When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review - Rolex Milgauss

b16a2

and so it seems you did not have much trouble photographing this one.. Seriously J.. WOW @ the pictures. The bracelet Polished center links look like liquid metal!

As for the flaws; apparently this one has a wrongly sized lightening bolt second hand, and wrong thickness to the "MILGAUSS" font. Also I believe this is one of the models to suffer from the bad clasp engraving, although "embossed" it does not show black as per a genuine.

This is all pickyness of course, but worth mentioning. The engraving of model number that you mentioned is infact not engraved at all but simply a sticker, just their new version of the pointless holographic ones of old! :)

Glad to see your sapphire seems to be an actual green sapphire and not some work-around chinese solution and also the lume on yours looks AWESOME!

Nice review bro, I've given up making quips about your blossoming Rolex addiction.. its obvious to us all now :p

Sheesh, you're gonna make me want to buy one of these, great review!! The few flaws you mentioned are really not noticable and the model number on the gen caseback is in fact just printed on a clear sticker that gets removed, so that is really not a flaw at all. I think that this latest version is likely the best we are going to see from this model Milgauss. Great job on a great review, and I love the opening picture, the one with the power lines, nicely done.

Cheers B)

That's an awesome review :) Something I must say though, and this seriously surprised me...

The orange markers glow blue??!! WTF?!?! That has seriously confused me, as I would have expected it to have been an orange glow. Not that that's meant as a negative point, quite the reverse in fact, but it's something I would never have expected.

Out of curiosity, how do you find the clasp in terms of security? I really like how it looks, but I'm wondering if it would be possible for the clasp to be accidentally opened if it knocked against something, where the oyster clasps have the security retainer on top of the clasp...

Other than those curiosities, all I can say is what an awesome watch :good:

That's an awesome review :) Something I must say though, and this seriously surprised me...

The orange markers glow blue??!! WTF?!?! That has seriously confused me, as I would have expected it to have been an orange glow. Not that that's meant as a negative point, quite the reverse in fact, but it's something I would never have expected.

Out of curiosity, how do you find the clasp in terms of security? I really like how it looks, but I'm wondering if it would be possible for the clasp to be accidentally opened if it knocked against something, where the oyster clasps have the security retainer on top of the clasp...

Other than those curiosities, all I can say is what an awesome watch :good:

Here is just a guess, but I wonder if it has something to do with the lume being a lighter more "peachy" looking orange that is glowing through a green tinted crystal making it look blue in the dark? It would be much like a color distortion one would realize looking through a pair of green tinted sungasses. Either way, its a cool effect.

Milguass orange markers glow blue on the gen too, I think its actually very cool. Although - the lume on the milgauss isnt noted for being very effective at all, B16a2's lume picture seems to show his rep lume brighter than any of the gen milgauss ive seen!

Here is just a guess, but I wonder if it has something to do with the lume being a lighter more "peachy" looking orange that is glowing through a green tinted crystal making it look blue in the dark? It would be much like a color distortion one would realize looking through a pair of green tinted sungasses. Either way, its a cool effect.

That's an interesting possibility :) It's a very cool effect, one I would never have expected :D

Curious whether you went for the Swiss or Asian ETA -- assuming that is not rude to ask. :) Also wondering whether people in general think it is worth the extra money for the Swiss. please note, I am not asking whether PT is being fair in charging it (he was great in delilvering my TT BCE) but rather whether Swiss is that much better than Asian to justify the cost. If Swiss lasts consderably longer than I will happily pay the bump.

Curious whether you went for the Swiss or Asian ETA -- assuming that is not rude to ask. :) Also wondering whether people in general think it is worth the extra money for the Swiss. please note, I am not asking whether PT is being fair in charging it (he was great in delilvering my TT BCE) but rather whether Swiss is that much better than Asian to justify the cost. If Swiss lasts consderably longer than I will happily pay the bump.

Personally, I don't think it is, and have always been satisfied with the time keeping of the Asian movements :)

Also I believe this is one of the models to suffer from the bad clasp engraving, although "embossed" it does not show black as per a genuine.

Need to revisit and correct what I said here, it seems that the black inked engraving on the clasp is only on the DSSD and (maybe GMT IIc?), but the Gen Milgauss just has a deep but non painted engraving on the clasp!

So this rep has it correct, and it is not a flaw as I stated before!

Gen for reference:

ML13.jpg

Hey everyone, just got back from a weekend away so sorry about the late reply!

I too was shocked when the lume came through as blue on the orange markers, it looks pretty cool. However, the lume shot makes the lume look favourable, but the lume does not glow brightly like superlume would. The picture was taken after a full charge....it can be read all night, but it doesn't glow like superlume.

This particular watch is the Asian copy, and it sweeps very nicely and saved me a few bob too :)

I wore this watch when I went away, and after 4 days of solidly wearing it I must say, this is another Rolex that has gained a strong place in my collection..... So comfortable, so simple and yet so beautiful.

I really would recommend this to anyone who doesn't have one, it strikes the perfect balance between being sporty and being classy in my opinion. Along with the SMP, this is one great watch to buy if you want versatility!!!

PS - Ive also updated the links in my signature so hopefully they should link to the correct palces now.