When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Being "Called Out"

lanikai

It's natural to be 'worried' about~

Being Called Out :rolleyes:

I am not at all worried nor self concious about the "words" ;)

my simple reply would be...

"I had this watch built" from genuine parts.. by a very good friend..

and of course I wouldn't be lying :D .. and I would name the parts.. and the history behind the piece..

30042990.jpg

For my 1655.. I would say... "are you kidding?.. do you know what a genuine 1655 would cost?.. this is my "hobby" and it took a year to source all the parts for this tribute to the 1655 .. with some genuine parts.. crystal.. crown.." :)

csc0011.jpg

for my 029 it has been relumed/modded.. modded with a lello DW.. that was custom made in Italy .. B) genuine OEM crown.. .. it's my hobby :D

87003325.jpg

I guess .. my point is I wouldn't wear a 40k AP to a function that has people wearing genuine AP's... common sense is the guide..

and most of all .. I don't "try" to pass anything off as a Genuine.. that "mind set" sets one up for embarrasing situations...

Offense .. better than Defense in my case..

and usually if you get done with the history and passion of the brand.. people kinda look in awe.. since a lot of genuine owners.. buy it.. strap it on and know nothing of the history or nuances behind horology.. not that I'm an expert.. far from it.. but compared to the average genuine owner, and not genuine owners here.... this forum has taught me more about watches than anyone calling me out could ever do.. ;)

So the next time some jerk calls you out at a party.. or where eva .. let um have it with the knowledge you built here...

I just wanted to share a little of how I view this "hobby" of ours..

A~C

Lani

Lani, you're absolutely right.

I'm PROUD of my reps, and that includes the very fact that they ARE replicas! Not only that, but this hobby has led to my learning an incredible amount about a subject that I really appreciate, as a professional engineer. Surprisingly, (or maybe not so surprisingly!) these skills have also carried over into another area that I love- aviation history and antique aircraft restoration. I've found that I have greater confidence in my ability to work on restorations in that field- for example, I've restored two WW2 Norden bombsights to working condition, one of which is in the nose of a B-17 bomber at the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

Damned addicting, this!

Great topic!

Today I was looking at possibly buying a new Mini Cooper. I'm in the showroom wearing my Gen PAM048. First thing I notice on the sales guy is that he's wearing a Rep Panerai! I was actually kinda chuffed by it. We were talking about a deal (bloody good deal too, but my partner said no :( ) and I just said to him 'dude is that a fake Panerai???' he goes 'yeh sure is, isn't it cool' I said 'sure is, here put it next to my real one' he did that and we compared them for a min or two. It was fun. I think the way he handled it was really good, just up front and proud. Who cares they are just 'things' at the end of the day. People get too hung up on 'things'.

Love your Tudor, its a great looking watch. In Aus, you'd be lucky to ever get pulled up on that one.. nobody would know.

I must say, since finding this site.. I'm very tempted to sell my PAM048 and put the money towards buying a MINI hmmmmmmm I now know that I can have lots of fun buying and building reps.

Great topic indeed Lani.

Replying like you do is exactly what I do.

I've never really been called out by stranger though.

Only friends are asking if it's a "real Rolex" and then I start to list the work and parts needed to achieve this homage to one of my favourite watche.

And yes, I'm proud of our hobby and the watches that are in my small collection. :p

Nice topic L, I'm actually surprised to read a topic about being called out from you. Tis a brave 'mother that tries to call you out, I'm tellin ya. Something must have prompted this post though, for sure!

Although I can't imagine being able to say that about any of my pieces, there's little history behind unmodded watches such as mine.

"This was 'created lovingly' by young chinese men from a mixture of parts that would offend most swiss watchmakers :D"

I have much knowledge about the watches, sure. But does not modding or trying to get vintage pieces show less enthusiasm for the hobby? I don't know - perhaps it does.

P1000742.jpg

Ain't too proud to Beg, Ain't too proud to Rep....

The knowledge that is embedded by an individual who dwells into both spectrums of the Replica and Genuine world is priceless. You cannot buy details nor "an eye" for differences. One reads, absorbs and put them to good use.

DSC_0177Medium.jpg

I love my Genuines in all its glory, if I could go back in time to the 1950s, 60s and 70s, I would devour all the genuine(s) to my fill.

2078of1.jpg

Replica serve any functions in so many degrees. The layers upon layers of difficulty in sourcing for parts is a pleasure all by itself. For me, when I travel to developing countries where national security is not that great, I will strap on a out of the box rep just to be safe, in case of a hostile situation at gun or knife point, it will lessen the heartache as opposed to a gen.

Genuine & rep collectors themselves build up hard to find models from searching for genuine parts, it's the same game, just on different levels.

Bearing in mind that we have all got economic constraints of our own --- some are able to go all the way, others in progressive stages.

Personally if one were to call me out, I would just shrug and "Heya, I fly both worlds and sure as hell is a ride, how's your singular world working out for you?" I love and embrace different dimensions and perspectives, that's my prerogative period. :)

P1000693cc10.jpg

I always enjoy telling people about my adventures in building. Most find it interesting and intriguing that I build my pieces myself. Most end up asking me if I can build them something as well :)

A few of my projects that are either in the collection, or have come and gone...

