When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Noob Issue

Guest Carl

...one of the best pieces on this forum is Toad's Guide to Picking Up Women With Your Navitimer Sliderule...and "blam",

...As i found out, quickly, guys like Toad, By-Tor, Lani, Dlduddy, HikeUSA, Ubi, Freddy, Andreww (and countless others) were patient, informative and downright cool to learn/discuss with...

>sniff<...you bring a tear to my eye. Glad to have you aboard. Glad to have you stick around...and RIGHT BACK AT YOU for all this as you've become as good an active member as any...and a great source to buy watches from. :)

To those lonely Noobs out there, the Guide to Picking Up Women is linked in my signature.

+1 to that! :D

(although I still don't understand the seal/bucket avatar :p lol)

To the respondents to my post, I would love to do a guide on best reps under $xxx but I fear my knowledge is still too limited and I wouldn't want to mislead! I'm not too worried about looking silly (I usually manage it at least once a day :bangin: lol) but I don't want to get things too wrong!

I will see what I can do though - if I can cobble something together to start from then hopefully we can all produce something good :tu:

If you feel like collaborating on that guide, I'll certainly have some material to contribute, as not only will I be referencing my wife's DJ (or it's replacement :lol: ) but I've also got plans to get a very cheap LV Sub as soon as I'm able, which is way below the $108 figure which seems to be the lower threshold of 'recommended dealers' :)

+1 to that! :D

(although I still don't understand the seal/bucket avatar :p lol)

To the respondents to my post, I would love to do a guide on best reps under $xxx but I fear my knowledge is still too limited and I wouldn't want to mislead! I'm not too worried about looking silly (I usually manage it at least once a day :bangin: lol) but I don't want to get things too wrong!

I will see what I can do though - if I can cobble something together to start from then hopefully we can all produce something good :tu:

We all started somwhere and we all learnt lots

Grass roots is maybe what we need

I look forward to your post and i hope that I can contribute also

I am about as NOOB as anyone can be, I just found this forum a month ago. Previously been getting ripped off buying Reps. I found this forum read a lot and started dealing with Joshua, bought 3 Reps last month love them all.

Why don't I post - A little apprehension,I have learned a lot reading posts but have detected an attitude of Elitism by many members. I guess I fear getting flashed or just being told "do your research". I have been on a lot of diffent kinds of forums and the attitude is usually "There is no stupid question" While on this site the feeling a NOOBs get's is " All you questions are stupid "

I was very thankful that this site enabled me to learn a lot about Reps and also find honest dealers, so in my appreciation I made a small donation.

If you want NOOBs to become more active and become paying members, encourage them to learn don't make them feel inadequate in their knowledge.

My suggestion is a NOOB section, where we can ask stupid questions and maybe some of the more knowledgeable members with a little more tolerance would provide answers.

Just some feelings, let the flaming begin.

Hey and welcome! Great you made a contribution, both financially and by speaking your mind! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

No flaming from my side. I think that Noob section is an idea to really think about. Separate room with an additional rule: No sneering at Submariner-searching first-timers with scammer-site-bruises. It's true I was subdued at first as well, as I saw a lot of people being told not to ask that Submariner-question.

What do you guys think about this?

Val.

I didn't do nuffin!!!!

I, like many others, found this place through the 'email, buy this exact replica for only$xxx' route. I thankfully googled and found this place before my bank account emptied into some scumbags pocket!!

I was a 'Noob', even if one with a slight disadvantage, a noob none the less. This place is pretty daunting when you find out that all that cool stuff you knew about watches and could impress girls with, was nothing in comparison to one iota of the knowledge found in here!! Just take Toadtorrents guide to stealing said girl you are impressing, with one swirl of his sliderule!! I knew then, that all I knew about this great passion of mine, was squat! But, with some reading, (or listening in my case) and some help from some truely amazing people, I have learned more in the time I have been here than most would in a lifetime, outside of a forum such as this, that is.

But it's not all watches, as Hackr and others have alluded too, there are a whole plethora of skill sets on this board, from photography to pen making, from working out to walrus cruelty (man I swear that Walrus is more famous than any amount of film, TV and music stars!!). I won a Rolex in a raffle early this year, it was to try and get the 'noobs' more involved, to get them to take control of their forum, for we all contribute in some way or another, there for it is everyones board not just guys with 4 figure post counts!! In my wee thank you post I stated that this community (which is what we are!) is way more than just watches and that raffle was for way more than a Rolex. It is about reaching out to people oceans apart, to get some help from the most unexpected places, friendship when you least expect it but need it the most, help with anything from changing a strap to fixing a computer (yes that means you By-Tor!!) to fixing a car, a motorcycle, even finding who is the best person to tattoo you in NY!! (haven't forgotten you B!! ;) ) Try getting that kind of help on facebook or myspace without having to sleep with the other person first!!

