When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pondering on my first white dialled watch...

DemonSlayer

I've always worn black dialled watches because I think they suit me the most and of course they can be really versatile. I guess thats probably the main reason why they're usually preferred over white dials.

However, recently I've been thinking that it might not be a bad idea to have one, just one, white dialled watch. The words elegant, classy and understated are usually attributed to the white dialled watches, and now I think I understand why..

I've been eyeing some pictures of the Datejust 116200 White stick dial on TZ, the exact same one that w.genzo owns and can't help but think "what a beauty!" Originally I thought about going for the black dial, but I have a MBK Nautilus which I think shares several similarities. Both have lumed stick markers, date and both are understated and elegant.

Patek-Nautilus.jpgdj3_d.jpg

Another white dialled watch that has really caught my eye is the awesome Ebel Discovery 1911. Of course the 116200 and Discovery are a completely different style of watch, but I think they both look excellent for different reasons.

So for now the choice is between the 116200 DJ or the Discovery..I think. I'm leaning more towards the DJ for a couple of reasons, its going to be about $100 cheaper and also because I have plans to get the Ebel BTR (yellow hands) and can't help but think that the Discovery will be too similar to the BTR, even though the dial color is different.

The VCO white dial is another one I've been thinking about, this watch looks amazing in the pictures and Genta's design is timless.

(Sigh) I don't know.. what do you guys think?

1215795.jpgdj3_e.jpg

I've always worn black dialled watches because I think they suit me the most and of course they can be really versatile. I guess thats probably the main reason why they're usually preferred over white dials.

However, recently I've been thinking that it might not be a bad idea to have one, just one, white dialled watch. The words elegant, classy and understated are usually attributed to the white dialled watches, and now I think I understand why..

I've been eyeing some pictures of the Datejust 116200 White stick dial on TZ, the exact same one that w.genzo owns and can't help but think "what a beauty!" Originally I thought about going for the black dial, but I have a MBK Nautilus which I think shares several similarities. Both have lumed stick markers, date and both are understated and elegant.

Patek-Nautilus.jpgdj3_d.jpg

Another white dialled watch that has really caught my eye is the awesome Ebel Discovery 1911. Of course the 116200 and Discovery are a completely different style of watch, but I think they both look excellent for different reasons.

So for now the choice is between the 116200 DJ or the Discovery..I think. I'm leaning more towards the DJ for a couple of reasons, its going to be about $100 cheaper and also because I have plans to get the Ebel BTR (yellow hands) and can't help but think that the Discovery will be too similar to the BTR, even though the dial color is different.

The VCO white dial is another one I've been thinking about, this watch looks amazing in the pictures and Genta's design is timless.

(Sigh) I don't know.. what do you guys think?

1215795.jpgdj3_e.jpg

I have a gen Explorer II with white dial, and I love it. Many of the active members have a gen or rep in their collection too. Very classy.

Bro, so many options...

The Discovery is an awesome watch. I tried on the gen a while back, and loved it. I am constantly in two minds as to if I should buy myself one. On one hand, I think "Yeah, this is an awesome watch, I really like it!" But, then I also think... "It's not the project watch I plan on building... Would I wear it day in day out, and if not, I couldn't justify the expense...". If you want something different to what you've got, then the Discovery is the way to go... I'd suggest not going with the VCO, as, given your tastes in watches, although you might like pictures of it, I don't think you'd actually like wearing it (exact situation I found myself in...)

I'd suggest a couple of other watches for your consideration... PP Nautilus with white dial... And rather than a white dialled DJ, how about a white dialled AirKing instead? If you weren't worried about it being a purely white dial, how about a Yacht-Master? I'm really liking mine, it's such an easy watch to wear :) Best of luck with your choices :)

DavidBreitling, the Explorer II is a very nice watch. I enjoy looking at pictures of it, I have to check this one out in person. The only thing putting me off getting a rep is that apparantly the rep dial doesn't do this watch justice. According to By-Tor and I'm sure several others, this watch needs to have the gen dial to "understand" it :D

TeeJay, thanks for your response bro, it helped me to consider other choices too :) How have you been?

