When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A watch for extreme sports and backpacking through 3rd world countries?

metaljesus

G-shock. No question.

I would suggest Suunto, but I've had two (Vector and T3) and they have abysmal battery life. Get a solar G 5600. Indestructable.

Unless you're going polar, I wouldn't even consider a mechanical watch, but surely you're far more likely to drop/bash/whatever it than get it frighteningly cold.

If you want a rep i would actually recommend a BR02-92 on rubber or on the nylon. I think it's a fantastic watch. Everyone's recommendations are great when it comes to the usefulness of the watch for your journey however i think the BR02-92 on rubber or nylon is really cool. I love mine and have worn it every day for the last few weeks.

I have had a G shock for over five years and I have beat the shi :) out of this thing and it's has never failed me, not once. If you must have a auto the Invicta Pro diver Is hard to beat. They came In 40mm - 47mm I think. I know a lot of people look down on Invictas but they are a good watch for the price. Pro divers go from just under $100.00 to 300, depending on the movement, Swiss/Jap. There are many reviews, just google search Invicta pro diver, I would go with the Casio, good luck :) Mike

I would recommend a Timex Ironman. I used to do a lot of climbing...and the timing functions and alarm are essential for travel, alpine starts, timing speed ascents, etc. A metal watch will get scratched to bits, so the rubber and plastic combo works well to resist damage...and it's light.

I would not want a big B&R on my wrist climbing, given how many times I've had to use my forearm for holds chimneying, or face climbing for support. I usually just velcro the watch to my harness.

I would recommend a Timex Ironman. I used to do a lot of climbing...and the timing functions and alarm are essential for travel, alpine starts, timing speed ascents, etc. A metal watch will get scratched to bits, so the rubber and plastic combo works well to resist damage...and it's light.

I would not want a big B&R on my wrist climbing, given how many times I've had to use my forearm for holds chimneying, or face climbing for support. I usually just velcro the watch to my harness.

Good point Toad, the Iron man Is a fine watch for such activities,tough watch. Takes a licking and keeps on... well you know :D

You know what, I'm really loving the look of those Cores:

Cores.jpg

http://bp3.blogger.com/_GQ9jVpYbVtI/SJHWNklOClI/AAAAAAAAAKU/R6yPTmx9tAo/s1600-h/Cores.jpg

That brown/white/black combo is very nice and the orange/black could be sweeeeet on a nato. Perhaps a little flashy for the 3rd world but it works as a sporting watch for me. Would be happy to wear that around hardcore downhill riders :)

I'm still thinking about picking up a bell and ross for music festivals and camping and such. Ie where Ill get hell dirty but im not doing anything high impact :)

Edited by metaljesus

no one has mentioned luminox or marathon????

as someone said earlier, look at what people deployed in active combat zones are wearing.

Other than REMF, you won't find many Luminox or Marathon watches attached to boots on the ground. The inability to controll when it lights up and when it does not is something that could comprimise your position and in effect your life. The reason G Shocks are proven to be tough as tanks is because of their extensive use. While many other watches could probably be just as tough they have not been used enough to find out 100% like the G Shocks have been.

For refrence:

dfdfdfdfdfdf.gif

rbfrbfrbfrbf.gif

bfdsbfds.gif

asasasasf.gif

Tissot T-Touch Titanium/Sapphire is $299 today on chronoshark.com

Nice watch, would look even better with a nice DLC coating :whistling:

I would however advise against anything that has a bracelet. Bracelets have 2 distinct problems: 1. Pins and screws that can break or become loose and fall out, 2. You can not open a bracelet completely to attach it to your gear if need be. I can't count the number of times I slid the strap of my G Shock through a piece of molle webbing to get it off the wrist for some reason or another while still leaving it easily accessable if need be.

I'm with jdkno, you definatly want to have a webbing strap, per stated reasons. Also ALL watches with a look similar to the B&R isn't a very good idea, you'll break the crystal in about 2 sec, VERY thin, no protruding bezel to protect it and totally flat (curved objects are always stronger).

G-shocks sure are ugly, but life is beautiful so why waste your own for vanity? :winkiss: If you go with anything else, do tune it down, like a Seiko 007 with DLC on a velcro or something. BTW, the Luminox isn't very good, unprotected crystal as per a B&R.