When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just how close is the UPO to the Gen Omega PO?

john7830

By all accounts it is pretty close. Could someone who perhaps owns both comment here?

Im saving for a Gen PO, BUT a nice Rep would certainly be a nice thing to have as a fill in, and at roughly 1/10th the price of the Gen I could buy that now to tide me over while I put money into the Gen PO fund. :D

Thanks for any help guys!

"close but no cigar"

The UPO is a great watch to wear unmodded and of course modded. Several members have modded the UPO to include the following OEM Parts:

Gen Dial

Gen Hands

As for the crystal, some have either purchased a gen crystal or sent it off to Chief for his kick-ass A/R treatment.

Then there's some who modded their UPOs with a gen tube , crown & HE valve

Then there's a couple of who went out and bought a gen bezel to use the pearl

Lastly - some went out and bought a gen rubber strap too

Am I missing anything else ?!?!?!?

"close but no cigar"

The UPO is a great watch to wear unmodded and of course modded. Several members have modded the UPO to include the following OEM Parts:

Gen Dial

Gen Hands

As for the crystal, some have either purchased a gen crystal or sent it off to Chief for his kick-ass A/R treatment.

Then there's some who modded their UPOs with a gen tube , crown & HE valve

Then there's a couple of who went out and bought a gen bezel to use the pearl

Lastly - some went out and bought a gen rubber strap too

Am I missing anything else ?!?!?!?

Yes... gen caseback. :)

haha yeah you pretty much got it all TRIPLE....

the UPO can be VERY close... if you do all the mods posted by triple and cougaree but its gonnaaaaa costa ya ;)

all the parts are available at offrei

example : gen dial is around 223$, gen crown/tube (must buy it together) is around 60$, hands are around $20 each? so 40$.. then all you would have to do is get DOUBLE AR (around 100$)....and you're pretty much set.

So you're looking at asian movt UPO- 230+223+60+40+100 = around $650... :huh:

Chances are you will be quite happy to wear the UPO in its standed form untill your gen is on your wrist. It's one of the better reps. The one mod you may consider is the crown and tube as the origenal can be fragile. Wait untill it plays up tho as if youre carefull with screwing it in it will be fine. AR is nice on these. The gen/rep pic above shows the difference AR makes on this watch.

Col.

AR is the only required upgrade in my opinion, once you have that you'll fool pretty much everyone. The crown is only really required if you strip yours, and the HE valve can be easily sorted with some epoxy inside to water proof it.

Most of the other upgrades really only show side by side with a genuine, and even then only just.. in the real world the rep hands, dial and bezel are close enough.

Out of the box the UPO is pretty darn good.

My problem has always been that I focus on the bits I know are 'giveaways' such as the dial/hands lume, bezel insert.

The best quality of a rep (and probably the reason why watch companies aren't intent on closing rep factories) is that it makes you want the gen.

The beauty of the planet ocean is that it comes in different colour options, what better way to have both is to have a gen in your favourite colour and a rep in your second choice, best of both worlds, go for it.

Having owned a number of UPOs and a gen 45mm, I can tell you if you like the PO, then save for the genuine. Everything about the genuine is just that little bit better.....the dial texture, the AR, the movement, the crown and stem, the build quality etc....

Check out the review of the gen in my signature, that might be of some help.

i asked this question before and never got a straight answer:

to be able to mod a PO, does it have to be a UPO? or would the $128 asian clone version do?

it says that the case structure is the same..

im only interested in buying it and modding it with a gen dial, maybe a 42mm PO too

to be able to mod a PO, does it have to be a UPO? or would the $128 asian clone version do?

it says that the case structure is the same..

im only interested in buying it and modding it with a gen dial, maybe a 42mm PO too

The cheaper ones I have seen have an incorrectly placed He valve. I don't know whether theywould accpet genuine parst either as most of the projects are undertaken on the UPO, so a different case set projectmight be a little risky.

I really believe to get a good Planet Ocean replica, all you need is an UPO with a double AR coating, it makes all of the difference. Spending more than this really makes the genuine the better option at the prices you can get them at on the second hand market.

Make sure its a true ETA Clone and not an asian with a swiss case. If its an a true ETA Clone - then yes, it will accept gen parts.. I have a UPO with a cloned movement and threw on the gen hands. Im ready to throw on the gen dial too.

WOW! Thanks for all of these replies guys. Great forum we have here.

I have the reverse problem, I wanted the Gen before I ever knew there WAS a rep of the watch. I have always been an Omega fan. I love the Speedmaster series and the older and current Seamasters are all beautiful pieces. BUT the PO is just IT for me. If money were no object I would own one of every ilk. :D

That one shot of the gen and rep side by side is actually disturbing in a sense. Except for the AR glass, where it look like there is no glass at all on that gen dial, they are very close indeed. I may just keep saving up for the Gen, though that UPO is very tempting and would be nice for occasions where I wouldnt want to wear a Gen PO.

Hmmm. Tough choices in life, but fun ones none the less.

WOW! Thanks for all of these replies guys. Great forum we have here.

I have the reverse problem, I wanted the Gen before I ever knew there WAS a rep of the watch. I have always been an Omega fan. I love the Speedmaster series and the older and current Seamasters are all beautiful pieces. BUT the PO is just IT for me. If money were no object I would own one of every ilk. :D

That one shot of the gen and rep side by side is actually disturbing in a sense. Except for the AR glass, where it look like there is no glass at all on that gen dial, they are very close indeed. I may just keep saving up for the Gen, though that UPO is very tempting and would be nice for occasions where I wouldnt want to wear a Gen PO.

Hmmm. Tough choices in life, but fun ones none the less.

get the gen.. for me theres just too many flaws in the rep :(.. but then again.. the quality of the upo is actually very good and will fool most ppl but for me it doesn't have that 'aura' or 'charisma' of an expensive watch... but thats just me.. and thats because i know all the flaws..

I really believe to get a good Planet Ocean replica, all you need is an UPO with a double AR coating, it makes all of the difference. Spending more than this really makes the genuine the better option at the prices you can get them at on the second hand market.

all i want is to get a gen dial, the whole thing would cost around $400-$500, and thats not even close to a second hand gen!

Make sure its a true ETA Clone and not an asian with a swiss case. If its an a true ETA Clone - then yes, it will accept gen parts.. I have a UPO with a cloned movement and threw on the gen hands. Im ready to throw on the gen dial too.

So would the POs from watcheden.com qualify? like this one

So would the POs from watcheden.com qualify? like this one

Keep in mind - the UPO is 45.5mm where as other POs are 44.5mm or 45mm. Be sure to ask WatchEden the exact size of this watch. Also - he doesnt even list the lug width - which should be 22mm. Some 45 POs are 20mm - incorrect.

Lastly - this is an Asian movement - NOT an Asian ETA Clone. Therefore, you would have to source that movement.

You may as well just purchase either a Swiss UPO or a Cloned UPO and go from there.

so where can i find a clone UPO?

and what about a 42mm PO that could work for swapping a gen dial?

thx guys

Usually the clones go for about $200, where as lately, UPOs have been going for $250 in the sales section. Also - there have been a few that have already been modded - so, less work for ya :)