Thats an interesting opinion about the VCO, I recall way back when you got it, and then sold it to Victoria. A shame as in the pictures it looks awesome and classy, but as you said in reality it can turn out to be quite different. I'll have to think about that one carefully :)

The Air-King is another lovely watch and very passable too (though I don't really care about passability ;). Its definitely understated, seldom seen on the boards and even the gen forums I think. Its hard to beat for its simplicity and versatility. However I think the DJ slightly edges it for me, I prefer the case and the bracelet with the rolesor clasp.

The Nautilus HAS to be in black for me :lol: I've seen some pics of the white dialled version, and though it does certainly look very nice, I think the black dial is too good :D

I owned a noob YM for a very short while courtesy of EuroTimez about a year ago. A lovely watch but I'm edging towards a white dial, and at the moment the GMTIIC is the Rolex sports watch for me.

That Discovery just looks too good to me, and your comments about handling it in the flesh is further convincing me this is the one I should go for. Afterall, its not all that similar to the BTR is it? ;)

The Exp II is quite a nice piece. One thing to consider with all the pieces being considered, is the size. You've got quite a range here with the Patek at around 36mm, DJ around 38mm, the Exp II at 40mm, the Discovery at 44.5mm. The size really makes these pieces quite different.

I would recommend you figure out what kind of piece you feel you need in your collection and not just the design of the watch...as some designs look fantastic but when you see the scale of the watch it can ruin it for you. The Oris line is like this for me...beautiful dials and case from the top view, but their thickness and roundness in the height axis ruin them for me.

If you want something that feels beefy...the Discovery is the way to go...elegant the Patek is more the way to go but I'm not a big fan of the design of the Nautilus. The DJ and Exp II are both great all 'rounders...but find myself not wearing my DJ and Sub all that much given me leaning towards big chunky things more these days.

Don't forget the IWC Spitfire!! I have a review in my sig.

Is there word theres a new BTR in the making? I don't see what incentives the rep makers have to make it, as I don't think they sell in high numbers. I can't help but feel that if it wasn't for By-Tor Ebel wouldn't be known here like it is now :lol:

However I think I might take your advice Col, if I have plans to get both, I might as well wait and see if the factories do indeed release a new BTR. In the meantime I could enjoy the Discovery... looks like Discovery it is then :)

Interesting view Toad. I think my Nautilus fills the dressy/elegant steel watch category, and like you I'm currently into chunky watches at the moment (Skyland black dial has been glued to my wrist in the last few days I got it). I've always had a soft spot for Ebel, and I guess it doesn't help that the Discovery might be the most accurate rep ever made with excellent build quality.

Whatever you do, don't get white Explorer II rep. The hour markers are inaccurate grey and it completely kills it. It's a HUGE flaw.

Discovery is actually 43mm, gen and rep. It's a bit smaller than BTR. The bracelet is different too... BTR bracelet has "rounded edges".

IMG_1464.jpg

White dials aren't probably for everyone, but Discovery is the coolest white dial watch I've owned. And maybe the most accurate replica watch ever.

wristery.jpg

Slask, :lol: yep now its getting too easy to pick the white dialled watch for me ;)

By-Tor I completely agree with you, those grey markers kill it for me, the gen dial looks way better. Damn that BTR looks good.. just look at that bracelet. The Discovery looks like a perfect companion, I might just wait for the new BTR for now (if there ever will be one) and try the Discovery. Too many positive comments about it and it looks stunning in the pics :)

Yeah... I'm actually very surprised how much I like the BTR. The subdial thing doesn't bother me at all, and I seriously doubt I'll get the updated version later (if it even comes out). This is good enough for me... it's the "watch presence" that counts.

Don't forget that BTR is available in white as well.

IMG_1488.jpg

TeeJay, thanks for your response bro, it helped me to consider other choices too :) How have you been?

Thats an interesting opinion about the VCO, I recall way back when you got it, and then sold it to Victoria. A shame as in the pictures it looks awesome and classy, but as you said in reality it can turn out to be quite different. I'll have to think about that one carefully :)

The Air-King is another lovely watch and very passable too (though I don't really care about passability ;). Its definitely understated, seldom seen on the boards and even the gen forums I think. Its hard to beat for its simplicity and versatility. However I think the DJ slightly edges it for me, I prefer the case and the bracelet with the rolesor clasp.

The Nautilus HAS to be in black for me :lol: I've seen some pics of the white dialled version, and though it does certainly look very nice, I think the black dial is too good :D

I owned a noob YM for a very short while courtesy of EuroTimez about a year ago. A lovely watch but I'm edging towards a white dial, and at the moment the GMTIIC is the Rolex sports watch for me.