16520's with EP400/3019's

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4504.jpg

IMG_4495.jpg

9411 with the works

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

WM9 16610 fited with a buncha gen stuffs

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

Old MBW 1665 (my old test mule watch)

195_9539.jpg

195_9579.jpg

14270; gen cased franken

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

Old MBW 1680 based 7928

166_6688.jpg

16234; gen cased franken

171_7107.jpg

184_8462.jpg

Old Swiss V23 built DW 6263

204_0466.jpg

FGD dialed Pre-A 002/jimmy case

IMG_5201.jpg

IMG_7161.jpg

watchmaster one off custom inked ubi-dialed radiomir hommage

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1698.jpg

old radiomir hommage with watchmaster dial

132_3266.jpg

179_7934.jpg

PAM10 that never really came to light

IMG_3162.jpg

Quality of pics will probably be a good identifier of when these were done...

:)

Sorry elepaolo- That watch was given to my father a few years ago :)

-Gen 16234 case

-Gen 16234 dial

-Gen crown

-Gen 18k WG fluted bezel

-Gen 295C

-Tudor hands

-ETA 2824

-Rep bracelet

Easy to build... And with gen DJ case sets readily available on the Bay, this is a cost efficient project as well! The 14270 a few spots above it was also built on the same basic premise with a gen DJ case/crystal with cyclops removed, etc.

Building watches is what truly makes this a hobbyist's hobby, whereas gens are more of a collector's hobby, in my opinion. Both are great, but building frankens is more of a hands on approach, which is what I prefer.

I posted this topic ... because of all the posts I've read by Noobs in the last couple of months :)

I don't say that as a negative.. it is natural in the evolution of this hobby to feel that way..

But evolving with replicas is an aventure !

Someone asked in a thread which dial is best for a franken DRSD... NDT or just to stay with the MBK..

Well, as Ubi demonstrates with his frankens.. genuine dials ..nuff said.

for myself the only way I would call a watch "Franken" is for that piece to have a genuine dial.. I don't consider my 1655 a "franken"..

but my Tudor snowflake I consider a true Franken.. Ubifranken that is.. and I would love for anyone to ask about it .. because it was definately the journey that was the experience in this my prized sub... the destination was exciting... the anticipation was an awesome experience. !! and the hours of research into my 1655 made it all the more pleasurable !!

my point ??

I hope the new comers will experience the joy and fun and also some dissapointments (that just build experience) that I have..

This Hobby is what led to my aquiring some humble vintage genuines.. although I must say I prize some of my reps on an equal if not higher basis... because I was involved in a small way to see them come true.

@ammandel.. don't sweat it !! you will have your genuine someday.. just enjoy the ride and = let this hobby take you along for the ride.. B)

A~C

Lani

It's interesting. Even though I have no "real" frankens, I have found that describing the tinkering, the modding, etc has really opened doors to talking about watches with people...being very up front about the reps. I have found people to be quite fascinated about them, after you are able to represent them as more than just a NYC fake LV handbag...but something with history behind it, eye for detail, etc.

I have never been asked.

I wear reps most of the time.

If you are of an age and the other parts fit together, you will not be asked.

Carl

To Clarify Carl..

I do not mean to "prepare" for anyone to be called out.. rather it shouldn't be the main focus of collecting reps...

but if you "should" it's not a big deal

a lot of times I see newer members posting about owning mainly genuines and this is just "fun".. that just sounds like an adendum to buying reps..

in other words .. it's not something that I worry about or that is on my mind whist wearing a rep..

I wanted to make that point in my post.. :)

A~C

Lani

Great post my friend. I could not agree more. My Dentest asked me If I had a new watch. He was hovering above me while filling a cavity. He has a Tag Link and some other nice watches. My answear was " It's a high end rep" I was wearing my Pam 250. He was so Impressed that he became a member at RWG. I like the way you handdle It even better, sounds more interesting :thumbs: I tryed the honest approach and It worked for me, no regrets :) Mike

New Yorkers crack me up !!!

I had a buddy that moved here...

he onced yelled out his car window at another car that was driving too slow.. the car stopped and out pooped a 300 lb. Polynesian ... it was the last time he ever did that in Hawaii.. he apologized to the "Lady" and went on his way.. :lol:

Good topic Lan the man. I've run into a lot of this lately, my watches are getting attention. :)

It's second nature for me now to immediately disclose they are reps. If they are people I know, then I provide two links. One to here, another to a collector. I'll talk about watches a bit, telling them if they enjoy watches and want to learn more, to come join RWG.

Last week, and for the very first time, I got called out in public. "Is that real?" said the guy in the bar. "No, it's a [censored]' tattoo," I replied in my best 'don't mess with me' voice. Lots of laughs. End of conversation.

Last week, and for the very first time, I got called out in public. "Is that real?" said the guy in the bar. "No, it's a fuckin' tattoo," I replied in my best 'don't mess with me' voice. Lots of laughs. End of conversation.

:rofl:

ubiquitous Posted Yesterday, 08:32 AM

ROFL. I have to say... This really made me chuckle...

oops.. yeah.. kinda hard to poop 300lbs.... :p