpg

The gen 1680 & 5513/4 all share the same case (only the engravings are different) &, as far as I know, the MBW versions of these Subs similarly share the same case (in addition to the 5514, I also have an MBW 5513 case). Assuming your 1570 comes with the 2 case screws (you screw them in to install & screw them out to lock the movement into the case), you will need to grind out a 1/2" hump from the inner wall of the case (at approximately 9) to fit 1 of the case screws down into the case

cased15701.jpg

As long as you are using a gen dial (or a 27mm aftermarket dial that is made to fit a gen case), you should not have too many problems.

1 caveat is that I recently read a post by another member (I cannot recall who) suggesting that MBW has redesigned their cases & this member ran into problems with 1 of them. The poster also mentioned that Eurotimez told him that he was still able to get MBWs based on the older case. I do not recall the exact post, so I would recommend you search it out or contact Eurotimez for details since most of my MBW cases are more than 2 years old.

Freddy,

What are your MBW case numbers?

From http://www.rwg.cc/members/serial-number-MB...bw+case+numbers

1665 MBW Single Red MM 5790188 Stainless Steel Registered Design 1665

1665 MBW Double Red MM 5790188 Stainless Steel Registered Design 1665

1665 Great White MM 5789899 Stainless Steel Registered Design 1665

I am going down an almost exact path as your DRSD, and have the 5790188 MBW. (My Clark Super t-39 arrived today :) ).

As far as dial's go, in shopping ND, Yuki, etc, it looks like most SD dials come in at 26.5mm. Is yours 27?

-Ronin

The gen 1680 & 5513/4 all share the same case (only the engravings are different) &, as far as I know, the MBW versions of these Subs similarly share the same case (in addition to the 5514, I also have an MBW 5513 case).

Hey guys,

actually the 1680 and 5513 cases are different in that the 5513 dial is smaller than the 1680 dial. The MBW sub case is based upon the 5513 meaning that if you use a gen spec 1680 dial for the 1570 it will need to be trimmed to fit the MBW case. This means the dial markers become shorter and is a dead giveaway. IMHO building a 1680 with a gen 1570 means investing in a Phong case or build a 5513.

Cheers

Peter

I have the same 5514 case with working HEV. Almost done mine.. just need to send the dial somewhere to get it aged. I have a nice NDtrading white sub dial i may install instead. Then it will be a 5514 with white submariner service dial. My white sub dial is already modded. I would just have to mod the feet to fit my 2846 ETA movement...

dizz