When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

WM9 Sub V2

b16a2

Dear members of RWG, today is a special day for me. Most would consider the Rolex Submariner as being the fundamental basis of a watch collection, be it replica or genuine. I have never owned a Rolex replica, let alone the wonder that is to be......the Submariner.

Today that all changed though. A big thank you to KDX_Time who sold this to me. He is a great member, and a pleasure to deal with.

So here are my thoughts;

When I first opened the box, I was pleasantly surprised. The Sub is a very nice looking watch. Not only that, but it is truly iconic.

P1010117.jpg

After holding it in my hands, the first thing that hit me was how flimsy the bracelet feels in comparison to my SMP. I have been told that this is quite true to the genuine, but I feel a little oiling would really benefit the bracelet.

P1010119.jpg

Another thing I noticed is the milky look to the dial due to the lack of AR when indoors. However, when you get this thing outside, it completely changes the look of the watch. In sunlight, and under lit conditions, the Submariner is a truly magnificent looking watch.

P1010120.jpg

As far as comfort goes, it sits much higher on the wrist than my SMP, this is partly due to the caseback protruding further down than the SMP's. However, it is nice and comfortable and even slightly smaller than the Omega, which really surprised me.

P1010124.jpg

The lume on the WM9 is superb, and will be a treat to behold in dark conditions, and with this type of lume it certainly matches the SMP.

P1010122.jpg

So which do I prefer?

The SMP. I thought this WM9 would convince me otherwise. I thought I would fall in love with Rolex, but I haven't. Don't get me wrong, I admire Rolex for the watches they create, they are masterpieces, but they're just not me. I will probably end up keeping this Submariner, because as far as watches go, for the money, it is a nice buy, with a nice ETA movement. You never know, over the coming months I may start to grow to it, we'll see. However, given the choice between a Sub and a 2254 SMP, for me personally I would choose the SMP......many would, many wouldn't :)

P1010118.jpg

P1010121.jpg

P1010125.jpg

P1010126.jpg

Wow, that was fast mate. I really ought to ship registered more often. =)

I'm glad you received the watch in good order....and that it helped you gain an appreciation for your SMP. I actually had a Seamaster GMT a while back that was stolen, and through all watches gen and rep, its the one that I've never gotten quite over.

Your pictures are superb. I really ought to learn how to utilize outdoor lighting more.

-k

Great watch!

Me too, at first I thought I would never buy a Rolex due to the stereotypes you always encounter - watch constructed to simple, bracelet clumsy, only for show offs and pimps etc.

After trying the first one (Noob LV) I got hooked and now two years passed and after 4 Rolex reps I am thinking about to buy a genuine... they are iconic!

Wow, that was fast mate. I really ought to ship registered more often. =)

I'm glad you received the watch in good order....and that it helped you gain an appreciation for your SMP. I actually had a Seamaster GMT a while back that was stolen, and through all watches gen and rep, its the one that I've never gotten quite over.

Your pictures are superb. I really ought to learn how to utilize outdoor lighting more.

-k

I know, delivery was incredibly quick! (3 working days!?) When the Sun is out, the natural lighting can be really nice to utilisein pictures. As you can see though, it pays to clean the watch first, I left far too much fluff and fingerprinting on it....the Sun really shows this up :)

Thanks again KDX!

I too am a HUGE SMP fan, but you cant take away from the Rolex Submariner either. It is a beautiful piece, the sunlight really brings out all the beauty of that piece. Wear it well. :D

Ok, so it's an hour later since I posted my thoughts on this, and the more I look at it, the more I like it. For the love of God I hope Ammandel doesn't read this, because he is going to have his 'I told you so moment' sooner than I thought :D

"Gotta love the SUB"

i know sounds corny but its the truth ;) both spectacular watches with massive supporter camps on both sides and a great history behind them to top things of.

I have both but if i would need to draw a line it would be the SUB for me... then again to each its own.

I got my first rep sub just out of curiosity from Stephane back in my starting days still remember unwrapping the package and putting it on the wrist thinking hey whats the fuss all about?!!

