When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Canon EOS lens nightmare, Repair Center from HELL

RWG Technical

In the spring I bought a new EOS-40D along with a couple of lenses. When I looked at one lens, it had a metallic particle and some dust on the second lens element as viewed from the front on the lens body.

In early June, I sent the lens in to the Canon Canada authorized repair center to be cleaned along with a detailed letter explaining the problem.

4 weeks later, the lens shows up, and when I open the box, the WO states "No fault found..." and when I take the lens cap off, sure enough, the lens is still full of dust, not only did they not read my letter, they didn't even bother to look at the lens.

I call the Canon repair Center Customer service line...here's part of that conversation:

Me

"...there was lint and dust on the inside of the len...." I am cut off mid sentence...

Cannon

"WE DON'T have a DUST FREE repair center, so we can't guarantee that your EOS will be dust free..."

Me

"Your kidding, the EOS factory repair center isn't dust free? Isn't the EOS line geared towards the Professional photographer, dust is a major issue, especially with Digital camera's..."

Canon

"That's why your camera has an Ultrasonic Cleaner built into it, to prevent dust..." :bangin:

Me

"The Ultrasonic Cleaner only works on the sensor, and is designed for the end user, not as an excuse for not working in a dust free zone when you do repairs. So tell me, how does the Ultrasonic Cleaner prevent dust elsewhere in the camera, or in my case, INSIDE the lens body...which isn't even attached to the camera body..."

Canon

- "..............." silence...

So I take pictures of the dust, write another detailed letter, send the pictures along, and send it back, it's now mid July.

End of August, the lens shows up, WO states "Outside of front lens element cleaned, serviceable" (are they DUMB or just STUPID), a quick look shows that the dust is STILL there on the INSIDE of the lens body, just like my letter stated. Even I know how to clean the OUTSIDE of the lens...

Call Canon again, again I am cut off as soon as I mention the word DUST, and told by Canon:

"WE dont' have a DUST FREE repair center, we can't get rid of dust..."

So I package the lens up again, and send it out...with a detailed explaination, pictures, etc... this time to the attention of a Supervisor, who will make sure it's taken care of.

The lens showed up yesterday, WO states

"Lens cleaned inside, no defects now...". Yea! success they finally fixed it...sadly my excitement was short lived... :thumbdown:

I take the lens cap off, and look down the hole, with the naked eye you can see many particles of dust inside the lens body (I guess they were right, they DON"T have a DUST Free repair shop), and then I notice a 1/2" scratch in the center of the inside lens element, and then I look closer...what's this...it can't be...you have got to be kidding me...

A BIG Greasy FINGERPRINT on the lens element inside the lens body.

:shock:

UNBELIEVABLE.

Who in their right mind touches a lens element, and who would do so with a GREASY finger...

I bought this lens the first week of June, FOUR and a HALF months later, I have yet to be able to actually use it...what a joke, I must be on Punked or Candid Camera, this would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic and sad. The lens is now totally unusable due to the scratch, finger print and more dust...

The really sad part is that I have no where else to go, I am NOT sending it back to these clowns...

So my advise to you, buy a NIKON, this was my FIRST and LAST Canon Camera, I will never buy another Canon after this shitty experience.

R -

Sorry to hear about your experience with the poor repair center. The USA center is in Irvine, CA and they have always done excellent work for me. They've even done things for free on lenses that were out of warranty.

If you'd like to send it to them I'm sure they'll take care of your lens properly. I can even be a middle man if you need me to ship it to them for you.

B

I droped a lens on carpet and the filter shattered with some glass dust finding its way into the lens right under the exterior of the element both front and back but its never shown up in my pics even at f/22 and on a long exposure which i use to hunt for dust spots on the sensor. I brought it to canon and they really didnt want to touch it as it seems. They gave me the whole cant gaurantee they wont damage it spiel or even get all the dust out but would still charfe me for trying. That was enough for me to say forget it and walk away.

R -

Sorry to hear about your experience with the poor repair center. The USA center is in Irvine, CA and they have always done excellent work for me. They've even done things for free on lenses that were out of warranty.

If you'd like to send it to them I'm sure they'll take care of your lens properly. I can even be a middle man if you need me to ship it to them for you.

B

I may take you up on that offer. Waiting to hear from the outlet where the lens was bought, to see if they will replace it with a serviceable one.

Thanks for the offer.

I feel for you.

I sent back a JVC camcorder recently, as the zoom would work on its own, randomly.

The retailer sent it back to me with a 'fault not found' statement. To add insult to injury, when I looked at the still images saved on the memory card, I saw 3 pictures of the monkeys in the stock room, having a right old time with my camcorder.

In one picture, the warehouseman was giving a 'two fingered salute' to the camera!

I wasn't pleased, complained, and was promptly ignored despite repeated attempts to get some proper 'service'.

Makes you wonder how these clowns stay in business.

oi vey. Thats rediculous.

As a last resort, could you purchase a new one at a retail store, keep the new (good) one and return the old one for your money back? Worst case scenario is the plan doesnt work and you have to return the new lens eh?

The bastards put serial numbers on the lens, believe me I have tried to think of every angle...

Yikes. I actually had a good experience with Canon CS USA back in 2006 on a 3 year old camera with bad ccd. They wound up RMAing a 3yr old camera and sending me the current model. Went from a 230 to a 630 series. It was part of a recall however, phone conversation less than 5 minutes.

In the last year however, I have seen a decline in Canon quality in everything from printers to cameras. Seems like unless you are a Mark 5 shooter, the rest of the line is withering a bit.

Canon WAS the go to camera, now Nikon and Panasonic seem to be on top of their game.

• 2 months later...

GEEEZ Zig...that is brutal. I'm not sure if the whole EOS line is geared towards pros...or just their L series lenses...we used to joke it was only the lenses that were grey that were worth looking into...either way, no dust-free facility for working on lenses is freakin' brutal...unbelieveable.