When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Home Made How To (2), Tudor Ranger Now Explorer Dial Added

Slartibartfast

OK, so after some more printing, luming and building, the Explorer is now ready for some

wrist time. Thought I would share a few pics of this little beauty.

Again, the dial designed on AutoCAD and printed onto laser decal paper, all the same processes as the Ranger.

IMG_5566.jpg

IMG_5569.jpg

IMG_5575.jpg

IMG_5578.jpg

IMG_5583.jpg

In my prototype dials I had re-created a version with an outer ring at the edges of the minute markers.

I couldn't get this to work properly, as when the dial was cased, the slightly off-centre home made

dial blank was visible due to the outer ring. Ah well, never mind. When I can find a way of making better

more precise dial blanks, I will have another go at that version. I have used a gold hand set, and think

that this combo adds something different, and looks really cool (IMO).

Here's a pic of a gen for comparison.

explorerprecision.jpg

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Amazing work!

Hey... you might want to attempt to do a 1680 red Submariner dial. The MBW dials aren't even close and it's the same thing with all aftermarket dials too. It's all about the SUBMARINER font and color. :)

• 1 month later...

This is totally awesome. Perhaps now we can finally get a decent/great 1680 Red Sub dial made? If so, can the red be screened to be raised and bright red like the original?

http://rolex.watchprosite.com/show-nblog.post/ti-481641/

In a word: No.

All dial markings, such as text, numerals, markers, are all transparent areas, on the black decal. It would be possible to use red paint or ink on the base of the dial, so it would show through as red text, but it would not be raised. As example, this is what I did with one of Slartibartfast's Explorer dial decals to create a 6200 dial, using a black Sharpie on the base of the dial so the text Explorer and Precision would not be visible...

DSCN2653.jpg

DSCN2729.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...