That changed to the point i got a gen in 2008...

Wear it well J. and keep us posted on ure experience down the road as u wear it in the following weeks.

Enjoy Laz

Been dying to post on this. As soon as I saw this post on here and started reading it very slowly I thought to myself: "You simply wont "get it" at first".

Speaking from experience as I remember I came to this forum not knowing anything about Rolex apart from the fact that I myself didn't like them..

I read that comment about you not being transformed by the WM9 and still laughed to myself as I thought it was only a matter of time before you liked it. Only to read further down the comments where I see your opinions changing in a matter of hours.

In my opinions (and I'm letting you into a secret), if anything it is only a matter of time before you begin to like it more than your Omegas. It's the brand and the image, you've said things about Rolex before, but Rolex are synonomous to an exhalted level with luxury goods (and watches) and unparallel in their iconography.

There is nothing that can rival it, and theres a reason its the most imitated and copied brand, everyone wants a piece of this action.

This is the unavoidable truth and the fact about Rolex; that I simply don't think there is another watch brand like it, your journey has just begun. If this doesnt lead to you searching for a Gen Rolex within the next year; I'll come down there personally and buy you 5 pints or the poison of your choice.

edit to add: I'll buy this off you at any time. Just let me know.

The WM9 sub is as good as it gets. Especially if it's BK modded. VERY close to the gen. I have both. The SMP on the other hand, is not even close to the gen. IMHO they scream fake. Besides, you can pick up a gen Omega SMP Chrono for as little as $1200.00 on some of the gen forums if you keep your eyes open. The sub, on the other hand will cost you around $3500.00, depending on the model, on the secondary market. Get where I'm coming from? Why spend around $5,000.00 for a new gen sub, when for around $500.00 you can get a piece that is virtually indistinguishable from the gen article. A gen SMP can be had for not much more than the rep, which are not even close. Stick with the sub, save your money and buy the gen Omega.

Ok here's an update;

I have had the watch for 4 days now, and I can finally say.....I get it. I understand. I know why people buy a Submariner.

Before I had owned a Rolex, I appreciated the brand but it never really 'spoke' to me. I didn't ever have the urge to buy one. Now that I have had this on my wrist for four days solidly, I understand why people love this watch so much.

I was sitting there watching the ladies finals of the French Open in my tennis gear, ready to play tennis myself after it had finshed. I missed so many points in that match because I was oogling the Submariner on my wrist. So here are my thoughts of it now;

It is so comfortable. I love how it feels on my wrist.

When I first bought it, I didn't like the way it sat. The SMP is wide and low, whereas this is smaller and sits higher. Now that I have become used to it though, it feels and looks great.

I love it having no AR. With a Bretling, no AR cheapens the watch. With this, I think AR would ruin the aesthetical quality of it. It is just so pure and uncomplicated without AR.

So where does this leave me......well I still prefer the SMP, but the Omega is in the drawer and the Rollie is on my wrist. I am also now looking to buy my second Rolex (bear in mindthis Sub is my first in three years of rep collecting, so two in one week is a big step :) ) My next will be the Noob factory black Explorer 2.

I still don't think I would pay out for the genuine, I would prefer the IWC 3714, or a Glashutte. However, having owning this replica, I can see why people would want to buy this watch from an AD!

In summary, I am glad I made the jump, it has opened my eyes. I know that this willbe a keeper, because sometimes I buy a watch love it, then it loses it's appeal. However, when I am not sold on a watch,and it grows on me like this one has, I know it is something special and it will be staying here for a long time to come! Sorry for the rabitting on, and here are a few quick and dirties from me sitting there watching the French Open finals earlier today.

Thanks for reading,

06062009537.jpg

06062009539.jpg

06062009540.jpg

06062009541.jpg

Guest asim

what a great thread. beautiful love story. i know that many don't give rolex that "chance" because of the common stereotypes, but the SS Sub is just a beauty. simple and sporty yet elegant at the same time.

keep it brother, you will grow to love it more and more!! and it looks really gen lol!

