When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Basic manners; too much to ask for?

ubiquitous

Indeed, it's a sad state of affairs. I think some people just don't know any better, some are just outright rude... I always prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt that they might not know better, but sadly I think many folks these days just don't care about common courtesy, and the worse thing, is that they're raising kids to be equally ignorant of good manners :( Oh well, such is life...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Too common this experience. I say name and shame Ubi. If I was in your shoes and hadn't yet sent it, I'd be inclined not to and make him whistle for it.

Can't stand bad manners, definitely the eighth deadly sin. Sadly it's all too common in daily life now, so not surprising that is reflected here.

Oh it's not just on the web. Hold a door open for somone and you would think you had just handed them a million dollars. What used to be common curtesey is now apperantly execptional behavior.

Col.

Or when standing to the side to let a cyclist pass (which is bad enough that they're on the footpath, but that's another rant :D ) is obviously not worth of the courtesy of a quick 'thanks'.

Some punk tried to play 'chicken' with me a few weeks back, despite the path being wide enough for four people to walk shoulder to shoulder, then didn't like it when, at the last moment, I grabbed his handlebars and steered him in a different direction... :rolleyes: What a fucknut... Oh well, I expect his parents were related before they were married, so probably not his fault... <_<

+1 Ubi, and not only here........Having my own studio, I frequently get mails with.........What is the price of....that item?

No sender, nothing

Is it just this timearea we live in or what?

I think it might be... The internet gives people the ability for near instant gratification, and sadly, sometimes people's manners take a backseat :(

I totally agree Ubi. It is not just this forum. I notice this daily while out and about.

Not sure how "up" everyone is on the current Generational Slang terms. Remember "Gen X", "Gen Y". Evidently the latest is "Generation ME", "Gen ME". This demographic is basically the current 20 to early 30 somethings.

Some say Social Media is furthering the cause. When you really think about the MyFaceSpaceTwitBook and even personal blogs-- what are they really accomplishing? Look at me, look at my, hurray for me. Unfortunately, something like this forum, which is built on image building material goods-- only further brings out some of this attitude.

The old "I got mine!", to hell with everything else attitude. :( Many of these people feel entitled as well.

I totally agree Ubi. It is not just this forum. I notice this daily while out and about.

Not sure how "up" everyone is on the current Generational Slang terms. Remember "Gen X", "Gen Y". Evidently the latest is "Generation ME", "Gen ME". This demographic is basically the current 20 to early 30 somethings.

Some say Social Media is furthering the cause. When you really think about the MyFaceSpaceTwitBook and even personal blogs-- what are they really accomplishing? Look at me, look at my, hurray for me. Unfortunately, something like this forum, which is built on image building material goods-- only further brings out some of this attitude.

The old "I got mine!", to hell with everything else attitude. :( Many of these people feel entitled as well.

That's where I met my wife :lol:

Or when standing to the side to let a cyclist pass (which is bad enough that they're on the footpath, but that's another rant :D ) is obviously not worth of the courtesy of a quick 'thanks'.

Some punk tried to play 'chicken' with me a few weeks back, despite the path being wide enough for four people to walk shoulder to shoulder, then didn't like it when, at the last moment, I grabbed his handlebars and steered him in a different direction... :rolleyes: What a [censored]nut... Oh well, I expect his parents were related before they were married, so probably not his fault... <_<

Ha ha, I wish I were there to see that :lol::lol: , good for you TeeJay....

Ha ha, I wish I were there to see that :lol::lol: , good for you TeeJay....

He was on a BMX, (and not going fast) so it was easy to grab the middle of the handlebars and give a twist of the wrist to direct him away from me. You'd think that I'd violated some kind of Human Right the way he started kicking off and yelling :D (he only started heading into a wooden fence, so no danger to life or limb), never mind the fact that if I hadn't 'redirected him' or moved out of the way, he'd've either definitely have hit me, or cut it so close, that it was obvious that his intention was to try and shit me up, rather than someone accidentally getting too close... Oh well... No harm done to either party, and hopefully a lesson in manners learned :)

I agree with Ubi.

Some people don't say thanks or best regards any more.

I onnce shipped out a watch , the buyer didn't want to pay for T&T and insurance , guess what it never arrived.

I tried to help him with suggestion and then you get replies without Hi Cats or thanks or what ever , only complaining that the watch is lost and that my suggestion were plain stupid because he didn't have a T&T.

Thought of splitting the damage in the first place but after these remarks i decided not to do so.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Many of these people feel entitled as well.

P- You hit the nail right on the head. I think it's the feeling of entitlement that bothers me so much. As if these people are owed something.

Thought of splitting the damage in the first place but after these remarks i decided not to do so.

You know, it's amazing how much power those magic words can have. Please, or thanks... Some form of gratitude or appreciation... It goes a long way and can mean the difference in getting help, or getting the door shut on one's face.

:)

its kids today - there is a sense of entitlement, but also, the internet age has blown away formality.

consider this - on facebook, i have family, cousins, college friends, and even some middle school friends. But i also have people i work with.

the intermingling of the personal and work relationship i think leads to the informality of folks.

