When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Larry hangs up his harness

Nanuq

Larry is Lance Mackey's lead dog, and won Iditarod again this year. In fact Larry has won 7 distance races of over 1,000 miles. So Lance announced that Larry's hanging up his harness and retiring to a well deserved life of leisure.

It couldn't happen to a better dog. Larry's an icon and he finally gets to rest, going out at the very top of his game.

Well done, champ. :1a::clapping:

519-4303147.10298.original.embedded.prod_affiliate.7.jpg13-4303616.10300.original.embedded.prod_affiliate.7.jpg

Larry hangs up the harness

I love happy endings. Nice doggie.

Do they have adoption programs for retired sled dogs? I bet they would make awesome companions after the career.

Here they have such programs for retired racing Greyhounds. They are reasonably well cared for while racing, but are extremely greatful and well adjusted to a new life of leisure. Odd though, they really have to be exposed to the 'field' (other Greyhounds) on a regular basis for 'visits' to live long. I'm sure the sled dogs are the same. 'Purpose' is key for longevity for an animal that has 'worked' it's life.

Horses are the same. There are a few retired lesson horses out at the ranch. Too old to ride above a walk, but they are still groomed, tacked up, saddled and used in equine-therapy for autistic children. They do better than just being turned out.

Horses are the same. There are a few retired lesson horses out at the ranch. Too old to ride above a walk, but they are still groomed, tacked up, saddled and used in equine-therapy for autistic children. They do better than just being turned out.

I really like hearing things like this :) ...

You bet! There are lots of retired sled dogs here and people use them all the time for skijoring. It takes an expert to go out with dogs of this caliber though... If you harness up even 2 they'll run you way faster than you can control. And you're right these athletes need to run to live. So no more 1,000 miles races for Larry but for sure lots of runs.

When I read Nanuq's initial post I got a mental image of one of these dogs shooting down a snowy street still chained to his dog kennel which is tobogganing along behind him, so yeah I was thinking along the "these dogs need to run" line too. :D

Ken