When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Twin blade razor vs. a gajillion blades

GarrettP1

Quick question regarding shaving/razors.

I use a twin blade razor (Gillette Sensor), which has been discontinued for several years. However, Gillette still makes the twin blades, and they are easy to purchase.

Currently the only new razors I can find have either 3 blades, 4 blades, or (and this seems a little crazy) 5 blades.

The twin blade razors are more narrow, and make it much easier to shave the top of the lip and across curves on the face.

I feel like I nick myself more easily and frequently with the triple and quadruple bladed razors.

My question is, why have these many bladed razors taken over the market, or is there something I am doing wrong that makes me favor the twin blades?

I shave in the shower while my beard is wet, and it makes it much easier to do so.

Am I the last guy out there using twin blades?

Thanks,

Garrett

I usually just grind my face against a brick wall... no razors needed. 8)

Seriously, I've used BIC single blade razors for years and have always sworn by them. But on a recent return from a flight, when I couldn't find my beloved BIC, my favorite wife offered to let me use her Girly Razor, it's pink with a trillion (or more) blades.

Gotta admit, that sucker got my face smoooooooth as a baby's butt. But I had no aim, so I shaved off half an earlobe and half my chin.

Ya gotta make your choice and live by it: few blades = good aim. Lotsa blades = close and comfy shave, bad aim.

I have been using Gillette mach 3 blades for years. I think they have 3 blades. I have sensitive skin and these are the only blades that don't irritate me. I use the turbo and power series sometimes as well and honestly they work better, but I get a hell of a deal on the regular mach 3 blades at the flea market so I buy them in bulk. I tried the schick 5 blades not long ago because they were cheaper and boy did they give me a rash. Didn't really shave close either. If I use anything less I swear I wouldn't have skin left on my face.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have a Gillette Sensor until I dropped it in the shower. I did have to get a Mach 3 as a replacement. I prefer a simpler blade as well but I also like a nice strip of that medicine goo they have on the good blades. Seems if you want a single blade the only option is bic disposables.

Costco sells a bunch of 4 or 5 blade razors for, like, $40. Ridiculous. The last one I used was a two-blade disposable job my wife picked up somewhere. One of the best razors I've ever used.

But, Nanuq, those single blade Bic's are the worst God-awful things. Last time I used one I lost a pint of blood.

But, Nanuq, those single blade Bic's are the worst God-awful things.

But being a Scoutmaster, and, as always; 'ready', the Bic can be inverted and the hollow end blown into as an emergency whistle, or bear deterrent. It can also accompany the troop on sing-a-longs...............

OK everybody, you know you want to; sing to the tune of God Bless America (Doc, try to keep tempo this time)

God bless my underwear, my only pair.

Stand beside them, and guide them,

Through the rips, through the holes, through the tears.

From the washer, to the dryer, to my backpack, to my rear.

God bless my underwear, my only pair.

God bless my underwear, or I'll be bare.

God bless my underwear

That I wear down there.

I outgrow them, then throw them,

Those who wear them will never be square

When the bully, gives a wedgie

Pray that they won

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Single blade disposables suck. Double blade is all you'll ever need. Mach 3 was the best self shave I ever had, Fusion is what I use now because I got it for free. The extra blade for your sideburns is worthless.