When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Doxa Pro Sub Pre-T

lanikai

Actually Red.. it needs some TLC.. beside the bezel (hope it's not epoxied into place..)the stem may be warped and in need of a new one.. dunno.. the movement is loose so I don't know if there is a proper space in place.. so instead of opening it ... it need Robs attention at some point..

the dial has been relumed, sometime ago.. dunno if it's a redial.. but the bracelet is in great shape.. it wears like silk..

but that bezzzzel.. .. yikes...

I'm totally happy with my first vintage Doxa though :D

now the hunt for a bezel continues...

AC

Lani

Ohhhhhhh, that's nice!! Congratulations big guy!!

That is one superb vintage! Signed crown, complete BOR bracelet, ringed caseback... she's a beauty! The boys over on TSFWIBB think you might find a bezel there... I have email addresses for some enthusiasts that have posted photos of bezels so I have a real good feeling about this.

Isn't that bracelet just the best? I'm nuts about mine. And yes, that little tab is supposed to stick out like that... even though you can bend your wrist and release its tension. Who saw that coming? ;)

I wouldn't necessarily think that's a redial. Yes the lume is bright so it's probably new. But the font and spacing is dead-on to original, and that font is HARD to do. The one thing that makes me wonder though, is the tiny lume dot between the "hyphen" and the date in its little black box. Yours is missing. But you know what's cool about that? You're about to discover that Doxa enthusiasts couldn't care less if it's a redial. A Rolex-aholic would fall over dead at the mere mention, but Doxa? Bring it on... it's all good. No matter where you post those closeups, you'll get high fives and offers to buy you a beer. It's that nice.

What a score!!! You should be a proud, proud man. Congratulations! :tu:

Thank you B !!.. it all started with you and RWG !! I haven't even posted this ova thar yet.. :D

RWG is home.. but tomorrow it will go up there in hopes of finding the bez..

The bracelet is "too cool" .. it feels like wearing silk !! the lume is fuzzy though not lumed recently .. but I love it regardless of what may have been done to the lume..

the crown does get me nervous though.. it's warped when turning.. something to look at later .. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

the dial font is so fine and precise..the matted hands are mesmerizing ... ok .. I am definitely hooked.. :lol:

the clasp is an engineering masterpiece back in the day.. Doxa was more innovative than they are given credit for... well we all know what brand 'took" the credit.. :whistling:

And it just lays on your wrist like you were born with it..to cool !!!

Thank you again B for being our Doxa Guru here.. :good:

I look at my Doxa's and your image with the eagle comes to mind.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@CS.. wow.. can't let that happen .. :p

Malama Pono !!

AC

R

Agreed 1000% Lani. Once you go vintage Doxa, there's no going back. They just "fit" so nice. Here's hoping we find you a bezel for that puppy, and soon. And as soon as that happens, your black bezel there looks just like a 1675 bezel for a franken project. Check out the shape of its knurling. :whistling:

Does your crown screw down? It ought to have a small clutch inside, and when pressed in gently, it should "grab" and thread onto the tube. If the stem is bent, but it still screws down, then you might be fine. It will be a BUGGER getting that back off, but if you do a new stem should be a piece of cake.

Check out your endlinks, they're rounded where they fold over. Those are the real early ones, my BL is like that. I have a stash (perhaps the only stash) of gen vintage endlinks, about 20 pairs left. All are identical and all are square edged at the fold. If you want to try a set, I'll send some to you.

Agreed 1000% Lani. Once you go vintage Doxa, there's no going back. They just "fit" so nice. Here's hoping we find you a bezel for that puppy, and soon. And as soon as that happens, your black bezel there looks just like a 1675 bezel for a franken project. Check out the shape of its knurling. :whistling:

Does your crown screw down? It ought to have a small clutch inside, and when pressed in gently, it should "grab" and thread onto the tube. If the stem is bent, but it still screws down, then you might be fine. It will be a BUGGER getting that back off, but if you do a new stem should be a piece of cake.

Check out your endlinks, they're rounded where they fold over. Those are the real early ones, my BL is like that. I have a stash (perhaps the only stash) of gen vintage endlinks, about 20 pairs left. All are identical and all are square edged at the fold. If you want to try a set, I'll send some to you.

I was afraid of the screw down.. nope.. not catching and I hear these crowns are next to impossible to find... :wounded1:

I'd be in luck if all it is.. is the tube but.. oh well...

yes, got that same thought with the bezel for one of my modded Rolex's

AC

Lani

edit add:.. I'm taking it to a watch smith here today... who has the collection of vintage Rolex.. see what they say about the crown..

Yeah, forget ever finding that crown again. My Sharkie has some pathetic little button crown on it, doesn't screw down, and I keep it away from water.

The crown and tube on my LeJour Superman look nearly identical to the Doxa parts, unsigned of course, and do screw down. If someone was to take them off the donor watch and cut new threads in the Doxa case, he might have a waterproof Sharkie. :whistling:

There's my $100 gamble.

