When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No crown guard Sub

what2

Looking for a no crown guard bond sub, I notice Silix has them but have read some negative reviews. Any other sources selling with the original 38mm case size, I looked at trusty time but his are 41mm like the current subs

Without going to NDTradingcorp.com and paying a lot of money and essentially building a franken, I don't know what you can do.

Here's a case from Silix:

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1886

But the dial and crystal are wrong.

Then maybe you could swap out a dial from Paul:

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1811

Find a decent plastic crystal and bezel insert and you're good to go- assuming you can do the mods.

The Silix case is the one Freddy has done wonders with constructing a 6542 GMT (no cg's).

Or maybe you just buy the watch from Paul and go on down the road- it ain't great, but with a little aging, it might look ok.

there's just not much out there 'out of the box', so to speak.

Without going to NDTradingcorp.com and paying a lot of money and essentially building a franken, I don't know what you can do.

Here's a case from Silix:

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1886

But the dial and crystal are wrong.

Then maybe you could swap out a dial from Paul:

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1811

Find a decent plastic crystal and bezel insert and you're good to go- assuming you can do the mods.

The Silix case is the one Freddy has done wonders with constructing a 6542 GMT (no cg's).

Or maybe you just buy the watch from Paul and go on down the road- it ain't great, but with a little aging, it might look ok.

there's just not much out there 'out of the box', so to speak.

This has probably been asked 1000 times, how does the quality from paul, silix & Andy compare. Being 100% accurate to history does not really bother me as much as the overall look and accurate case size.

This has probably been asked 1000 times, how does the quality from paul, silix & Andy compare. Being 100% accurate to history does not really bother me as much as the overall look and accurate case size.

I have never dealt with Andy, but if, by quality, you mean manufacturing quality, then they are ok (not great, but ok). If you mean accurate, relative to a specific gen model, then no, the quality is poor. Specifically, regarding Alligoat's comments about using Silix cases, you might want to read this, this & this. And to update my 'still waiting' comments in some of those links, to date, I am STILL waiting (& receiving email excuses from Silix describing yet more delays :rolleyes: ).

I have never dealt with Andy, but if, by quality, you mean manufacturing quality, then they are ok (not great, but ok). If you mean accurate, relative to a specific gen model, then no, the quality is poor. Specifically, regarding Alligoat's comments about using Silix cases, you might want to read this, this & this. And to update my 'still waiting' comments in some of those links, to date, I am STILL waiting (& receiving email excuses from Silix describing yet more delays :rolleyes: ).

Looks like Paul is the way to go, and I will keep and eye on the case grinding project

I didn't realize that Freddy was having problems getting the Silix case. I did kind of skim the old post of his and note that the case measure 39.5mm.

That's the same as Paul's 5508. Heck, they could come from the same factory, but the silix one had a very nice bezel- but that could be changing.

Like you say, the one from Paul isn't too bad and properly aged, hardly anyone's going to know- there just aren't that many WIS running around.

I think the one from Silix is the only case available with the coin edge bezel. This may be what freddy is holding out for.

Yes, the Silix ROLS176 is the only rep I have found with both the correct bezel & case dimensions for use in vintage Rolex projects (my 1st 6542 currently resides in 1 & I have a 6536 waiting (since January) for the other to be shipped). The trouble is that Silix is slow to the point that I have finally been forced to seek assistance of the Mods in getting him to respond. After repeated promises (since early February) that 'we will ship your watches this week', all I have received are excuses & apologies, followed by more of the same. Until further notice, I would deal with Silix ONLY as a last resort & ONLY with money you are willing to gamble with.

I wouldn't even deal with Silix under those circumstances, as with a gamble, there's at least the possibility of getting a result. I'd go so far as to say only deal with Silix if it's money you would actually be prepared to flush down the toilet...

Freddy,

Best of luck getting a resolution to your issue. In the end, I just had to wash my hands of the deal. I hope you don't have to do likewise.

Why not? Actually I've had good results with all 3, but I'm not sure what the deal with Silix is currently. Paul did get me an extra dial a few years ago when I was ordering a watch and shipped me a replacement dial when a stick marker fell off of one watch in shipping. I've had good results w/ him.

Over a year ago I asked Jay at Silix about getting a coin edge bezel and a larger crown on the 5510 rep he sold and I bought.

He actually replied and said the demand was too small to do the rep mods.

I have to say that is about the best I ever got from him.

Carl