I know I'm not the most popular member on here and that sometimes my views and opinions are slightly "wild, yet direct" (aledgedly), but if I talk to you, you can be sure I won't say anything to anyone that I wouldn't say to your face, or interface in this particular case, but it is true in real life also. Given that, I'm one of the first people to chip in and help anyone who asks for it, even in some cases when they haven't!! heh heh!! I'll go out of my way to do anything I can to help my fellow members and frequently my own member, but thats slightly off topic!!

We have members that have forgotten more than some of us will ever be able to learn, this is the same the world over with some people, it doesn't make them any better than the rest of us, just better at certain things than us! It takes all sorts to make something work, aswell as all sorts of subject matter, it doesn't always have to be about "who does the best sub", we had one of the weddings of the year, with our very own TeeJay marrying his very own CJ, we all got to share in it and it made us a part of it, even if some were many thousands of miles away! We had one of our most beloved members almost die just a month or so ago, we all held our breath, then we all celebrated in his recovery. Then we have that f**king walrus and his 5 secondly bucket saga!! But still, we all wait to make sure he gets it back, just incase, one day, *gasp* he doesn't!!

Bottom line is, yeah there will be guys who will come onto the board, buy a rep and never be seen again. You get that in any type of forum, in, find what they want, leave. Great, we all helped that person in some sort of way, but there will be the guy like me, who blunders across this place and thinks "Hey, I kinda like it in here, there is something for everyone!". If it's bang for buck you want, there is Chargod's 'Top ten best for under $150' there are some pieces in there that I have proudly in my collection, not just because they are cheap, but because they are awesome value, like the POrikka, amazing watch for the money! Then we have the pieces we drool over in the sales thread that cost upwards of $800 that someone has spent months, sometimes years, making! Yeah we may not be able to afford them, but we can admire, even aspire to, one day, being the person who is putting one of those watches up for sale!

I have made some of the best friends anyone could ask for on here and I truely care for the place, a lot! It may seem a pretty steep climb when you first come in, but take the time to look around, talk to a few people, then make your choice of whether you just want that one rep or whether you want to be one of the people named above and call this place home!!

Sixx :bones:

I didn't do nuffin!!!!

I, like many others, found this place through the 'email, buy this exact replica for only$xxx' route. I thankfully googled and found this place before my bank account emptied into some scumbags pocket!!

I was a 'Noob', even if one with a slight disadvantage, a noob none the less. This place is pretty daunting when you find out that all that cool stuff you knew about watches and could impress girls with, was nothing in comparison to one iota of the knowledge found in here!! Just take Toadtorrents guide to stealing said girl you are impressing, with one swirl of his sliderule!! I knew then, that all I knew about this great passion of mine, was squat! But, with some reading, (or listening in my case) and some help from some truely amazing people, I have learned more in the time I have been here than most would in a lifetime, outside of a forum such as this, that is.

But it's not all watches, as Hackr and others have alluded too, there are a whole plethora of skill sets on this board, from photography to pen making, from working out to walrus cruelty (man I swear that Walrus is more famous than any amount of film, TV and music stars!!). I won a Rolex in a raffle early this year, it was to try and get the 'noobs' more involved, to get them to take control of their forum, for we all contribute in some way or another, there for it is everyones board not just guys with 4 figure post counts!! In my wee thank you post I stated that this community (which is what we are!) is way more than just watches and that raffle was for way more than a Rolex. It is about reaching out to people oceans apart, to get some help from the most unexpected places, friendship when you least expect it but need it the most, help with anything from changing a strap to fixing a computer (yes that means you By-Tor!!) to fixing a car, a motorcycle, even finding who is the best person to tattoo you in NY!! (haven't forgotten you B!! ;) ) Try getting that kind of help on facebook or myspace without having to sleep with the other person first!!

I know I'm not the most popular member on here and that sometimes my views and opinions are slightly "wild, yet direct" (aledgedly), but if I talk to you, you can be sure I won't say anything to anyone that I wouldn't say to your face, or interface in this particular case, but it is true in real life also. Given that, I'm one of the first people to chip in and help anyone who asks for it, even in some cases when they haven't!! heh heh!! I'll go out of my way to do anything I can to help my fellow members and frequently my own member, but thats slightly off topic!!

