When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sun and Fun - Vacation

Watchmeister

I head down to the Carribean every year and the biggest question is "which three this year". Here are a few pics of the trip and the watches:

Coming into Paradise:

IMGP2769.jpg

That runway is looking relatively short:

IMGP2771.jpg

Hey, That's one way to get to the beach quick:

IMGP2774.jpg

Luckily, I had my latest aviator watch on for the trip:

IMGP2777.jpg

Off to the pool:

And of course the appropriate pool side accoutrement (do you really think I am going to take a gen t dial Rolex to the beach):

IMGP2781-1.jpg

Would you guess the pic above was taken in the pool (notice the air bubble)

But the best laid plans... Guess I forgot to send it off to Ziggy for proper sealing. This is one way to further vintagize a vintage dial :bangin:

IMGP2842.jpg

And then off to the beach:

IMGP2839.jpg

IMGP2846.jpg

Couldn't resist one nice pic of the watch:

IMGP2815.jpg

And finally, a big thanks to my watch bearers:

IMGP2821.jpg

IMGP2823.jpg

IMGP2822.jpg

The watch bearers in training - rather messy - minor accidents along the way:

IMGP2853.jpg

And much thanks to the cast:

The watch couriers - Local tortoises who share the property with us

Breitling Black Steel - V2 with swiss movement, Ziggy relume and repainting of the hands

Rolex 5512 - MBW with gen dial, insert, crown, crystal and slow beat

Panerai 170 - All the trimmings :)

Hope this wasn't too painful for you. It was fun for me to put together. And a big thanks to my lovely wife and children for collecting the "watch bearers" for me. This year I left out all the naked women. Maybe next year I will add them and post in the GGG section.

This is incredible! You're a pilot? and if so - what the hell you doin taking pictures while you're coming into land?! :D

Great pictures, I'm so jealous that you're able to just 'trip down to the carribean' when you like :(

WOW! Great Post. OK, I'm jealous too.... Cool Pics!!! Looks like St. Barts. How was the weather? He may be a pilot, but I seriously doubt he was piloting that plane and taking pictures. That landing requires 100% full-on attention.

I love the caribbean too. I'm counting down the days until my trip to Tortola.

So, I've never been much of a Panerai fan, but they are really starting to grow on me.... Especially with teaser shots from the islands. B)

Edited by HELIAV8R

Thanks for the kind words. And I guess I made the post misleading. I am in no way shape or form a pilot. I love the landing strip because you fly through a small mountain pass to land and take off over a public beach. I have been going to this particular island for years and have a wonderful landlord there who hasn't raised the rent in years so it is still vaguely affordable. At least the dollar has strengthened somewhat against the Euro. This is my 2nd or third year posting pics with whatever watches I bring. I always bring 3 everywhere I go and that is half the fun - picking the watches for any particular trip. I have a nicely worn watch carrier and so the few times customs ever open my bags I only get compliments rather than accused of smuggling in watches. :lol:

The tortoise escapade provided lots of fun for the kids. They have been there longer than the house. The one I wanted to use for the pics is so big that we couldn't pick him up. Now I am back and have to start working on next year's watches. Actually, I must admit that I already have three projects in mind for next year's trip. ;)

Amazing pictures... Wish I had the time to go to the caribbean as well :)

And taking your own plane is the best way of traveling, I miss flying a lot ever since I left the US....

It might be, one never knows, but I doubt it was his own plane.

It appears the picture was taken from a Cessna Caravan,(just like the ones on the ground in the pic), quite a common plane for island hopping. Pic is taken from the right seat (co-pilot), and that plane doesn't require a co-pilot.

BTW, a decent pre-owned Cessna Caravan will cost in the neighborhood of 1.2 - 2 million. (That's more than Dr. Evil asked for when holding the world hostage :o )

This year I left out all the naked women

whautalkinabootwillis <_<

You know I went to Fiji 10 times and I never thought to take happy snaps, of course that was before my RWG days. :)

Good to see you had a great time Kruze.

Ken

You know I went to Fiji 10 times and I never thought to take happy snaps

You know Ken, when I travel, I just take pics of my family. When friends ask; "Wow Dems, you went to Alaska, where are all the great photos"? I just tell them; "Go to the mall and buy the calendar", nothing beats a 'pro' :D

It appears the picture was taken from a Cessna Caravan,(just like the ones on the ground in the pic), quite a common plane for island hopping. Pic is taken from the right seat (co-pilot), and that plane doesn't require a co-pilot.

lol, and this shot was taken by 'kruzer' hanging off the left wing strut about to let go and skydive right into a Corona ad :lol: .........................

Kruz.jpg

Looking at that spinner, I would bet dollars to dimes it were a De Havilland DHC-6 Twin Otter. An old one too.........................

Good times Kruzer! Penny for your thoughts on the best meal you had? Bet it involved Grouper and jerk? You da' man, mon!

Demsey - I will defer to you but all the planes are older prop planes. It is one of those airstrips which I guess is not enough long for bigger traditional commuter planes to land. I think the largest planes holds 10-12 people. Kind of an equalizer because even the very rich guys with their own planes ultimately have to ditch them on a larger island nearby and take one of these. And I gotta say that I agree with you and Ken. Before RWG it was typically all kid pics. Now I have the kids helping me collect tortoises for watch pictures. But my wife gets the credit for that. In spite of the fact she thinks we are nuts she still helps out.:thumbsupsmileyanim:

OK buddy, the Otter holds about 20 so maybe it was a wrong guess.................still it's the king of STOL (short take-off and landing) capability. Adapted to skis and floats, they use them a lot up in 'Nanuq' 's neck of the woods. Considering that one pic on landing, not only is that runway short, you're definately HIGH crossing the threshold, prolly considering the mountain pass you described. Those pilots earn their pay for sure. Tell you what though, the more hairy the op, the safer the flight. 'Boredom' breeds 'complacency' and things happen. That airport looks anything but boring :D

K, love the 024, glad you had a good trip. I live in FLA, but I'm still jealous!