When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Explorer 1655 Steve Mqueen model

collector

Have also heard the same as lanikai. I've recently gotten interested in this watch and thanks to toomuchgear, toadtorrent and lanikai have gotten to learn more about the available versions from the dealers. Have decided to wait for the new model to come out, then can get a better comparison.

Of course, as is always the problem for a super-accurate 1655 (and 1675), you really have to pony up for a gen.c.1575 as there isn't an alternative slow-beat GMT movement available. Any modded ETA 2836 or even the true GMT 2893 just beats too highly, and thus seconds too smoothly, to pass as gen on inspection.

An accurate and realistically priced case set would be still be very welcome though, as it would provide a decent base for the average hobbyist.

"Of course, as is always the problem for a super-accurate 1655 (and 1675), you really have to pony up for a gen.c.1575 as there isn't an alternative slow-beat GMT movement available. Any modded ETA 2836 or even the true GMT 2893 just beats too highly, and thus seconds too smoothly, to pass as gen on inspection."

I made a '1655' that came with an eta 2836-2 into a slower beat movement (21600) by swapping some parts around.

The 1575 GMT is 19800 bph and the 2846 is 21600 bph and I doubt anyone can tell the difference by just looking at the second hand.

I made a '1655' that came with an eta 2836-2 into a slower beat movement (21600) by swapping some parts around.

The 1575 GMT is 19800 bph and the 2846 is 21600 bph and I doubt anyone can tell the difference by just looking at the second hand.

Sure it's possible to modify a slow-beat movt to run a GMT function, but it requires watchmaker's skill ("swapping some parts around" makes it sound much easier than it is) and even then it's not exactly ultra-reliable. RepAustria did it on a 1655 I remember.

But for the majority of 1655 reps using a 2836, the 28.8k bph is noticeably much faster/smoother than the gen. calibre.

Sure it's possible to modify a slow-beat movt to run a GMT function, but it requires watchmaker's skill ("swapping some parts around" makes it sound much easier than it is) and even then it's not exactly ultra-reliable. RepAustria did it on a 1655 I remember.

But for the majority of 1655 reps using a 2836, the 28.8k bph is noticeably much faster/smoother than the gen. calibre.

honestly this is an easy swap.

I have a 1655 that i did this way : here

I even think i did a post about the swap long time ago (maybe on rwg1).

You need the gmt module from a basic rep (like josh or trusty)

And then get a slow beat 2846 used watch on the bay (expect around 40€).

I can re post pictures of the gear transplant if intersted.

but that wont solve all the problem.

most basic rep will have a 7mm crow.

so when swaped to a 6mm the gap will look obvious.

and the crown wont align as it should be...

the basic rep case will let a gen tropic 116 sit to high, and therefore the date mag will be too strong ...

and so on ...

so a resonably budgeted 1655 project can't be as good as some other vintage model, like a 1680 for example.

that why there are so few perfect 1655 floating around ...

One suggestion would be to use the gen GMT 1675 as a base. swap the bezel, gen dial + gen hands set...... at the end of the day, you will have a very nice 1675 GMT that you can sell in the future.

According to my genuine dealer in the Netherlands, when the 1655 was released, as it did not sell, the largest Amsterdam AD offered a "transformer kit" so you could go from a Explorer to a GMT look !!!

Ok, it's not helping the discussion on the best route, but it's a funny story? All this for 2 or 3K :Jumpy:

Pitty we weren't older and in Amsterdam in those years :whistling:

A photo of mine ?

Rolex1655RA_800_61.jpg

All the best,

Stephane

I would love to build a 1655. I had even a Ndtrading case set and subsequently sold to a friend for $300. the hardest bit was the dial, esp getting the Rolex Coronet correct.

Do you have any more of these cases at that price? I have gen parts to put on once I have it... dial, hands, movement, bezel, crystal, crown etc

• 2 months later...