When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Start of week wristi

ubiquitous

Can't get used to this new forum at all!

Early days though -.-

It's funny, I was almost ready to sell this but now have just fallen back in love with it and realise it rounds my collection rather well! If only I could get a nice strap for it instead of this not so great moo-croc thingy!

3341119507_4539c366e2.jpg

3342454836_71a0afb3f8.jpg

Today's obviously a day for new beginnings and rejuvination, so I guess it's only appropriate that I finished my project sub, and am happily wearing it :)

It started off as a vintage Sub from Silix, and has undergone 'a few changes'...

Case and bracelet have been 'hand aged'. (Hopefully looking between 30-50 years old overall)

Crystal has been re-epoxied into place for renewed water resistance.

New (3rd) bezel insert (sanded edges and bleached for 60 seconds).

New movement (old movement was okay, but a bit 'twitchy' on hand-winding, and the new movement had a clearer date-font, so it made sense to swap)

New dial (baked for 60 seconds, and text colored)

New Millitary-issue case-back (slightly scuffed to blend with the rest of the watch's appearance)

Bracelet built from assorted parts to fit the case (original bracelet only fitted with very bent springbars)

Original 'factory vintage' hands.

So here it is, probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm very happy with the results. Future work to include a new coin-edge bezel :)

DSCN1613.jpg

DSCN1611.jpg

VintageSub.jpg

Questions and comments are always welcomed :)

So Ubi.. when is that Daytona for sale :)

Well, it technically belongs to my 5 year old son, so whenever he's ready to sell, I suppose. He'll probably receive it in about 20 years or so; I'd ask around then :)

Speaking of my son... He's kicking off the week with this vintage piece...

IMG_5731.jpg

IMG_5747.jpg

IMG_5741.jpg

IMG_5751.jpg

I've just modded this one by taking a K2222 AR sapphire off a white-dial Breitling that didn't really need it:

skyland-15-640.jpg

click to embiggen

Just to prove there is a crystal, here's a reflection:

20090727.jpg

... and here's a pre-mod photo:

skyland-13-640.jpg

Guest HaloArchive

Well, it technically belongs to my 5 year old son, so whenever he's ready to sell, I suppose. He'll probably receive it in about 20 years or so; I'd ask around then :)

Speaking of my son... He's kicking off the week with this vintage piece...

Hmm,

I should contract you to build me one of those Daytonas then :) Ive been staring at it since you were putting it together.

BTW, I used to have the same red/blue one of those watches ;)

Good 'ol Days!

H