When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the quality like for Rep Pens?

paneristi_man

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a mont blanc fountain pen from PAM111.com, but not sure of the quality. Has anyone on this forum bought pens from PAM111 and could you give me an indication of how bad/good the pens are?

Or put another way are the pens as good as the watches?

Rgds

Nick

Thanks AMK. Did you buy it off PAM111? I am not aware of other dealers in this forum that sells pens besides pam111.

Sorry to be specific in this case. I just want to stick to dealers in this forum unless you can recommend a good dealer for rep pens?

I have dozens of gen pens; Mont Blanc, Parker, Waterman, Visconte, Nakami, and others I can't remember.

I have 2 rep pens. They were both crap. Both were rollerball and ran out of ink within a week. On one, the cap won't stay closed. The other one, a Mont Blanc RB from WBK, is just pure crap.

If you're looking for a fountain pen, you can get a decent Lamy for under $100, or a Nakami Vanishing Point for about $120. I have too many pens, all you need are a few good ones.

Limited experience here, but good with a fountain pen Cartier rep from Josh, it was one of the more expensive one, I am using it every day for nearly two years now, works like a dream. Now thinking of getting an MB rep too. I noticed Paul has different models then Josh, so not sure, but those from PC I can strongly recommend :)

Thanks all for your great replies.From what I am hearing it seems that best bet to stay away from rep pens, as the overall quality of these reps are not up to scratch esp if it's a fountain pen.I'm not keen on the ball point pens as I used the cheapie ones everyday.

Guess it'll have to be a gen Lamy or something along those lines.

Ah, there is an arcane method that is known to the mystics. It's called "asking". :victory:

true but you need to know who to ask. Not all dealers give you correct answers some just give you plain BS....

which is why i prefer asking you guys ;)

Guess it'll have to be a gen Lamy or something along those lines.

Lamy make excellent pens, but in my opinion their fountain pens are all too high-tech looking. Purely a matter of taste & opinion of course, but a traditional writing instrument like a fountain pen should look traditional too. If that's something you can relate to at all, then you might want to check out Waterman as well. A Hemisphere or Harmonie can be had for $100 or so and are both excellent pens (which I've owned). If you want to spend a little more, Waterman Expert Deluxe is my preferred writing instrument. At $160 it's not extortionately priced and for that you get a fountain pen which really is about as good as they get. The ergonomics are excellent (in my case at least), the nib is first class and extremely smooth in use and the black lacquer/gold finish is positively delectable as far as I'm concerned.

The shop links, by the way, are simply from the first result Google gave me. You could well find them cheaper elsewhere for all I know.

Agree with the general concensus that rep pens suck. Got a couple, and had not only the issues with the nib mentioned, but the treads were just not up to par either, they lasted all of about a week each. For fountain pens I have ended up getting a picasso which is very nice for the price, Chinese brand, paid $45 for it which came with a display box too. Although not as good a quality as the $200+ pens, is very nice for what it actually costs.

Picasso%20PS-915%20GREY%201.JPG

Obviously they are not all the great in use but bine worked fine (old ink types) but newer use them anymore (use keyboard instead) as they are mostly for the eye..... :drinks:

Obviously they are not all the great in use but bine worked fine (old ink types) but newer use them anymore (use keyboard instead) as they are mostly for the eye..... :drinks:

Yes I used the keyboard mostly too but a nice pen on one's desk is more for the eyes....and the occasional signing of documents . :)

Thanks AMK. Did you buy it off PAM111? I am not aware of other dealers in this forum that sells pens besides pam111.

Sorry to be specific in this case. I just want to stick to dealers in this forum unless you can recommend a good dealer for rep pens?

Well, I have never bought from PAM111 (I did 5-6 years ago when he was Paul).

As other members have said. Stick to rollers that can take genuine refill.

You can get pen from Phoband and Narikaa.

I just bought an MB fountain pen from Narikaa and for $5 (or so), I can't believe the quality. My wife even used it and commented on how nicely it writes. I have a dozen or so gen fountain pens and the one I got from Narikaa is arguably the best value and out performs ALL of the gen pens I have which cost less than $100.

I just bought an MB fountain pen from Narikaa and for $5 (or so), I can't believe the quality. My wife even used it and commented on how nicely it writes. I have a dozen or so gen fountain pens and the one I got from Narikaa is arguably the best value and out performs ALL of the gen pens I have which cost less than $100.

Could you tell which pen exactly (a number could help) are you talking about?

I've been using a MB rollerball rep pen from narikaa for a couple of years now. It is my daily use pen, and sits on my desk at work. I have replaced the original refill (which didn't last long) with a Parker (several times now). Great feel to it, very heavy, a pleasure to write with.

For the money, it's a no brainer!