When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Warning: Price Rises On The Way

cornerstone

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it's official about the upcoming price rises. It looks like we're going to be hit by a double hit of price rises too - a kind of "Perfect Storm" of replica prices. As some of you know, monitoring commodity prices is what keeps me in reps, and there are three direct phone lines (as in literally three phones) from China, Japan and Singapore on my desk, so I often end up nattering on about my hobby, and all sorts of interesting information can sometimes materialise.

Anyway, here's the low down:

1. CRACK DOWN ON EXPORTING REPLICAS:

Instead of hitting counterfeit goods on the way in, they are getting hit on the way out. It stands to reason that if more stuff is getting confiscated, prices go up accordingly.

2. DRAMATIC INCREASE IN THE PRICE OF LUMINOL:

There are two problems here. One is being blamed on environmental factors, the other on those cuddly Iranians:

(1) It's well known that the sun is getting brighter, but the yin to that yang is that the nights are getting darker. Means more luminol is needed all round, demand and supply, you know the rest.

(2) Iran is importing a lot of luminol for reasons unknown. There have been some jokes around the office of them attempting to fake a nuclear accident in the near future to make their fission technology look more advanced. Either way it's leading to speculation in the market - spot rates for luminol are up 7% in morning day trading (Singapore).

This is going to hit the price of PAM's more than other reps by the way - longer name.

3. A good, honest ARTHUR ANDERSON / ENRON style fuck up:

This is unbelievable - I've been reading this a lot on the forum lately - an important component of ALL OUR FORUM CHAT hasn't been adjusted for inflation since 1932!! Hold on to your wallets, this is going to sting when it filters through.

A lot of people have been discussing prices on the forum thinking that they are tied to the Chinese Renminbi, but that's not the case. Surprisingly the relevant Consumer Price Index link is actually to the US$.

I've been reading a lot of "justmytwocentsworthwhichaintworthmuch" - but guys, this is two cents at 1932 prices.

The two cents is tied to the cost of US postage stamps, the cost of writing a letter to the editor - and the current price is thirty nine cents.

[For the avoidance of doubt - that is thirty point five eurocents.]

This graph explains it better:

108902-24402.gif

So it's time to wake up people - from now on it is "justmythirtyninecents, andyouusedtobeabletobuyalotofcandyforthat"

Or in eurocents if you prefer.

Opinions are going to cost a lot more for all of us, I guess we'll just have to take a deep breath and move on.

Oh, and I know that RWG$ aren't in tender any more, but with the luminol price rises, if Robi wants to highlight his name again, it's going to cost more like RWG$1800, maybe RWG$1850.

Don't shoot the messenger! :black_eye:

interesting - well there is 1 more reason i have to give to my wife to pick up reps now - i'm really saving us money honey :)

by the way, sept 1st, allofmp3.com prices are going up - they are a russian mp3 site - apparently they cut a deal to get the record co's off their backs - no idea what the new pricing is.

You know when ebay was young - LOTS of great bargains to be had. Then it became too popular and the market became tighter - and in a tight market bargains are scarce -

seems that the intellectula property revolution of the early 2000's is starting to kick in.

By the way - i bought my replica of a replica football jersey today on ebay - miami dolphins culpepper authentic - normal price - 320 bucks.

same exact damn thing put together in some chinese factory for 50 bucks on ebay.

:) same thing with early mp3 trading :)

soon we won't be able to use copied MS office disks.

oh the world won't be as fun in the future ;) The sad part is. If it weren't for me being able to have pirated versions of Photoshop. I wouldn't have had my office buy the real liscense for me to do some work on it :)

back to the point - I hope the ride isn't too ruff - we'll see what the market bears. - there is alot of fat built into our supply chain - i'm sure everyone will take a hit, not just the end purchaser

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it's official about the upcoming price rises.

You're also forgetting the decrease in the use of child and/or slave labour. With so many namby-pamby lily-livered liberals chaining themselves to whales over human rights, the use of child labour is getting more difficult to exploit, which means they need to start making bigger watches, as the smallest of hand-sizes are no longer available in such quantities. While this means no increase in the cost of making Panerais, the Lume increases more than covers the difference.

Couple this with the increase in drunk paraplegic Monkeys used as delivery vectors and you can instantly see slower, less reliable deliveries.

When supply chains are hampered in multiple ways like this, you will see an increase in cost and a decrease in quality. This adds a factor to the cost of the quality we're used to, meaning your figuers only show part of the increases we're due to incur.

Yes, CornerStone is being a necessary Harbinger, and he's only started scratching the surface.

Get 'em while they're hot.

You're also forgetting the decrease in the use of child and/or slave labour. With so many namby-pamby lily-livered liberals chaining themselves to whales over human rights, the use of child labour is getting more difficult to exploit, which means they need to start making bigger watches, as the smallest of hand-sizes are no longer available in such quantities. While this means no increase in the cost of making Panerais, the Lume increases more than covers the difference.

Couple this with the increase in drunk paraplegic Monkeys used as delivery vectors and you can instantly see slower, less reliable deliveries.

When supply chains are hampered in multiple ways like this, you will see an increase in cost and a decrease in quality. This adds a factor to the cost of the quality we're used to, meaning your figuers only show part of the increases we're due to incur.

Yes, CornerStone is being a necessary Harbinger, and he's only started scratching the surface.

Get 'em while they're hot.

Pugwash is quite right about this, but thankfully there is some respite for a couple of these matters on the horizon:

END OF CHILD LABOUR: Indeed a lamentable problem. Too many rep-making children are getting better offers making sneakers. Or coal-mining.

There is a solution though - you may recall how it was possible to stunt feet growth by binding them. Well what they have discovered is that if they bind the kids' hands to the coal picks really tightly, not only do they not drop the picks, but their hands stay nice and small. Just the way you want them for putting the hands on your $90 21J automatic.

DRUNKEN MONKEYS: It's about time, but they've just started ramping up the AA for Monkeys campaign - let us all hope and pray that scenes like this will soon be a thing of the past, for all our reps' sakes:

[PICTURES COURTESY OF www.ems-exposed.com]

109005-24375.jpg

109005-24376.jpg

Incidentally, tritium lume ended the day up 12 points, so lick it while you can still afford to.