We have members that have forgotten more than some of us will ever be able to learn, this is the same the world over with some people, it doesn't make them any better than the rest of us, just better at certain things than us! It takes all sorts to make something work, aswell as all sorts of subject matter, it doesn't always have to be about "who does the best sub", we had one of the weddings of the year, with our very own TeeJay marrying his very own CJ, we all got to share in it and it made us a part of it, even if some were many thousands of miles away! We had one of our most beloved members almost die just a month or so ago, we all held our breath, then we all celebrated in his recovery. Then we have that f**king walrus and his 5 secondly bucket saga!! But still, we all wait to make sure he gets it back, just incase, one day, *gasp* he doesn't!!

Bottom line is, yeah there will be guys who will come onto the board, buy a rep and never be seen again. You get that in any type of forum, in, find what they want, leave. Great, we all helped that person in some sort of way, but there will be the guy like me, who blunders across this place and thinks "Hey, I kinda like it in here, there is something for everyone!". If it's bang for buck you want, there is Chargod's 'Top ten best for under $150' there are some pieces in there that I have proudly in my collection, not just because they are cheap, but because they are awesome value, like the POrikka, amazing watch for the money! Then we have the pieces we drool over in the sales thread that cost upwards of $800 that someone has spent months, sometimes years, making! Yeah we may not be able to afford them, but we can admire, even aspire to, one day, being the person who is putting one of those watches up for sale!

I have made some of the best friends anyone could ask for on here and I truely care for the place, a lot! It may seem a pretty steep climb when you first come in, but take the time to look around, talk to a few people, then make your choice of whether you just want that one rep or whether you want to be one of the people named above and call this place home!!

Couldn't've said it any better myself, bro :good::tu::drinks:

Try getting that kind of help on facebook or myspace without having to sleep with the other person first!!

I have made some of the best friends anyone could ask for on here and I truely care for the place, a lot!

Couldn't even do that on RWG, its a Sausagefest. =@

It's essential to have a place you can get it all out without the pretty girls watching.

My suggestion is a NOOB section, where we can ask stupid questions and maybe some of the more knowledgeable members with a little more tolerance would provide answers.

Your such a silly noob. Who asked you? Actually thats a great idea P. ;)

It would give people like me a chance to share knowledge. I know enough to make a noobs head spin, but only a fraction of what some of the more brilliant minds amongst us know.

One of the issues is whether the Noob is actually interested in watches or just looking for a one off to impress his friends and doesn't want to be ripped off. The first will stay, the second usually won't. Speaking personally, when I was a Noob I found this place a little daunting. RG was much friendlier and Noob tolerant. However I hung in as the depth of knowledge here was impressive, and I have come to appreciate this more and more as I have grown in knowledge and capability. I am currently building a franken DJ, something I could not have even conceived without help from members here and knowledge available throughout the forum. I might add that I have found real kindness here, people who are willing to assist without looking for payback. I think this is a great place!

Can a forum be all things to all men? I'm not so sure. I also don't think it is the forum's role to provide everything on a plate for the Noob. Surely some effort is required on the Noob's part, particularly as watches are such personal things and no two people have identical tastes or pockets.

I am about as NOOB as anyone can be, I just found this forum a month ago. Previously been getting ripped off buying Reps. I found this forum read a lot and started dealing with Joshua, bought 3 Reps last month love them all.

Why don't I post - A little apprehension,I have learned a lot reading posts but have detected an attitude of Elitism by many members. I guess I fear getting flashed or just being told "do your research". I have been on a lot of diffent kinds of forums and the attitude is usually "There is no stupid question" While on this site the feeling a NOOBs get's is " All you questions are stupid "

I was very thankful that this site enabled me to learn a lot about Reps and also find honest dealers, so in my appreciation I made a small donation.

If you want NOOBs to become more active and become paying members, encourage them to learn don't make them feel inadequate in their knowledge.

Well If thats not the dumbest thing i have ever heard. How dare you say that.... :p Well said and I agree with you 100%. Welcome to RWG :) Mike

There is benefit even from a DBN (Drive-By Noob) who comes in, does his research, and buys one Sub or PO before never logging in again. Every time that happens, it increases slightly the worldwide demand for quality reps from reputable dealers, and decreases the demand for Canal Street garbage. Obviously, it would be preferable to us for them to stick around and contribute to the community, but ya can't always get what ya want.

Let's not look at DBNs as a total loss, as each one is a small victory.

On a totally unrelated note; yesterday, I saw that one of the commenters on the website of the San Francisco Chronicle (sfgate.com) uses the walrus/bucket photo as her avatar.