When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

All black watches a flash in the pan?

Newdoc

Been thinking about a ProHunter rep and asking around about all black and/or ceramic pieces, but I was just thinking....

Will I want to wear this watch in three years?

I already wonder if I am going to want to keep wearing my bigass SOH in a few years.

Looking back at how styles change in watches just like anything else, I'm inclined to talk myself out of it.

What do you all think?

I've never thought they looked attractive at all. It's hiding the raw beauty of the materials chosen for a piece's construction. Imho, it looks as silly as the people who paint their car's wheels the same color as the body; it just destroys the aesthetic. And as far as practicality is concerned, it serves it's usefulness about as well as a gold-plated watch. Scratches and blemishes on steel can be mostly removed, buffed, polished out, etc. Any sort of plating will simply have to be replaced upon damage.

I have also had these thoughts about an all black watch - I want one, but will it age well...

I think that if a watch looks good then a watch looks good. We still now like the vintage designs that looked good then and still look good now, so I don't think we should worry too much, as long as it's a 'classic' piece.

All in my n00b opinion though!

I just bought my first black watch, a Pro Hunter GMT II-C. I got a good deal that I couldn't pass up from a fellow member.

I can't take my eyes off of it!! I think it is ineradicably cool and beautiful. The shinny black ceramic bezel looks awesome against the shinny black case.

Only time will tell if I still love it a year from now, but my guess is that I will.

BTW gio - Your girls bike wheels are painted the same color as the bikes body (frame) and I don't think the aesthetics of that shot are ruined at all!! ;)

I love my all black Hublot, but when it comes to a Rolex, it has to be SS. For some reason, the ProHunter just looks fake to me, maybe because it is so different from their norm. Although I worry a little about damaging my Hublot, the thing that keeps me from freaking out is its rubber strap. With the ProHunter, I'd be worried anytime I put my wrist on my desk- a little extreme I know, but that's about where my paranoia falls on this or any other similar style black watches.

I just bought my first black watch, a Pro Hunter GMT II-C. I got a good deal that I couldn't pass up from a fellow member.

I can't take my eyes off of it!! I think it is ineradicably cool and beautiful. The shinny black ceramic bezel looks awesome against the shinny black case.

Only time will tell if I still love it a year from now, but my guess is that I will.

BTW gio - Your girls bike wheels are painted the same color as the bikes body (frame) and I don't think the aesthetics of that shot are ruined at all!! ;)

Interesting; I never noticed that. Then again, I am usually staring closer to the seat...

Guest avitt

People discuss this like it's a life and death decision...

If you like black watches, go ahead and get one.

If you change your mind in a few years, just send me the watch, and I'll strip it for you.

If the coating scratches up in a few years, just send it to me, and I'll strip and recoat it for you.

I'm here for you, guys ;)

People discuss this like it's a life and death decision...

If you like black watches, go ahead and get one.

If you change your mind in a few years, just send me the watch, and I'll strip it for you.

If the coating scratches up in a few years, just send it to me, and I'll strip and recoat it for you.

I'm here for you, guys ;)

:thumbsupsmileyanim::good::drinks:

Nothing is indestructable except for solid materials. But PVD will take more abuse. Now they will get minor scuffs like anything else but they will not show up as much. But most are relatively easy to repair. With that said, if any wear beyond this happens within the first six months, it should be redone at no cost.

The Black watches are definately a fashion statement these days. Time will tell how long they will stay 'HOT'.

one of the reasons the Black Steel Breitling is such a beauty is that the case is not completely real black but some shaded lighter, between dark grey and black. The steel really shines through the dlc.

I think like Magpies we are inherently drawn to shiny things. But there is definitely a place for Black watches in anyone's collection. I've just changed straps on my PAM195 and its my new favourite watch again. Though the Hublots are perhaps more fashion orientated I really don't see black as a fashion type thing and if it was it would tend towards Goth rather than cutting edge designer. Haven't the likes of Heuer and Porsche/IWC be doing PVD type stuff since the 70's. I guy I work with has a Gen Fortis Chronograph in PVD and it looks stunning but very subtle. It makes a refreshing change from the standard corporate seamaster look. Go for it you never know you might like it.

I have gen PRO-HUNTER SUB. The reason I bought it requires the PVD finish and the solid lugs/nylon strap. Plus Pro Hunter will recoat the watch every time it goes in for service if neccesary. If aesthetically you like them get one. I am lucky enough to be able to stretch to a gen, but if you cant go for it! As with all things it is purely down to personal taste!

Rich

Edited by richrah

Didn't Casio invent the black watch. :lol: Seriously, I wouldn't want my only watch to be a black watch but as someone said earlier the beauty of black watches is that they come in shades of grey and in some sense are the ultimate tool watch. Don't we all want to pretend we are "black-ops" guys - it's a natural extension of all of our deep sea diving and piloting skills. ;)