When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Truth or Dare

Hi All

This may have all been discussed before or may even be too emotive, but here goes...

Being pretty new to all of this game and to be honest being amazed by the quality of the products (only ever experienced a dodgy looking piece in Rome before), I am now wondering how I am going amswer the inevitable questions about my new SOSF and PO when I wear them in public. I don't feel I could deceive my friends if they ask but at the same time I think they will think they are real.

How have you all approached this or am I being too sensitive :huh:

Edited by Scrumpyjack

I've been wearing reps for years. People have said 'nice watch' about a dozen times, but only once have I been asked 'is it real?' and that was a Rolex (and you'll occasionally get asked that even if it's a gen).

My response was to tell the person involved to get back to work (it's good being the boss sometimes), but if a friend had asked I'd have told them it was a rep. Anybody else, my response would have been, 'what do you think?'.

It's a non-issue. Trust me.

You probably will never get tha 'inevitable' question as you say. In twenty years I've never even been asked about a watch I was wearing. But if I ever was why would I lie? That would mean I was using my rep to impress others and get in chicks pants.

Well thanks for the points of view and the interesting perceptions on motivation :)...

It's not so much about lieing but, unless I am mistaken it is essentially illegal (UK) and when considered from that point of view I would probably just tend to avoid answering the question.

With regard to creating an impression, I suppose an element of the desire to have these time pieces is to feel good about wearing it/them. Not sure if that means I would be trying to impress others or not, it certainly is not a concious thing.

It is really intersting that the common view seems to be no one asks, I have up to now just assumed that people notice these things. I will just have to see I suppose.

Most of my reps will pass the 1 meter away test, some might even pass close inspection but if i am ever asked.... I'll say its a rep. The thing is nobody ever ever actually asks the golden question.

I know of someone who has poor reps and says they are real.... I'll let him be but come on.... a quartz AP Alinghi and a B&R with wrong date window location??? Feel sorry for him actually.

Cheers

siesta181

I will agree with what the other members have already said. The truth Is that most people dont know jack sh#@ about watches.Rolex Is the only brand that might get a response. The most I ever hear Is "nice watch" Thats It and thats rare. I did read a article not long ago about women sizing up a man. One of the first things a women looks for Is a nice watch, shallow but true. :mellow: Mike

Always the truth :) Anything less, is asking to be publicly embarrassed if the person then points out all the tells :lol:

As people have said above, chances are no one will make any comment beyond 'nice watch'. People only question Rolex, because they know it is such a copied brand. It's not a case of trying to call someone out, probably just a genuine interest to find out if it is a real one or a fake one, and the 'nice watch' status will likely remain regardless of the answer :lol:

Someone I was working with today put their 'Bell & Ross' on the table and while he was out of the room I had a quick look. Very nice watch I thought he came back and I said "great watch" he said "thanks - its a fake!" couldn't believe it..great quality, would never have guessed it.

I was wearing a fake PO but he didn't ask about mine so I didn't mention it. Just proves even us collectors can get fooled outside of our particular rep areas of interest. Must prove that for your average Joe they would never know whether a watch was genuine or not (exclude Rolex) or even think to guess.

Edited by vulcangascompany

Freddy333's post above leads to my view on the subject. If the shoes, cloths, other accessories like pens and sunglasses match, it is hard to spot a "quality" rep.

Funny thing is, if I see a PAM on a non-OE PAM strap, I tend to think the person is "one of us".

There are days I wish we had a secret handshake or something. I don't mind deceiving the masses, but would welcome an honest discussion with others like us.

There are days I wish we had a secret handshake or something. I don't mind deceiving the masses, but would welcome an honest discussion with others like us.

THats interesting..in my above post the guy with the Bell & Ross lets people who he doesn't like think that the watch is genuine, others who are his friends he's quite happy to tell them its a fake!