I am pro, less formality. i hate wearing a piece of silk around my neck and never understood why i was then more appropriate to attend events with other men running around with silk around their necks.

having said that, appreciation, manors, common decency - should not be eroded.

In before Gran

The Zigmeister played guitar, jamming good with Weird and Gilly

The spiders from Mars. He played it left hand

But made it too far

Became the special man, then we were The Zigmeister's band

The Zigmeister really sang, screwed up eyes and screwed down hairdo

Like some cat from Japan, he could lick 'em by smiling

He could leave 'em to hang

Came on so loaded man, well hung and snow white tan.

So where were the spiders while the fly tried to break our balls

Just the beer light to guide us,

So we bitched about his fans and should we crush his sweet hands?

The Zigmeister played for time, jiving us that we were voodoo

The kids were just crass, he was the nazz

With God given ass

He took it all too far but boy could he play guitar

Making love with his ego The Zigmeister sucked up into his mind

Like a leper messiah

When the kids had killed the man I had to break up the band.

My avatar is red hot. Your avatar 'aint diddley squat.

@Ubiquitous

Don't let it get you down Ubi. From my own experience with a watch giveaway (after the watch was sent out, silence for weeks, then, kind of concerned over customs, a PM from me; "Hey, did you get the watch?" The return; a simple "Yes". I think the other party was kind of let down over those old TWB crown guards :lol:), certainly not to your level of continued benevolence here with regard, but I think the act in and of itself is supposed to be the reward? I certainly know what you are saying but perhaps just thank yourself for being the person every benevolent God in all his forms wants you to aspire to be; a good citizen to the world. That's a hard gig and it is never 'done'. Who knows (no one) perhaps when it is all said and done and you're surrounded by the purple humm you will be thanked eternally by he, on behalf of all those who were remiss in appreciation of your altruism. Eternity with an ocean view? So, you have that going for you, which is nice.

Hopefully 'Omni' will come across this thread and comment. Perhaps PM him outright for some more insight to your situation. As far as I am concerned, his is the highest form of generosity. In both the obvious and the arcane. He saved my life once, and he doesn't even know it.

Keep up the good work. Karma is everything.

Funny enough, my wife just said the same thing in a different context. We have a litter of puppies at the moment, now 6 weeks old, and one of the new owners emailed her this morning to say she was coming round this afternoon to see the puppy. Note, not is it OK if I come round. It was just fortunate that my wife had to order something on the internet or she probably wouldn't have checked her emails till this evening. She emailed back and said she had an appointment this afternoon, would Thursday be OK. Received an answer saying"We'll be round at 3:30pm on Thursday", again not is it convenient, just we will. She is now muttering about the lack of manners of people nowadays, and if the woman wanted to come this afternoon why didn't she phone rather than send an email she had no way of knowing would be read, blah, blah. I think I will need to have a word with this bloody woman when she comes round about her manners, after all I'm the one that gets it in the neck!!

Hopefully 'Omni' will come across this thread and comment. Perhaps PM him outright for some more insight to your situation. As far as I am concerned, his is the highest form of generosity. In both the obvious and the arcane. He saved my life once, and he doesn't even know it.

Omni is generous to a fault. More than most will ever know. He has the eternal gratitude of the old guard and I'm shure they have let him know it.

Col.

Omni is generous to a fault. More than most will ever know. He has the eternal gratitude of the old guard and I'm shure they have let him know it.

Col.

I know of Omni's generosity first hand twice over; he is one of the most generous souls I know.

I am privilaged to have been blessed with his kindness and more importantly, his friendship. And for that, I am forever grateful...

@Dems- Thanks for putting things back into perspective for me :) Much appreciated, my friend...

I know of Omni's generosity first hand twice over; he is one of the most generous souls I know.

I am privilaged to have been blessed with his kindness and more importantly, his friendship. And for that, I am forever grateful...

@Dems- Thanks for putting things back into perspective for me :) Much appreciated, my friend...

I feel for you, my friend...

But there are still the appreciative ones out there...and i sincerely hope that you will not be disheartened... :)

Funny enough, my wife just said the same thing in a different context. We have a litter of puppies at the moment, now 6 weeks old, and one of the new owners emailed her this morning to say she was coming round this afternoon to see the puppy. Note, not is it OK if I come round. It was just fortunate that my wife had to order something on the internet or she probably wouldn't have checked her emails till this evening. She emailed back and said she had an appointment this afternoon, would Thursday be OK. Received an answer saying"We'll be round at 3:30pm on Thursday", again not is it convenient, just we will. She is now muttering about the lack of manners of people nowadays, and if the woman wanted to come this afternoon why didn't she phone rather than send an email she had no way of knowing would be read, blah, blah. I think I will need to have a word with this bloody woman when she comes round about her manners, after all I'm the one that gets it in the neck!!

1161.jpg

;)

:g:

I dunno TeeJay... She looks like she's laughing at him for throwing such a Streisand-like punch.

Kinda like she's saying:

*cackle* *cackle* That all you got, BITCH?! HAHAHAHA....

:D

Not that I'd ever condone domestic violence, but sometimes that poster just makes an awesome response to something :D