Yeah, forget ever finding that crown again. My Sharkie has some pathetic little button crown on it, doesn't screw down, and I keep it away from water.

The crown and tube on my LeJour Superman look nearly identical to the Doxa parts, unsigned of course, and do screw down. If someone was to take them off the donor watch and cut new threads in the Doxa case, he might have a waterproof Sharkie. :whistling:

There's my $100 gamble.

whatever you suggest .. I'm game B :) ... I'll take it into the watchsmith to have him look it over and see what shape it's in all around.

at the age of this Doxa anything other than rain is out.. I wouldn't think of testing it in any body of water.. :whistling: .. realistically the age alone compromises the integrity of the seals .. this is to be treated with admiration and not as a working watch.. it's been there done that .. so to speak.. time for the ole gent to retire and be appreciated for it's history..

I'll see what mr. watch smith has to say.. before I eventually send it on it's way to ZM..

AC

R

thank you DL!! :)

just got back from the vintage collector and AD.. he's cool insists on helping me personally.. he was very complimentary of the 300 Pre-T.. said it is very rare.. and the funny thing was he kept saying.. "I could kick myself".. he sold his Doxa vintage collection about 5 years ago for around 300 usd ea.

he was curious about the bezel .. confirmed it looks like it's epoxied in place.. but told me not to worry if I swap it for a genuine he can get it off.. the crown.. will be left alone..

the other news is I asked if I could bring in my camera to his study.. he asked "why don't you buy some of my vintage Rolex :unsure: ... yikes.... he has all the rare collectibles... :rolleyes:

but he told me it was fine to bring in my camera..and shoot his collection :Jumpy: He has an amazing collection even the special edition (can't remember the number) the rep Cats has of the Sub that was reissued by Rolex with the SL lume.. for release in the UK only..was it the 1665 dial ??

anyway really looking forward to shooting some of his vintage collection ...

AC

Lani

WOW! That's a really nice example of the "No T " 300 Sub. It's very hard to find one in really good condition, because these were used by divers as serious tool watches. Remember guys, when the Doxa 300's were introduced in the late 1960's most folks didn't have but one or possibly two watches. They wore the same watch every day under every condition.

The only problem I can forsee is with the bezel. Obviously the one on the watch is incorrect, as all Doxas of that era had the non-decompression dive table bezels which were all metal. Here is the dilemma. Doxa made around 35 different bezels over the years that fit the

various 300t models. Doxa was owned by three different entities, and every one made changes and modifications.Unfortunately, Doxa did not have a parts numbering system for bezels, so it is almost impossible to tell if a bezel will fit without trying it on the watch.I have had three different bezels that appearance wise were almost identical, but the internal dimensions were just different enough that they wouldn't fit.

Lots of luck with your project. These old Doxas are great watches,and I'm sure if they could talk they would have a Helluva story to tell.

Arthur

Well...good luck on the quest Lani. It's great to see the troops rallying up to help each other out.

Great opportunity to photograph the vintage Rollie collection . Was it this watchsmith that had a pre-HEV DRSD?? I remember reading a thread on this.

Same one.. he's cool.. and what a collection..

if the bezel is "meant to be it will happen" :)

L

Lani,

Let me look through alll my Doxa stuff. I have several Bezels, possibly one is a "no T" 300 Bezel. I bought 3 or 4 bezels several years ago, but only one would fit one of my Doxas, and that one already had a very good bezel! If I can find one, I'll send it to you and you can give it a try.Another suggestion if your "hooked on Doxas" buy a copy of Dr Peter Millar's book "Doxa Sub Forty Years 1967-2007" It is a great reference source and also let's you easily check as to what's correct and what's not.

PM me your email address and I'll see if I can turn up the bezels.

Arthur

P153/AP-

First off- It's great to see you posting again! Somehow, I figured it would be a Doxa thread that would get you posting here again :) Hope you are doing well.

Second... If anyone would possibly, remotely have the bezel for Lani's watch, I figured it would be you. If not, I bet you would know where to start looking ;)

Lani- The Pre-T is looking good, but I have a feeling that the right bezel is going to proppel it beyond comprehension. Can't wait to see what unfolds next!

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

:Jumpy::shock: :shock: :Jumpy:

I'll get the doc to remove the kidney ASAP.

Seriously Alan.. that would be more than I imagined.. and to happen on the forum I call home would be ...... no words..

I was humbled by this gesture it was a sort of "welcome home", after a short leave ..

snowflake013.jpg

snowflake020.jpg

ok my fingers are running to the message center.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC

R

Sheesh.. jus checked the otha fora... 1 reply.. "you got it for a good price on the bay because it lacked parts.. but congrats.. planets have to be aligned for a bezel.. check with Doxa"(it wasn't said that bluntly but that is the feeling).... I should be grateful for 1 reply... :g:.. maybe I didn't "get it" properly... :whistling:

somehow I get the feeling that,.... that place is not for me... :lol:

no place like home... :wub:

AC

Lani