That Discovery just looks too good to me, and your comments about handling it in the flesh is further convincing me this is the one I should go for. Afterall, its not all that similar to the BTR is it? ;)

No problem, bro, and I've been good, thanks :) All's well, and worries have recently got 'less worrying' :)

To this day, I still can't explain why I couldn't stand to wear the VCO. It looked awesome, was really well made, and even handling it it was a gorgeous watch. But, as soon as it was strapped on, I'd hear "getitoffGetItOffGETITOFF!!!" in my head :D

With regards the Air-King Vs DJ debate, I'd say to consider these questions: When would you be wearing the watch? ie beater, dress watch etc, and depending on that answer, would the date be a necessary function? If you wouldn't be wearing it enough to need the date, I'd say go with this Air-King...

w1-1.jpg

If the date is a necessary function, then I'd suggest this DJ...

w2.jpg

Alternately, there's also the white-dialled variant of the DJ you've already shown, which, with the larger markers, is slightly 'sportier' than the 'stick' markers...

w4.jpg

And, if you wanted something which had a really elegant look, there's this variant with a Tuxedo Dial B)

w3.jpg

With regards the case and bracelet, Tony has a load of DJs for sale, so there's pretty much every combination of case/bracelet available, and, if that fails, he does sell the bracelets individually as well ;)

As for the Discovery... Here's a shot of me trying on the gen... I think it speaks for itself :wub:

IMG_0047.jpg

Whatever you do, don't get white Explorer II rep. The hour markers are inaccurate grey and it completely kills it. It's a HUGE flaw.

Discovery is actually 43mm, gen and rep. It's a bit smaller than BTR. The bracelet is different too... BTR bracelet has "rounded edges".

IMG_1464.jpg

White dials aren't probably for everyone, but Discovery is the coolest white dial watch I've owned. And maybe the most accurate replica watch ever.

wristery.jpg

Glad to see the literature being put to a good use :good:B)

If you like PAMs check out the PAM 00051 (date w/ mag. on a nice SS bracelet, 40mm case)

Everyone has mentioned the Ebel 1911 Discovery (excellent watch, I should know I have one).

I've always fancied the Rolex TurnOgraph (bi-directional bezel, date with mag.) Case is 38mm, though the gen is 36mm).

As for the Discovery... Here's a shot of me trying on the gen... I think it speaks for itself :wub:

IMG_0047.jpg

Thanks for the awesome response bro. I must say that upon further thinking and after seeing that amazing wristshot of the gen, it has to be the Discovery :D

White dials. Hmmm.

Not the Ebel chrono.

Rollis (any) would be better.

How about the Omega Aqua Terra?

BIG white dialed watches seem REALLY big.

40mm to 42mm only, please.

Yes defintely the Aqua Terra.

:( why no love for the Discovery Jeff? I think the perfect white dialled Rolex is the Explorer II, but the rep dial unfortunately doesn't do it any justice. The Omega Aqua Terra is such a classy watch, but I'm smitten by the Discovery :p

If I would be forced to have a white dialed watch, I’ll go for a MBK AP jumbo, those MBK dials are quite nice.

But, from the ones you mention I’ll go with the ebel, it looks great, but if you go rolex, go for the one with numeral markers because with sticks looks very plain. The VCO rep has too many flaws to my taste. Anyway I’m not convinced by white dials on steel watches

Hmm interesting view with the white dial and leather. I've never worn a pure white dialled watch on steel before, I wonder if I will share the same feelings :huh: I think the Ebel Discovery holds the top spot at the moment. I feel like I've worn enough Roman numeral Rolex watches now :lol: need to take a little break from them. I found them especially hard to read in low light conditions. I'll check the AP out, ever since I bought a cheap chrono quartz AP (but well made) I've had a bit of a soft spot for them. It fit my wrist perfectly like the Nautilus.

• 3 weeks later...

A little update :) I received my Discovery this morning.. I'm very impressed. I was afraid the white dial would put me off, but this dial looks so nice, love the "Panda" design. It looks great both with long sleeves and short, I'm wearing it with a t-shirt right now and it looks really good. A couple of quick and dirty shots I took when I got it:

ebeldiscovery001.jpg

ebeldiscovery002.jpg