When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1675 -- What SHOULD it be like

TJGladeRaider

I bought a couple of the MBW 1675's - I was very disappointed.

I was expecting them to have crystal/bezel assemblies like the other vintage watches. They were nothing like that, and so that is my first question. Should they be?

I know that what I got could not have been correct because you couldn't wear them out in the rain.

Next question. I see that yuki has a 1675 case. Does anyone know if they are made like the 1680/1665 with the three piece bezel assembly. If so, maybe I could get a couple of them and use the dials and guts from the MBWs?? I am assuming that the Yuki cases will accept ETA movements?

I wrote to Yuki watch, but I thought someone on here might have some first hand info/experience.

Bill

The label "MBW" doesn't guarantee accuracy... never has. MBW/MBK has several good "base watches" like white 1680 and the vintage white Dweller, but they require tons of work. They don't have even ONE good OTB rep... none, zilch, zip.

1675 uses the 1680 case & crystal and is simply crap. I wouldn't pay $100 for that watch.

There simply isn't a good 1675 rep available. Why? I dunno as it'd be very easy to do technically and even functionally (it has fixed 24h hand). I guess it's one of those mysteries in life.

The label "MBW" doesn't guarantee accuracy... never has. MBW/MBK has several good "base watches" like white 1680 and the vintage white Dweller, but they require tons of work. They don't have even ONE good OTB rep... none, zilch, zip.

1675 uses the 1680 case & crystal and is simply crap. I wouldn't pay $100 for that watch.

There simply isn't a good 1675 rep available. Why? I dunno as it'd be very easy to do technically and even functionally (it has fixed 24h hand). I guess it's one of those mysteries in life.

If the ones I bought used the 1680 case/crystal, I'd have been happy with it - or, should I say, happier than I was with the crap I got.

I am quite sure that the 1675's I got did not have 1680 cases. Lord knows, I have enough MBW 1680/1665 to know. In the 1675's I got, the bezel snapped on like the cheap chinese vintage versions,and there was NOTHING holding the crystals in. Instead of pressing down over a flange, and then being sandwiched by a press fit retaining ring, the crystals pressed down into a flange, and then the chinese style bezels snapped on.

They did have the small crowns/tubes though.

I realized it was all screwed up when it fogged up in the rain.

Does this Yuki case look right? http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/6924997/6964737.htm

What I do not know is, having never seen a 1675, SHOULD it have the bezel assembly similar to 1680/1665 that I was expecting? If so, and this Yuki case is configured that way, maybe Ziggy can make me a couple of nice 1675's using them with the dials and movements that I've got. On the other hand, if these are the same crap I got from MBW, I sure don't want them.

Your thoughts?

Bill

This used to be the MBK GMT Master. It definitely used the 1680 case and crystal.

As for 1675... this is one of the watches that I would go for the gen. Well, I actually did with 16710.

1675 prices have come down lately, just like all luxury items (due to recession).

OEM 1675 bezel assembly and crystal retaining system is the same style as 5513, 1680, 1665 etc... No matter what you do, the 1675 case is much thinner than 1680/5513... It is noticeably thinner--this is what makes the GMT-I unique, the way it sits/wears on your wrist. I own both OEM 5513 and 1675, both are totally different in appearance due to case thickness.

Cheers

This used to be the MBK GMT Master. It definitely used the 1680 case and crystal.

As for 1675... this is one of the watches that I would go for the gen. Well, I actually did with 16710.

1675 prices have come down lately, just like all luxury items (due to recession).

Not arguing with you BT, but if that watch has the 1680 style bezel system, there were two versions. That watch looks EXACTLY like both the vintage GMTs I got from MBW. Both leaked so bad that you couldn't wash your hands or wear them in the rain. I pulled them apart in an effort to fix the problem and discovered that there is no bezel/friction ring/retaining ring in either of mine. My bezel simply pops off with NOTHING removable under it. The crystal presses into the case, rather this fitting down over the case. It almost looks like this is the intermediate step between plastic and sapphire crystals.

I know my pictures suck, but you gotta admit, this is no 1680 MBW case.

post-223-124967777274_thumb.jpgpost-223-124967782422_thumb.jpg

Bill

OEM 1675 bezel assembly and crystal retaining system is the same style as 5513, 1680, 1665 etc... No matter what you do, the 1675 case is much thinner than 1680/5513... It is noticeably thinner--this is what makes the GMT-I unique, the way it sits/wears on your wrist. I own both OEM 5513 and 1675, both are totally different in appearance due to case thickness.

Cheers

Thanks for the note.

