When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacing a CG pin with a new custom made pin.

RWG Technical

Some PAM CG's as delivered come with terrible pins, check this one out...it's crappy, yeach :thumbdown:

1.jpg

First step is to drive the old pin out of the CG and throw it in the trash can where it belongs, then the CG is drilled with a new larger hole to accept the new pin.

1b.jpg

A piece of silver steel is fitted to a collet and inserted in the lathe to be machined down by hand to fit the CG.

1c.jpg

As the silver steel bar is turned down, I test fit the CG to make sure I have cut it to the correct size. Once the bar fits the upper part of the CG and the new hole I drilled, we need to make the lower part.

1d.jpg

Next up is to form the bottom part of the pin that fits into the lower part of the CG, it's quite a bit smaller as you can see at the tip where it's stepped down.

1e.jpg

Once the new pin fits the CG correctly, the bar is cut off, the ends are cut down and filled to fit flush with the CG, and finally the whole thing is polished and re-attached to the case.

So from this:

1.jpg

To this:

1a.jpg

A nice improvement. It takes about an hour to fabricate the new pin, all the turning, cutting, and fitting is done freehand, and polishing takes time to get a nice finish.

Things always look and sound easy when you describe it. Your equipment + my skills = =@

Funny, Brodie. I feel the same way. This post very clearly illustrates just how important the details are when separating the winners from the also-rans: this watch is now a winner. Great stuff, Zig.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I don't get why everyone is making such a big deal over a small little pin.

Maybe because in this case, size matters! I never really paid much attention to the CG pins. Not for nothing, that truly looks so much better. The fit and finish, perfect.

Hey Zig, Thanks. You just created an eyesore out of my current CG. :mellow: