When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lincoln's Watch

Demsey

Here was an on-line news blurb I came across this morning. Purdy cool. I thought it were apropos as RWG is slowly migrating away from being a mere 'replica' watch board;

Secret Message in Lincoln Watch FoundBy BRETT ZONGKER, AP

National NewsPrintShareText SizeAAAWASHINGTON (March 11) - For nearly 150 years, a story has circulated about a hidden Civil War message engraved inside Abraham Lincoln's pocket watch. On Tuesday, museum curators confirmed it was true. A watchmaker used tiny tools to carefully pry open the antique watch at the National Museum of American History, and a descendant of the engraver read aloud the message from a metal plate underneath the watch face.

Lincolns%20watch.jpg

"Jonathan Dillon April 13 - 1861," part of the inscription reads, "Fort Sumpter (sic) was attacked by the rebels on the above date." Another part reads, "Thank God we have a government."

The words were etched in tiny cursive handwriting and filled the the space between tiny screws and gears that jutted through the metal plate. A magnifying glass was required to read them.

Jonathan Dillon, then a watchmaker on Pennsylvania Avenue, had Lincoln's watch in his hands when he heard the first shots of the Civil War had been fired in South Carolina. The Irish immigrant later recalled being the only Union sympathizer working at the shop in a divided Washington.

Dillon's story was passed down among his family and friends, eventually reaching a New York Times reporter. In a 1906 article in the paper, an 84-year-old Dillon said no one, including Lincoln, ever saw the inscription as far as he knew.

Edited by Demsey

I will now stand in the corner and repeat the lines......

"I must not search for comedy in everything"

Sod it............Two Ronnies you say...........

is the best! :D

At the end of the day Dillon should have known that in general people don't open their own watches (unless the belong to RWG), so he should have engraved on the case back "Shh look inside for secret message" -_-

Ken

I was going to open a thread regarding the watch, but I arrived later... ;-)

Anyway, the issue is that Lincoln never opened his watch to know about the movement... It could have been an ETA Copy!!! :p

At the end of the day Dillon should have known that in general people don't open their own watches (unless the belong to RWG), so he should have engraved on the case back "Shh look inside for secret message" -_-

Ken

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Enough with laughing...I will blow up! It reminds me of Da Vinci code :o

Love to know the story of the Jeff Davis inscription

That's 'rebigjoe69' 's great grandfather. Dillon did the timing and beat, as Fidestro mentioned, Davis did the dip and swish, blew out the dust and did the fob rebrush. He charged seven pigs. That's like, uh, 500usd in today's economy.

Ken

Little known RWG fact; Rob engraves all his serviced auto's on the rotor;

" STOP! This watch was in perfect running order when it left Canada. If you took the initiative to open the caseback, you obviously are in need of another progressive service event. Carefully screw on the caseback and send me a PM. You know the drill."

RG