Maybe the Yuki cases will be made properly. I'll try and use the guts from this junk to make some decent watches. I also have some of those thin versions of the GMTs that Josh and Andrew used to carry. Several of them that aren't even unwrapped yet from a couple of years ago. If I can get decent cases, Ziggy can probably make something work.

Bill

Check out the post for the guy selling his 1675. Was it TMG? I forget... I posted in it this morning about how nice and thin his case is, then I posted my GMT Profiles picture. His piece is very, very close to the thinness of the gen. You could use that as a starting point, file some better grooves in the bezel, and Robert's yer Uncle.

gmt_oyster2.jpg

Check out the post for the guy selling his 1675. Was it TMG? I forget... I posted in it this morning about how nice and thin his case is, then I posted my GMT Profiles picture. His piece is very, very close to the thinness of the gen. You could use that as a starting point, file some better grooves in the bezel, and Robert's yer Uncle.

Yup, it's me Nanuq!

TJ, I was going to pimp my auction to you but I don't think this is what you're looking for. My 1675 suffers from the same glued down crystal issue (not water resistant) as well and has the old wire spring that holds the bezel in place -not the correct compression ring bezel assembly.

As for the Yukiwatch case, I think the CG's look funny, more sub shaped than the square and fat like they should be. It may be worth a try but I'm willing to bet the MBW dial won't fit the case the stem alignment of an ETA movement may be an issue as well??? I tried putting an ETA into a J&W Vietnamese 5517 case and it didn't work due to the stem alignment. I think the ND Trading 1675 case with the pointed CG's is better but costs a bit more.

BTW, if you need a gen 1675 dial I have one in the parts box I'll let go cheap, it's pretty nice with some chocolate spotting on it. I've abandoned building a franken 1675.

Regards,

-TMG

The 1675 is an odd bird when it comes to reps. You'd think it wouldn't be hard to replicate, but there must be some reason for the lack of good quality examples out there.

As Euno mentioned, the 1675 is in fact very thin, with a very shallow rehaut. It wears so thin, I'd almost swear it was a dress watch...

IMG_4737.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

IMG_4775.jpg

IMG_4824.jpg

IMG_4829.jpg

Also interesting to note is the 5.3mm crown...

IMG_4772.jpg

Makes for setting the date a lot of fun with the slow set 1570...

The more I look at this, the more I am inclined to say, "screw it." I have several brand new, very nice looking, thin case vintage GMT reps - but they are the ones with the wire spring in the bezel. They look fine, the rivet bracelets are exceptionally nice for Chinese reps, but they are not the sort of thing I like, and no amount of mods will ever make them what they are not.

Thanks for all the input.

Bill

"I pulled them apart in an effort to fix the problem and discovered that there is no bezel/friction ring/retaining ring in either of mine. My bezel simply pops off with NOTHING removable under it. The crystal presses into the case, rather this fitting down over the case. It almost looks like this is the intermediate step between plastic and sapphire crystals."

I got a couple watches like that with no inner bezels from "Paul" when he was Abay, a no date "comex" and a red 1680. Both had crystals fitted over the case neck and the rotating bezel spring rides in a shallow groove cut in the crystal. All you had to do to remove the bezel and crystal was pull up on it.

Both of mine fell apart because the crystals were cracked to begin with.

The cases are well made and will accept genuine spec 127 crystals. The bezels have a thick skirt on the bottom side and there is plenty of metal to cut them to fit over a proper inner bezel.

The catch is making inner bezels. I would need some fairly close blanks (within 2mm or 3mm) because in a small lathe like mine (Sherline) it takes too long to cut stainless flatwashers down.

I found some aftmkt inner bezels for sale but they were about $100 and I can make one for 20 cents...but it takes all day without a blank.

The more I look at this, the more I am inclined to say, "screw it." I have several brand new, very nice looking, thin case vintage GMT reps - but they are the ones with the wire spring in the bezel. They look fine, the rivet bracelets are exceptionally nice for Chinese reps, but they are not the sort of thing I like, and no amount of mods will ever make them what they are not.

Thanks for all the input.

Bill

I hear ya Bill.

With the prices right now on gens coming down and if you were to drop a gen 1575 mvmt inside at easily $1500-$2000 -when you can find one, plus $800 for the case it doesn't make sense when you can find gens for $3500 or less.

As has already been said, this is the one rep (ok maybe alongside its 1655 sibling) that sums up the saying (coined by Ubi I think?)...

"Buy gen as no rep will make you happy"

Of course, that decision alone is just the easy bit. If you're as anal-retentive and particular about detail as I am, finding your "perfect" gen is by no means an easy task either. :bangin: