When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

JewelryandWatch 1655

denimhead

Any thoughts on buying a complete 1655 from Phong at Jewelry and watch, any experiences etc? I have had in the past a DRSD case from NT Trading which my watchmaker spotted a mile away as not being a genuine case, are these cases the same product or is Phongs stuff really that good.All thoughts greatly appreciated. Denimhead

Any thoughts on buying a complete 1655 from Phong at Jewelry and watch, any experiences etc? I have had in the past a DRSD case from NT Trading which my watchmaker spotted a mile away as not being a genuine case, are these cases the same product or is Phongs stuff really that good.All thoughts greatly appreciated. Denimhead

IMHO :

Jewelry, Phong , NDTrading = not worth it

try yuki watch ? but 1655 is a special case ;) want to use a gen movement ?

cheers,

Frank

IMHO :

Jewelry, Phong , NDTrading = not worth it

try yuki watch ? but 1655 is a special case ;) want to use a gen movement ?

cheers,

Frank

Hi Frank,

I am really after a complete watch with the 1570 movement etc, i know they occasionally come up for sale on here as complete Frankens.

Cheers DH

Remember the adage - If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Phong's (J&W), NDtrading & Yuki all use essentially the same component sources in their watches. The primary difference is price (Yuki is often cheapest). If you are unable to build a watch yourself, then these assembled frankens are a great alternative. However, you should beware that, like rep watches themselves, QC, from what I have seen (& I am sure Ziggy will concur), is next to non-existent from any of these commercial franken builders. Further, whenever a corner can be cut during assembly, it usually is......& not in ways that a proper watchmaker (or knowledgeable watch collector) would exactly appreciate. With this in mind, I would recommend that if you plan to buy an assembled franken, also plan to have it fully serviced by a professional watchmaker as soon as it arrives. This will allow you to catch most potential disasters before they occur (or before the seller's guarantee runs out) & help to insure a long, serviceable life.

I got my Tudor 7032 from Phong but he gave me very good price on it.. some of his other vintages are nice.. but ohhhhhh .. you could buy a nice genuine for the price.. :thumbsupsmileyanim: .. sheesh I could of bought a nice genuine for the price I payed for my 7032..

but ahhh... I'm happy with it.. :D

AC

Lani

I am curious what was his, mile away, tell?

I just changed my 5513 to a NDT case from Yuki because of the better case back & mid case engraving & finish. The finish of the lug is much better as well. The engraving between the lugs because it is so close to the geninue - this gives me an option to put on a nato.

The only thing from the Yuki's case that I kept was the insert. I think they are the best I have seen so far (as an aftermarket insert). One of the things I don't like about Phong is his case-back. I always have trouble opening his case back, even with a Bergeon. As mentioned above, I would not buy a complete watch from either of them. It is my experience that sometimes they have really bad craftmanship. They all use their suncontractors based in Vietnam!

Truthfully, I cannot tell any difference between a ND trading DRSD case, Phong DRSD case, and a Geninue 1665 case. Remeber people were (and probably) are selling these frankens as geninue in the grey market. Yes, experienced vintage collectors can tell the differences. But when it is a complete watch on a 93150 bracelet, I really don't think you can tell the difference. (OK - Phong's bezel is not that good)

In summary, I would just buy parts from these people (choosing the best parts) and get a 2nd hand 1601 (given that these vintage Datejust are much cheaper now) and send to The Zigmeister for assembling and services.

Flex

There was talk of either Andrew or Josh I believe working on a project for a 1655. We'll see what comes of it. I've been tempted to buy a gen one for awhile...but always get cold feet given the price tag on them. :(

A decent rep would be great with the proper case thickness. Zig can work the dial with his usual magic, Omega hands. Slick!!

There was talk of either Andrew or Josh I believe working on a project for a 1655. We'll see what comes of it. I've been tempted to buy a gen one for awhile...but always get cold feet given the price tag on them. :(

A decent rep would be great with the proper case thickness. Zig can work the dial with his usual magic, Omega hands. Slick!!

Morning Toad

Andrew emailed me yesterday confirming that ther is a new 1655 rep on the way(eta based)He has sent his own watch for replication.

He was clear that there were going to to be other models first.Couldn't get anymore out of him.

Lets see what they come up with.

Cheers DH