When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bentson Rolex Case Opener - 29.50 does not open anything

millemiglia

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a set for opening Rolex Cases (Bentson No5537) but it doesn't seem to open anything. The biggest one (29.50) is slightly smaller than both my Rep Daytona and Rep GMT II Ceramic (also tryed on a non ceramic GMT II and Datejust, same story).

The box doesn't seem to be original in my opinion (a picture I saw online displayed the word "ROLEX" on the side of the package - not on mine - and the internal blister was different too, also the the whole Benston print on the cover box is a sticker...)

Could it be that this is a rep-case opener that doesn't work? Am I doing something wrong? :mellow:

Any help is appreciated!

My Rolex set is a Bergeon and it works on my reps. I've never heard of Bentson. I've found that the cheap sets of Rolex case wrenches don't always work very well- best to stick with a well known mfr. Mine cost around $40US- maybe 30 euros, maybe a little more.

The fact is, Bentson part No5537 (the original one at least) is Rolex certified, and costs a lot (paid mine 60Eur), but as I said I'm not convinced this is original, shouldn't the chuck fit firmly on the case back (going evenly down)?

Mine, if I put it perfectly ot the center, doesn't go all the way down and doesnt "grip" the caseback. If I press a little more, it goes down on one side while staying "up" just a little on the other side, it would seem that if it was a tad larger (say, half a millimiter or less) it would fit... (and sadly this is the biggest one in the set,)

I tryed to adjust the position in many ways but it just doesn't firmly fit... :(

My Rolex set is a Bergeon and it works on my reps. I've never heard of Bentson. I've found that the cheap sets of Rolex case wrenches don't always work very well- best to stick with a well known mfr. Mine cost around $40US- maybe 30 euros, maybe a little more.

I'd second that. Buy Bergeon. Accept no substitute.

Tried both... (I bought a sticky ball a couple of months ago) they are very tight and won't budge... :(

I don't have a case holder/bech vice though, are they needed? Or using the correct wrench (Bergeon) should I be able to open the case holding the case with one hand and applying force with the other?

Gio's case back opening tool is adjustable, which might be what it takes on your rep cases. But the 29.5mm should work on the real Rolexes at least. I have one CN sub that's tough to open with the 29.5 die, but it works on the rest of my reps. I don't have a GMT II or a modern Daytona, though.

Gio's case back opening tool is adjustable, which might be what it takes on your rep cases. But the 29.5mm should work on the real Rolexes at least. I have one CN sub that's tough to open with the 29.5 die, but it works on the rest of my reps. I don't have a GMT II or a modern Daytona, though.

But Gio's wrench doesn't seem suitable for oyster type cases (shouldn't it be with the classic chucks?) I fear that the case back could slip underneath if it doesn't grip tightly (thad dented part in the case back is finicky to say the least, one problem being the part that the wrench should grip which is not perpendicular...).

Does anybody have hands on experience with the tool Gio's mentioned?

I have the Bergeon 5338, which is a different tool, however it includes a set of clamps, which fits the "fluted" back watches.

I think that applies to the one Gio has as well.

As long as it is used in conjunction with a case clamp, I can get most everything open, with care.

There are a number of copies of the 5537 tool going around, and the 29.5 die is seriously "out". (Don't specifically know of the Bentson version)

I had one of the copy 5537 tools, and like Toad, I had purchased a new genuine Bergeon die, and filed out the lug fitting area, so it worked on my handle.

I then found that some of the smaller dies were suspect for fit, on some of the copy Rx ladies watches. Now I don't know for certain if the problem is the die or the caseback, but I suspect the casebacks are less than perfect for fit, as the dies thus far, have been OK on the few gens I have needed to open.

Having now purchased the 5338, the 5537 copy tool is consigned to the museum!

Hope this helps.

Offshore

i bought a third party one off ebay(bergeon knock-off) for $30, think it was "headpai" or something like that. works perfect, fits perfect, tightens perfect. the milling isnt as sharp as probably the bergeon tho, and it can occasionally slip when retightening casebacks if you push it.

If i had to buy it again i'd probably buy the LG OPENALL instead

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/LG-Openall...ase-Wrench.html

I'm not sure why your 29.5 doesn't fit. Either your die was cast incorrectly or you have a abnormal case-back that isn't to spec. I use my 29.5 to open all my oysters...

5537.jpg

...except for the DSSD, as a 29.5 is about 6mm too small, which is why I use the wrench:

2819-4.jpg

And yes, you have to know exactly what you're doing & be careful, or you will scratch your case-back. For some cases (as it sounds like yours) the wrench is the only other option.

What seems weird to me, is that I tried the 29.50 on the following: GMT II Ceramic, GMT II Pepsi, Date Just man size, Daytona.

It doesn't work with any of the above (it would seem "half a mm" smaller than it should be) aside from Subs, is there any other REP RLX watch that you open with the 29.50? Or should I assume that thi kind of "six chucks set" is only good for Subs and Ladies watches? :huh: