When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fifty Fathoms vintage

ubiquitous

Hey gang-

Just wanted to share my new acquisition that landed on the door step yesterday. With the help of some friends (Lani, Kruz and TMG), I got my hands on one of DSN's new Fifty Fathoms offerings. Lani and Kruzer helped coordinate the logistics and TMG ultimately helped make up my mind with pics of his own FF :) So, my thanks to you guys ^_^

Now, I know this run of Fifty Fathoms are not the most accurate with regards to matching their gen counterparts 100%. Granted, there are numerous variations in dial/bezel/case configurations out there for gen, I do think that there are some significant differences with the rep. In my particular instance, I decided to go for the Tornek dialed piece, and I view this watch as being more of a re-creation or hommage, similar in the way that others have handled reissues (Precista/TF, MKII, etc). So, the inaccuracies don't bother me a whole lot with this mind set. Plus, the dial is rather simple, plain and signed by something that appears to be completely inconspicuous. Very low key and low profile.

At any rate, here are some pics. This one's got a pretty chunky case... A bit bigger than I really expected. I threw it on a grey G10, which was my wife's choosing; she thought it would go great with the little humidity indicator on the dial :)

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

Been wearing it all day, and it sits on the wrist rather well, despite it's heft. My only complaint, which isn't a fault of the watch is the scratchy G10 I put it on. Some rough spots that I'll have to figure out. Otherwise, it's a great combo... Very relaxed and casual.

At any rate, I'm really enjoying it; very fun piece and I'm glad I got it. I've always wanted a vintage Fifty Fathoms, but never got around to buying one when they were relatively inexpensive. I was kicking myself up to the point where I decided to give this one a try. So far, I think it's satiated my desire for the gen vintage; but I may venture out further and give some of the other Fifty Fathoms re-creations a try; MKII's Tornek dialed variant is looking quite promising.

Next trip is to the local guy's pressure tester and then, who knows? I thought about maybe vintagizing, but I'm undecided if that will be the case as of yet.

We'll see...

Thanks for looking,

R

Very nice Ubi...

Some of us have been waiting a very long time...

This is just about close enough for me (especially if I can fit the proper AS movement)...

But, finances dictate otherwise today...

I'll have to wait a little longer :(

Great shots Ubi! Glad I'm spreading the FF gospel, it's a treat to wear. I really love the Tornek version, it wasn't released at the time I purchased mine or it would have been my first choice too.

You might want to try a silicon divers strap.... very comfy and it doesn't make the watch feel so top heavy as a G10. I like the vintage tropic style that Squinky sells on ebay and gen forums, they're not smelly like gen rubber straps and a bit chunkier than the original.

bbb7c565.jpg

Enjoy and wear it well.

Thanks, guys! I've been pretty excited about this one since I saw it posted in DSN's section.

Just a quick post with a few more pics before breakfast...

:)

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

Among friends:

IMG_2596.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

The domed crystal really makes this one a bugger to photograph, BTW! :lol:

Cheers and have a great day!

R

Very cool and different - so nice to see some interest in something other than the DSSD (putting on my flak jacket).

Love that bezel.

Wear it well, R.

Great photo's of a great watch, Ubi. I received an ffo1 and it has it's problems. the crown won't turn even using plyers. Took mine to my watchsmith and hope he can solve the problem. I'm so looking forward to it on my wrist.

I've waited a long time for this one.

Congrats R !!!!..

those images .. very cool macs.. B)

agree.. the markings on the dial just look to clean.. ^_^ .. I am tempted to try something on my own to get it looking like your Omega SM 300 dial.. but... :animal_rooster:

Live Strong and Wear it Well

A~C

L

Thanks, gang! This one's a fun watch... Very unassuming, yet I have found that it sparks a lot of curiosity. Had a number of people ask what it was over the weekend. The unanimous concensus was that the overall shape of the case, large, fat bezel and the G10 all make it look far more like a piece of equipment than a mere watch. I think I agree :)

With regards to aging this to a vintage look/feel- If I do go this route, it will be as a long term slow project. I like natural aging with my watches, and so I'll need to let this one get knocked around with some scars and wounds before I touch the dial. Indicies will likely be done to a very creme color rendition of tritium, and I need to figure out a way to dull down the dial a bit. If I really want this to look like it's been beaten down, I'll either send to Nanuq for a bit, or just let my wife wear it for a few days ;) In all honesty, I think this one will likely see some signs of wear before long; the acrylic bezel insert and crystal are very large surface areas and I don't think it will take a significant amount of time or effort to get this one looking worn in. My biggest concern is making the lumed markers on the bezel looking old...

As for where to buy- DSN has these listed in his section for $330 per. He has several dial variations and so I suggest browsing dial types to find the one of your preference. I just went with the Tornek dial as it was the most 'hommage' one offered, in my opinion. Plus, I always liked those old Tornek dialed vintage FF's... Just something about them...

:wub:

Cheers!

R