When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would I be better off with a high quality fake or a equivalent price lower brand watch

nicefake

Sort of covered in the title.

I have been looking at invicta as a reasonable priced alternative to a replica.

I want something a bit like an aquanautic king cuda or an invicta sub-aqua

Any suggestions?

Also who are good for replicas in or near the uk?

Regards

Aaah...the Super Noob Question. So many questions...too many answer to give.

The question you really want to answer for YOURSELF is:

Will the design of the Invicta beat the design of the high end brands?

If you need it for swimming or diving...the chronos you are considering in the Invicta line may well be better as many of the chrono reps do not pass pressure tests. It's hit and miss. If you are able to have a dedicated water watch, and want a nicer dry-land watch...I think a scan of the reviews of watches on this site will open your eyes to the beauty of some of the watches out there in Rep-Land.

Who to buy from?

Read the Noob Guide linked in my signature to get you started.

You just found yourself the best watch forum around. The most knowledgeable and helpful. Consider yourself lucky!!

Do yourself a favour and read the various reviews in the different brand sections, search for more reviews and you will have a whole new world of amazing watches open before you.

Yes this is a historic question for the ages. Maybe I can shed some light.

I have been collecting watches for about 20 years, and I am ony 33. I watch shop NBC regularly. I have owned huundreds of watches. I really like Invicta, Swiss Legend, ETC.

I have never bought an Invicta, Swiss legend, or any other low priced gen. I just can't see spending that kind of money on a quartz watch. Then they have the Automatic chronographs from time to time. I can't see myself spending over $1,000 on an Invicta. Add a little more and I have a pre-oned genuine Omega, breitling or some other REAL watch brand.

Todays replicas come with all the features of the big brands regardless of what is on the dial. They have sapphire crystals, automatic movements (sometimes swiss), automatic chronograph movements and AR coating. They even have genuine ceramic and high quality gold plating. To me a $400 replica has much more value and features I look for in a watch than a $400 Invicta. I know I wouldn't be happy with one of those. Maybe someday when I can't find a good rep to buy then I will buy an Invicta.

Edited by jfreeman420

Good points on the Dive/Quality/WR side above.

Ask yourself the following questions:

1.) Do you work in the traditional business world where reputations matter? (Sales, Lawyer, Professional, Sr. Mgmt, etc)?

2.) IF you are ever called out, will it reflect negatively on you in above roles?

If your answers are NO/NO or YES/NO, go rep. If your answers are YES/YES, own at least one respectable, affordable gen, and reps for fun, or "off / non-important" days.

In my daily life, I have certain business affairs, that getting called out could in fact be a bad thing -or- there are times I do not want to appear "better off" than some co-workers, peers, clients. (I am probably paranoid, but some of it is out of respect)

In these economic times, the guy who can afford the Rolex (real or believable rep) may not fair as well as the guy with 2 kids and a 3rd on the way. It is discrimination, but believe me-- these discussions happen behind closed doors. Sometimes you need to fly under the radar.

Own both...

Welcome to RWG. I would have to say that you have been given great advice from experenced members. Im my opinion the chances of you being called out on a rep Is about the same as winning the lotto, It happens but very unlikely. Now watch It happen to you on the first day you wear the watch, :D I purchased a Invicta I force about a month ago. I returned It because It was just a nice watch, thats all there was. When you open that package that you been waiting for from China, well It special. When you experence this you will know what I mean. Go ahead I dare ya, I double dare ya. :p Mike

This "hobby" for me as for many others is not about "fakes" it is in large part about the History of the vintages.. Rolex, Tudor.. IWC..

and many other brands..

if you start looking to mod a replica to specs you will feel the rewarding accomplishment that comes from the watch hobby..

when I buy a genuine .. I buy it put it on..

To source genuine parts .. ie. dials .. crystals.. etc. it's the "hunt" and the finding of the parts that gives me the rush.. and to have them all come together is another rush..

some members have the skills to mod and build their own frankens..

I'm not there .. so I send them away to be built. .. but just the same the rewards of having a part in the build is pure pleasure..

it's hard to explain the satisfaction.. I wear my Rolex 1655 more than I do my genuine 6760 GMT.. it took over a year to source all the parts and I ran into many walls with the project.. but when it was finally finished.. I love that piece..

A very good friend is just finished building a Tudor Snowflake with genuine dial etc. .. it will certainly be very special.. after a year of sourcing and again .. walls,.. he really saved the project for me.. and now this franken has a beautiful history of it's own..

But to each his own.. that is what makes this hobby so unique.. it's different things for everyone.. and the same also.. B)

aloha

L

diamondheadcrater012.jpg

Thanks for all the replys

next question. eshopping88 on cqout. As anyone had any experience. I was thinking of buying a 7750 daytona and the cheaper planet ocean and longines grand vitessa.

DON'T!!!! :o

Seriously - if you want a decent rep at the right price with some chance of after-sales service should there be a problem, stay far, far away from cqout, ioffer and the like.

Take a look at the recommended dealers here - if a rep is available, one or more of them will be able to source it for you and you'll have a safety net should things go wrong (as they often do with 7750 daytonas - one of the least reliable reps in the marketplace, I'm afraid, due to the modifications needed for the 7750 to do seconds@6).

Interesting question..i have thought about this alot. I bought an Alpha PO homage and i thought it was OK - it wasn't until a WatchEden PO rep arrived that I realised the Alpha wasn't that great. Its reserve isn't too hot and can stop over night the finish is alright for the money but the PO rep is soooo much better. I would call it almost refined nicely finished lovely blue tint to the glass and great reserve. These watches were about the same price this forum really finds some bargains in the watch world.

Thanks for all the replys

next question. eshopping88 on cqout. As anyone had any experience. I was thinking of buying a 7750 daytona and the cheaper planet ocean and longines grand vitessa.

Check their feedback and see for yourself what others have said about them :) Folks here get nervous about dealers who aren't listed here, and start thinking that any other dealer is a scammer... My primary dealer was originally on CQout, and is now considered a trusted dealer by many members here. CQout have excellent policing of their dealers, and once someone gets over 3 negative feedbacks, they get their account revoked (even if the negatives are stupid complaints which could have been resolved simply by talking to the dealer) If they also use the CQout escrow service, then there is zero risk to your money. If the goods don't arrive, aren't satisfactory, then simply return them, and the money is returned... Best of luck with your purchases :)