When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Project Egiziano complete.

pbdad

Took me about a solid week to complete and I am very happy with the results.

I guess I owe the community a little explanation of what was done to this watch to to get it to where it currently is.

-I tore the watch completely down.

-modded the dial cleaning up the somewhat messy text paint while softening the dial's gloss.

-stripped the lume off the backplate and hands and custom painted them to get a realistic vintage amber to them.

-painted the seconds hand white like many of the gens

-shortened the case tube so the crown would sit closer to the case per gen

-worked and re-worked the CG to get it to fit the case a bit better.

-custom made the new CG pin and rounded and polished it.

-re-shaped the lugs to accurately mirror the gen ones in a pic I found. Not the exact shape as the gen, but close enough with the limted amount of material and space I had to work with on the case.

-softened all sharp edges of the case to depict realistic wear

-sent the case and buckle to Avitt to have it AgO blasted; texturizing and darken it.

-aged the case and buckle

-fabricated a custom spacer to allow the crystal to sit 1.5mm taller

-replaced the pop-in pearl with my own recipe

Only things left to do is find some vintage push pins to replace the modern springbars and couple the entire project with a nice vintage style strap!

Enjoy the pics... :)

OK, here's what we started with from DSN

DSCF0409.jpg

Notice the shape of the lugs in this pic

DSCF0376-1.jpg

chop shopped

IMG_8686.jpg

Here's my inspiration

egiz_1.jpg

check out the gen's lug's shape

LuminorPaneraiBigEgyptian3.jpg

and here's mine interpretation

IMG_8759.jpg

and my newly re-shaped lugs

IMG_8760.jpg

-

Guest avitt

Thanks for the full lowdown, pbdad :good:

Just one small correction to my portion: AgO is Silver Oxide...And while I do like to think of myself as made of money, I actually used the much more pedestrian Aluminum Oxide (Al2O3) to blast the case.

Thanks for the full lowdown, pbdad :good:

Just one small correction to my portion: AgO is Silver Oxide...And while I do like to think of myself as made of money, I actually used the much more pedestrian Aluminum Oxide (Al2O3) to blast the case.

Hehe, I thought to myself when reading the "recipy", 'WTF, is he using SILVER as a blasting media?!?!?!'. :bye2::blink:

Obviously not... :bangin:

Nice project! :D

Seconded :)

Plus is that a rep p.2002 movt? I spy some very distinctive bridge plates there. Wasn't aware that had been done.

Amazing job on the project - the coating really looks great, and the other mods compliment it nicely. I'd second the question above - I've seen the rep movement before, but it looks like an Asian 21J base - is this correct? If so, I'd be interested to find out the canon pinion height / sub dial spacing, as I recall that A21J Auto's have subdials at about 9mm - in which case, it's compatible with a certain custom made Angelus dial ;) !