Hate to say I told you so...

..but I told you so! andddddd I stand by my words about you wanting a gen within the next year :D

I've come to terms with the fact that Rolex is like the flagship of self indulgence in material possessions.. and I don't mind at all.

ps; Its still new to you, so I'd suggest keeping it on the metal for a month or so. After that 100000% recommend that you get a black 20mm Nato from Timefactors and shove the sub on it.

I never even thought the NATO look was that great in pictures on the forums (no offense guys), I just liked the idea of changing the strap from the metal which can be uncomfortable from time to time... Simply put; as soon as you get on on your wrist its like.. Everything just falls into place..

It really brings out the watch head where as a sub would usually fall into the background, but moreso.. Its the ultimate transformation for the sub in turning it into a real; "Ive got stuff to do today" watch, turning it into a real rugged, reliable tool.

I wish mine had superlume..! I'm starting to consider the sub date gen more now than ever. Still got my eye on the GMT IIc though ;)

Just trust me ok!? One Brit to another ;)

what a great thread. beautiful love story. i know that many don't give rolex that "chance" because of the common stereotypes, but the SS Sub is just a beauty. simple and sporty yet elegant at the same time.

keep it brother, you will grow to love it more and more!! and it looks really gen lol!

All so true, and I agree, it really does feel like a love story :)

Hate to say I told you so...

..but I told you so! andddddd I stand by my words about you wanting a gen within the next year :D

I've come to terms with the fact that Rolex is like the flagship of self indulgence in material possessions.. and I don't mind at all.

ps; Its still new to you, so I'd suggest keeping it on the metal for a month or so. After that 100000% recommend that you get a black 20mm Nato from Timefactors and shove the sub on it.

I never even thought the NATO look was that great in pictures on the forums (no offense guys), I just liked the idea of changing the strap from the metal which can be uncomfortable from time to time... Simply put; as soon as you get on on your wrist its like.. Everything just falls into place..

It really brings out the watch head where as a sub would usually fall into the background, but moreso.. Its the ultimate transformation for the sub in turning it into a real; "Ive got stuff to do today" watch, turning it into a real rugged, reliable tool.

I wish mine had superlume..! I'm starting to consider the sub date gen more now than ever. Still got my eye on the GMT IIc though ;)

Just trust me ok!? One Brit to another ;)

Yep, you did tell me so, and you were so right. If your predictions are right for the future, this time next year you may see a gen on my wrist haha

I agree completely about the NATO strap too. I had my PO on NATO, and it looked great. The Sub is just built to look good on a NATO, so in the next few weeks Im going to have a Bond striped NATO, and a full black one on their way for it. I was going to try and fit my SMP bracelet to it, but the end links look too different. Might be worth a go tomorrow in between breakfast and the Turkish Grand Prix though :)

Lovely thread guys,

so looks like the SUB got in your blood stream m8. Yea i know all about it.

I just recently sold my SMP do, funny how things turn i wanted an SMP forever when i finally got it i kept going to my SUB and keeping the SMP in the box.

After 2 weeks i realized its not gonna happen for my with the SMP so i let it go...

I feel if i do not rotate it and give it decent wrist time... time to part and try something else.

anyway glad u enjoying ure SUB ;)

Cheers Laz

Cheers Laz. Its a shame that the SMP didn't grow on you, but at least now you know it's not the watch for you. To be fair, your collection is impressive enough not to miss the SMP, especially with that UN sitting there too :)

Kbh, that's a really good read! I remember having a look at that a while ago, and being really impressed at how the SMP stood up against the Sub.

JD - they're V2's

After all this time why cant they fix the lousy fit between the end links and case lugs! Damm PERFECT rep and they leave such a mess and they dont fix it. I hope my Bk WM9 SD will have a perfect end link fit...I have heard this will be fixed and certainly will expect that it will be.

Congrats man!

For me it's not a competition at all. Both have their advantages, SMP and Sub.

It's nice to have a few different type of watches from different brands. Variety is the spice of life.

Enjoy this beauty! :)