When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My lucky find

JoJo35

Those of you who appreciate mid-sizes should like this story :)

Sometime last summer I was planning a project that needed a gen 1560 movement. I began searching on the bay, in hopes that I would find a movement that wouldn't cost too

much. Experience taught me to search for a complete watch, since bare movements proved to be questionable at best.

I finally found a 1005 Oyster Perpetual that had a 1560, and was fairly reasonable in price (considering the average price gen movements go for).

When the watch finally arrived at my doorstep, I quickly unwrapped it and removed the caseback to take a look at the movement, which was indeed a 1560 that appeared to be in good running condition (It was, after all, a forty five year old watch).

It ended up on top of my parts box as other projects and "life" took priorities over my anticipated watch project.

Only recently, I was cleaning up my workbench when I decided to have a better look at the watch I had bought. I took a closer look at the dial, and (I'll be damned!) it was an untouched original underline dial! Woohoo!!! :Jumpy:

Ok, I know it's only a 1005, but it is a very rare one. Underline dials are few and far between, and the reasons for the underline are still hotly debated on gen forums.

Here's some pics, enjoy:

Rolex1005015.jpg

Rolex1005002.jpg

Rolex1005010.jpg

Rolex1005023.jpg

Rolex1005021.jpg

Rolex1005024.jpg

Rolex1005026.jpg

A very beautiful watch. Love those alpha hands. I'd figure circa 1963-65 and it's a perfect example of Rolex understatement. Great two tone looks with the silver dial with gold stick markers, dark brown croc (alligator?) strap and the earlier 1560 chronometer movement. I can certainly understand why you couldn't tear that watch apart.

A very beautiful watch. Love those alpha hands. I'd figure circa 1963-65 and it's a perfect example of Rolex understatement. Great two tone looks with the silver dial with gold stick markers, dark brown croc (alligator?) strap and the earlier 1560 chronometer movement. I can certainly understand why you couldn't tear that watch apart.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Alligoat, you are correct, the serial number is just over one mil, putting the watch into early '64. :)