When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why Rep?

sadh40

Hi all,

I am a watch lover owning many reps and a few gens.

If I pile my reps on one side and the gens on the other...the prices of all reps together fall short by a lot when compared to even one gen.

But though I indulge in a lot of rep buying, I feel pride when I wear a gen.

I was wondering about this rep watch craze....what is the psyche behind it.

1. Money?

2. A similar looking Dial?

3. The want to own many designs?

I do feel pride when I wear my rep rolexes but it is in a gathering where the people are not well informed about spotting a rolex. Same too with IWC, Paneria, Bvlgari, Omega.

But in a power gathering I always opt for gens.

Why do we love reps?

A hundred reps can never give us the pride of one gen...deep in our hearts.

:g:

An age old question...

Many people have different reasons for being in this hobby.

Some want the image of having a particular watch without the entry fee to buying gen.

Some recognize the value of reps; having a near exact replication at a fraction of the cost making more dollar sense.

Some enjoy the thrill of searching and hunting down the most accurate replication of it's genuine counterpart (always a fun game).

Some want to 'test drive' the look, feel and fit of a particular watch before spending the money on gen (this is a good way to find out if a watch works for you prior to parting with large sums of cash).

Some enjoy building and modding watches.

Some just appreciate all aspects of horology, and collect both, regardless of history, origin or provenance.

Of course, this is not an encompassing view- There are likely many other reasons why people collect or buy reps. What this hobby means to each individual will absolutely vary depending on what they hope to achieve from it.

Hi all,

I am a watch lover owning many reps and a few gens.

If I pile my reps on one side and the gens on the other...the prices of all reps together fall short by a lot when compared to even one gen.

But though I indulge in a lot of rep buying, I feel pride when I wear a gen.

I was wondering about this rep watch craze....what is the psyche behind it.

1. Money?

2. A similar looking Dial?

3. The want to own many designs?

I do feel pride when I wear my rep rolexes but it is in a gathering where the people are not well informed about spotting a rolex. Same too with IWC, Paneria, Bvlgari, Omega.

But in a power gathering I always opt for gens.

Why do we love reps?

:g:

:huh::confused:

If you say so...

Out of necessity, I had to sell off my entire collection (bar one or two items) to pay for my wedding/reception/honeymoon... They might not have been gens, but what I achieved through them is something to be proud of...

I have a PAM 004 which was a birthday present from my wife a few years back. It needs a new movement, which really bugs me, as it means I can't wear it, but, the fact that it was a gift, means way more than the origin of the watch.

Rep or gen... At the end of the day, they're all just watches... They all tell the time, some just cost more than others ;) I like to think of reps as 'fair trade' watches B):good:

why do companies make generic drugs and why do we buy them instead of Tylenol, or Advil?

Why do companies make no-name store brand food products instead of us buying Kraft brand cheddar cheese, or General Mills cereal?

Although these examples are legit copies, and ours are not, I think it is pretty much the same idea. (at least to me). Looks good, tastes great, less filling.

To me, it makes no difference what people may think. Today, in fact, I wore my genuine Rolex Explorer II to the workplace and I had three co-workers tell me that they thought it was a low quality rep. Then, the same people are impressed if I wear an Invicta Reserve. Go figure. It only matters to you, in the end. Besides, I am the one wearing it; I care not what others think.

And I have at least as many gens as I have reps.

And you are on the wrong board, my friend.

Carl

For me it is just that I am just a bit slower than others.

I takes me awhile to figure out exactly what I like/want.

Some reps made me want to buy that particular gen...... others didn't.

Currently I am looking for a used 2254.50 gen. Only took me 5 years of wearing different divers, different straps/bracelets/clasps/buckles....to finally figure that part out.

Even if I had a bunch of dough, I am quite sure I never would have bought x25... 5,000.00 watches, only to find out eventually that a 2000.00 Omega

would end up being the fave...of the faves. (for now at least)

There is no figurin.

New to the rep world. I own 2 gen Omegas. However, I want to buy either a Rolex, Zenith, or IWC. These are all 5k+. I want to know what it sorta feels like owning each of the above and buying reps ultimately cost me close to nothing because once I decide which $5k+ watch I'll be buying, the reps seem to hold their market value in these rep forums so I can sell them back to the rep community.

Ultimately, I get to make a much more informed decision on what it's like to wear these watches and see which gen I actually want to get and it'll just cost me a marginal amount to do this evaluation.

Edited by JohnDorian

It's also a way to refine your tastes; I wore nothing but Rolex for years and now my favorites are (cough) not Rolex. Who would have seen that coming? Reps are a great way to experience the brands as you mature and refine your tastes.

Many years ago (when I was new at the watch game), I would look at a genuine $2k or $3k watch on my arm...and feel kinda stupid.

Now I look at a $300 replica...and feel a little smarter.

I would rather wear a Swiss Eta sub that can be replaced for $300 than a $6000 genuine sub needing $1000 in service sooner or later.

If you purchase a genuine watch, it definitely helps the multimillion dollar corporate pigs like Rolex and Swatch Group. If you think that purchase makes you a "genuine person"... well... good for you.

I don't see it that way. I understand the general problem with the counterfeit items but life is too short to stress about it... and these companies are superrich. And I see the reps as a "gateway drug" anyway. Most of our vet members have purchased gens because of reps.

And... we might be passionate about them but they're still just watches... lifeless pieces of metal with mechanical hearts inside. Some watches are visually attractive, some are not. For me it doesn't make a difference... I love 'em all, gen or rep... as long as it's a good rep. :D

LIFELESS PIECES OF METAL??????? :o

There, there... it's okay little watches. That mean By-Tor didn't mean it... no tears now...

*snif snif*

Now look what you went and did! My crystals are all fogging up!

Much better, much much better. Now there is singing and rejoicing in the watch box again, which is all fine and good, but the confetti and party hats are making a bit of a mess.

i have almost 40 reps and about 18 gens. i end up wearing reps alot because i like variety.

to me, reps are like shoes. they are accessories that i wear to match my mood or clothes.

most of us as By-Tor said, have gens too. we just love watches. warning: this hobby can be addicting!

reps are on the left, gens on the right.

post-12024-1244692934_thumb.jpg

post-12024-1244693030_thumb.jpg

@Noel: Quite amazing collection (rep & gen). I'm humbled!

Is that Aquaracer Quartz chrono is the gen box... or the 2000 series? Do you have a wrist shot of that? :)

So they assumed your gen was a fake? ;)

That's why I won't wear a Rolex, gen or rep. I used to be more dogmatic in that opinion because, in addition to the issue mentioned above, I had simply never seen one that didn't strike me as fugly.

In recent years however, I've seen a few that weren't so bad, so I've softened my opinion.

I still would not wear one though because, even if it were a gen, I assume people would think it was a fake. I know I would.