When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Langematik Sax-O-Mat Date

Watchwatcher

A. LANGE & SOHNE Langematik Sax-O-Mat Date

This Langematik Sax-O-Mat (carried by Narikaa) rep is among my favorite dress watches. Even with a simple asian automatic movement, it has kept perfect time and the dual date wheels have operated properly.

The Lange brand dates back to the 1800s, but was lost for some period of time post WWII and recently resurrected. Consequently, while it is a brand with an old history, its model lineup is actually quite modern, most having been introduced within the past 10 years. Consequently, it does not seem to have quite the same following as some of the better known worldclass luxury watch brands.

A little history:

As noted, Lange produced pocket watches for a number of generations prior to WWII which is part of the history of the "old Lange" company. However, in 1945, Russian bombers destroyed part of the Lange factory and in 1948, the East German government nationalized the company and Walter Lange fled to West Germany. In 1951, what remained of the Lange company was consolidated with several other firms and Lange ceased to exist.

In 1990, Walter Lange returned to Glashutte to found Lange Uhren GmbH, and he registered the trademark A. Lange & Sohne. Lange obtained financial backing from the German giant VDO-Mannesmann, which together with IWC and Jaeger LeCoultre form the LMH subsidiary (Les Manufactures Horlogères). The joint Managing Director is Günter Blümlein, formerly of IWC. In 1994, the first A. Lange & Sohne watches from the reborn company were introduced.

Chief Designer Helmut Geyer developed the idea that was to become the Langematik in 1992. In 1997, after five years of development, the Langematik was issued.

The face of the Langematiks pictured below, reflect simple, but elegant styling. I'm not a Lange devotee, but I like their understated appeal. The two digit date window is a bit unique, as it is comprised of two independent wheels at slightly differing heights, the first for the first digit and the second for the digit in the 10s position. On the rep, a "0" is shown in the 10s position during the first 9 days of the month, while on the gen, a blank white space is shown -- some gen owners have remarked that the find that during dates 1-9, the single digit throws off the symmetry of the dial and consequently would prefer a zero rather than a blank space :lol:

I have found the following two pics of the gen models, which this rep most nearly approximates. The Langematik "grosse" (or large) date, is probably the gen version, unless Lange also makes a standard or small date window. The rep is 37mm diameter (same as the gen) although its date window is smaller than the gen pictured below, but nonetheless looks well proportioned to the dial.

6477-5794.jpg

6477-5795.jpg

Here's are pics of the rep:

6477-5796.jpg

6477-5797.jpg

6477-5798.jpg

6477-5799.jpg

Enjoy.

One of the doctors I trained with had a genuine. He said it was a $30,000 watch that he bought at an auction for $13,000. He had money but spent it very wisely. It was platinum and very very heavy. The only other watches he owned were Patek Philippes and a Navy Seals Luminox as his water skiing watch. Some day I hope to make it as big as him.

The Lange reps are getting there......

But a genuine Lange cannot be beat. The movement is just so beautifully decorated and totally immaculately finished. Especially on the Langematiks, where you have that engraved gold/platinum rotor which is a real eye-catcher.

And by the way, the automatic Langes have an ingenious mechanism, where you pull the crown out and the seconds hand pops back to 0, so you can easily synchronise the time.

I agree with thomasng; even when the Lange reps are getting better I think that we never will see a movement inside that could be at lest a "nice" aproximation, any way the rep looks very good if you don´t look at the movement. Btw whatchwatcher your post was a very good reading thanks for sharing

It's reviews like this that makes me enjoy this place. Great pictures, great information and the watch is simple but very elegant.

Well done WW.

• 1 month later...