When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would I get on with a 'Slevin' Aquatimer?

TeeJay

I've seen folks discussing this watch before, and gather that it's a pretty popular watch. Having watched Lucky Number Slevin, I have to admit, the watch has finally caught my attention, so when I do have the finances to consider re-building my collection, I was thinking about getting one, but, I'm a little undecided, as I'm weighing pros and cons... On the bracelet, it looks like a really nice watch, but, the clasp doesn't have a diver's extension, so I'm wondering if it would be more practical to get it on the rubber strap instead (and that would then give me a 'rubber watch' for the collection, rather than just having a few on bracelets) I'm not normally a fan of chronograph watches, but, on the Aquatimer, the sub dials seem pretty discrete, and don't 'clutter the dial', so I don't think I'd mind that. Something else I'm considering, is dial visibility. The hands are obviously large and pretty legible, but, how about the dial markers? Is this a watch which one can 'read at a glance' like a PAM (or other dive watch) or are the dial markers a little on the small side (particularly at night) ? What do folks think? I know that I like the watch, but is it one that I would be able to bond with, and, do folks think I should definitely go for the rubber option, or does the bracelet make the watch easier to wear under a shirt cuff?

Thanks in advance for any advice, comments or recommendations :)

I still think the 2006 CD is the highlight of the AT series...but that's me. The Slevin is a nice size...but the CD on rubber is pretty comfy. The watch is easy to read...and with Zig's blue lume applied, the coolest thing glowing this side of some 1950's Nevada desert nuclear testing fallout.

I prefer the Slevin over the 2006 CD but that because personally, I dont like limited editions.

Its a good size. 42mm. and wears well on the bracelet. I really think that it looks better on bracelet than on rubber strap. I would not recommend diving with the rep slevin because even the gen is not rated for deep sea diving. Probably because of the chrono pushers. For a rubber, I'd go fpr the UPO.

Dial, inspite of the subdials, the slevin is very "clean" looking. Its not busy at all. Its very much like a PAM during the day, a read at a glance watch but in dark, its hopeless. Even the gen is hopeless. C1 doesn't glow very well.

I have mine after it was modded by The Zigmeister and its very much a keeper in my collection.

Some pics to help you in your decision.

P3290246.jpg

P5100222.jpg

Cheers

siesta181

the CD 2006 is the better replica -

nice lume and AR - i think its made by a different factory too -

my CD2006 was waterproof and has a perfect size -

the Slevin is just too small ...... and boring ?

cheers,

Frank

the CD 2006 is the better replica -

nice lume and AR - i think its made by a different factory too -

my CD2006 was waterproof and has a perfect size -

the Slevin is just too small ...... and boring ?

cheers,

Frank

I like both, but the Slevin has the option of a bracelet, unlike the others.

Thanks for the continued feedback :)

Looking at the photo Pugwash has posted, the watch head itself looks 'rather substantial'... How does it wear on the wrist? I'm guessing not as slim as a vintage sub, but are we talking PAM 111 level thickness? Does the bracelet vs strap option make as much difference as it does on a 45mm Planet Ocean?

The Zigmeister's lume jobs on those are insanely great works of art. Can't imagine the patience it takes to do the rotating bezel .... :wub:

You're not wrong there, they really are the icing on the cake :)

If you do go for a slevin buy the bracelet & the rubber strap, I love the bracelet but it just sits better on the wrist with the rubber IMO

Thanks for the feedback, I wondered if it might sit better on the rubber strap :) Have you found any trouble getting the watch under a cuff while on the rubber?

Thanks for the feedback, I wondered if it might sit better on the rubber strap :) Have you found any trouble getting the watch under a cuff while on the rubber?

TJ.. as you know the IWC's (IMO) give the illusion of wearing bigger than the actual mm size of the case.. due to the size of the crystal in relationship to the the size of the case.. the 42 mm size of the slevin is no indication of the apperance it will lend on your wrist.. the rubber strap downsizes the illusion (imo) a bit.. but the ss bracelet is just so good looking with it's geometric lines..and size of the links at the lugs.. their both worth time on the watch..

jus ma 02

Lani

TJ.. as you know the IWC's (IMO) give the illusion of wearing bigger than the actual mm size of the case.. due to the size of the crystal in relationship to the the size of the case.. the 42 mm size of the slevin is no indication of the apperance it will lend on your wrist.. the rubber strap downsizes the illusion (imo) a bit.. but the ss bracelet is just so good looking with it's geometric lines..and size of the links at the lugs.. their both worth time on the watch..

jus ma 02

Lani

Thanks for the input, brother, it's much appreciated :) I think I'm definitely going to add a Slevin to my 'wish list' for when I can afford one :) If the worst comes to the worst and I don't like it, I'm sure someone else would take it off my hands :lol:

Just got my Slevin on S/S yesterday from PT, love it,,,,,, so much that today I have sent it off to Vac for a lum job, date wheel change and double AR from HauteHippie so should come back fully modded biggrin.gif

Watch this space and in a few weeks a picture should appear!!!!

Just got my Slevin on S/S yesterday from PT, love it,,,,,, so much that today I have sent it off to Vac for a lum job, date wheel change and double AR from HauteHippie so should come back fully modded biggrin.gif

Watch this space and in a few weeks a picture should appear!!!!

Can't wait thumbs.gif

I have it on rubber at the moment Teejay, S/Steel bracelet is on its way from PT too! The rubber suits the watch well, it feels and looks good on the watch, but for the extra money its worth having the option to change to give a new look. :)

I have it on rubber at the moment Teejay, S/Steel bracelet is on its way from PT too! The rubber suits the watch well, it feels and looks good on the watch, but for the extra money its worth having the option to change to give a new look. :)

Is it an easy change between the two? Rolexes and Omegas are pretty easy to change from bracelets to straps, is the Aquatimer about the same, would you say?

Thanks for all the continued feedback, guys :) I can definitely see myself getting one of these in due time :)