When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to do with an F.A. Jones carcass...

Guest avitt

When the IWC Portuguese FA Jones Edition replica came out a few years ago, I was really eager to try one. I admired the Jones' large, simple styling, and thought that it would be nearly ideal for replication.

But try as I did, I could never appreciate the rep. It just felt too light, and unworthy of the original. And it didn't help that the only model that I liked used a cheap, crappy set of painted blue hands. I tried three different reps, and all of them had hands with flakes or chips in the paint...

After trying unsuccessfully to locate a proper set of blued steel hands, I threw my two remaining reps into a box, and starting looking at alternatives.

It wasn't until recently when I found a dial which would fit the larger-than-normal size of the Jones case. This was an unusual dial, from a Hamilton pocket watch...Unusual, because it was made for the 6498 movement!

Using my oldest Jones case set (with a sapphire crystal) and scraping together the remaining bits from eBay, this is what I ended up with:

img6295s.jpg

img6297.jpg

img6300.jpg

img6302.jpg

Now, I understand that this watch is not for everyone (in fact, I don't even think it's for me). But it has a nice, solid feel, and I like to look at it!

I think it looks great. It really does look like it left the factory (or studio!) this way. Well done.

How do you determine ahead of time which watches will fit which movements? Is there a reference that indicates which pocket watches from which era might be sized for a 6498, or do you have to do this on speculation (buying the pocket watch because it looks about right, cracking it open and taking a chance??).

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think it looks great. It really does look like it left the factory (or studio!) this way. Well done.

How do you determine ahead of time which watches will fit which movements? Is there a reference that indicates which pocket watches from which era might be sized for a 6498, or do you have to do this on speculation (buying the pocket watch because it looks about right, cracking it open and taking a chance??).

Toad, the easiest thing to do is to stick with the movement for which the case was designed. The FA Jones rep used a 6498, so my real task was to find a 6498 dial which fit the opening of the case.

With regard to the dial diameter - again, it's easiest to try to match what was originally in the watch. I simply measured the diameter of the Jones rep dial. This gave me the ideal measurement...To find the range of acceptable dial diameters, I used calipers to measure the opening.

Then it was just a matter of searching eBay for a proper dial (using the terms "dial" and "6498"). I was trying to match the style of the Jones, so I looked for a white, porcelain pocket watch dial. But most of these are made for 16 size movements...

Then I came across this one: made for the 6498, and the perfect diameter!

To confirm that this was the "right" dial, I printed out a picture to scale, cut it out, and tried it for appearance:

img6322q.jpg

The last task was picking the hands. With this dial, the choice seemed obvious: antique style, white. Roland Kemmner had just what I needed...

Building a custom piece is not so difficult at all! You have to give it a try!