When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

In praise of smaller reps

mick92627

Good Day Gentlemen,

I've been following the comments of members here as they discuss the pros and cons of the various reps that are popular today. The PAMs with their (well-deserved) cult following and lately the UPOs, Big Pilots, etc. Beautiful watches all; and I've got an SFSO that I just love, clocking in at 43mm.

But I am interested in what the folks here get excited about in the smaller reps. For example, I have the (non-XL) Omega Railmaster. At just 39mm, (which doesn't seem that small to me,) it's my current fave. Having pored over the PAMs, (there's so many of them,) I've concluded that I'm shut out of that game unless and until they bring back a 40mm, like the gorgeous 048 that jitai posted recently. That's a lovely piece.

So what say you, good men and true, of the RWG? When you don't feel like strapping a hockey puck to your wrist, what are the 40mm and below reps lately that command your respect?

Cheers.

Since you include 40mm and below, that pretty much includes all Rolex and Tudor's except the DSSD. The Sub is the most repped watch ever so I am guessing it is still top dog.

I second Dluddy's VC's. Those are striking watches.

For me around that size is perfect for functional use; I've said before in a post that a real part of the enjoyment of watches for me is that we stare at massively huge pictures of these pieces on our screens, and when they get delivered they are tiny in comparison! It seems novel and wonderful at the same time.

Rolex sports models Sub/GMT II are a perfect wristwatch size I think really as far as functionality and wearability. You don't have to go to extra effort to remember that you have high value easily markable object attached to your wrist, and the clarity is good enough to allow perfect legability.

When wearing something like my Seawolf, other people notice it more.. theres more to notice! but things like the elasticated cuffs of leather jackets become an issue, do I have it stretching the elastic underneath the jacket cuff or do I have it lower and sticking out of the jacket exposed to the worlds sharp edges?! I can't get it under shirt cuffs either! And thats with a seawolf, not even the largest of the Breitlings!

The other issue is (and no offense to large watch enthusiasts) that after the short popularity a while back with big watches, they gained an image as 'tacky', where imitation watches and cheap watches in general were all made oversized just to tag along with the fashions. Of course bigger isnt better in the watch world, and the smaller the timepiece is, the smaller and more detailed/precise its components have to be!

I'm against Rolex moving the Datejust size to 41mm, the current 36mm is perfect for what is essentially a simplistic timeless design which speaks volumes through its design staple and heritage rather than its mere 'wrist attendance'. The Datejust was supposed to use its large shine from its small size to speak volumes about understated elegance and class without being obscene and gaudy. *a la Jacob & Co.*

So yeah! I like small watches. I'm not huge on PAMS really, I love the 111 and there is something attractive about a PAM on a chick but I think for the most part they all look alike.. ! *Insert Lynch Mob Here!*

Beautiful 40mm PAM you got there, prsist. Don't often see that one on a bracelet.

Those VCOs have a big presence for 40mm. Nice, dluddy.

For me around that size is perfect for functional use; I've said before in a post that a real part of the enjoyment of watches for me is that we stare at massively huge pictures of these pieces on our screens, and when they get delivered they are tiny in comparison! It seems novel and wonderful at the same time.

Rolex sports models Sub/GMT II are a perfect wristwatch size I think really as far as functionality and wearability. You don't have to go to extra effort to remember that you have high value easily markable object attached to your wrist, and the clarity is good enough to allow perfect legability.

When wearing something like my Seawolf, other people notice it more.. theres more to notice! but things like the elasticated cuffs of leather jackets become an issue, do I have it stretching the elastic underneath the jacket cuff or do I have it lower and sticking out of the jacket exposed to the worlds sharp edges?! I can't get it under shirt cuffs either! And thats with a seawolf, not even the largest of the Breitlings!

The other issue is (and no offense to large watch enthusiasts) that after the short popularity a while back with big watches, they gained an image as 'tacky', where imitation watches and cheap watches in general were all made oversized just to tag along with the fashions. Of course bigger isnt better in the watch world, and the smaller the timepiece is, the smaller and more detailed/precise its components have to be!

I'm against Rolex moving the Datejust size to 41mm, the current 36mm is perfect for what is essentially a simplistic timeless design which speaks volumes through its design staple and heritage rather than its mere 'wrist attendance'. The Datejust was supposed to use its large shine from its small size to speak volumes about understated elegance and class without being obscene and gaudy. *a la Jacob & Co.*

So yeah! I like small watches. I'm not huge on PAMS really, I love the 111 and there is something attractive about a PAM on a chick but I think for the most part they all look alike.. ! *Insert Lynch Mob Here!*

As I collect only "classic" watches (I do not include Rolex, Pams etc) most are under 40mm anyway. The only two larger at 43mm are a Jaquet Dros and a Maurice Lacroix. Usually 35mm to 39mm is the norm.

Suits me as I have a smallish wrist - and I have no love of "lumps" of generally black faced steel oversize watches as I find them both ostentatious and slightly ludicrous.

Classic examples under 40mm I enjoy wearing -

CalaWrist2.jpg

JL01.jpg

CartBalonWrW.jpg

It's just a pity the rep makers didn't put some effort in to these various makes in comparison to the ubiquitos Rolex.

bigger is better imho

I'm with Bossart - Smaller, for me, is almost always better. It's so easy to make a hockey puck stuck on the wrist look silly.

But, to each their own.