When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blue Light Therapy...

TwoTone

Picked up the Philips Blue Light yesterday from Costco...

Expensive li'l bastard at $150.00...

Portable and rechargeable...

Wondering if anyone here has any experience with Light Therapy?

The long Grey winters of the Pacific Northwest seem to give me the blues...

Hopeful...

Double T

philipsgolitebluelightf.jpg

Hey, amigo we've got lots of experience with that up here. When it gets bad enough it's called Cabin Fever and then there are rifles and Troopers involved.

I've never thought much of those blue LEDs, what you need is STRONG full spectrum light on your retinas. The ever delectable Ms. Nanuq uses a SAD light (Seasonal Affective Disorder) with strong fluorescent full spectrum tubes in it, and has it on for an hour every morning. It's considered a durable medical good here so it's even covered by our insurance.

My solution is to join a shinny hockey league for noon games. I keep the gear in my truck and meet over at the pond for an hour skate. That gets the heart going, you get lots of sunlight on your retinas, and it keeps the rifle in the closet where it belongs. You can also try biking to work, the sun is up earlier for you and you might be able to pull off some sunshine that way. Or you can try some XC skiing after work, or snowshoeing. Whatever it takes to get out for an hour of sun every day. Sunlight and Sweat. Every day.

You'll do okay, Double-T. Don't confuse the move and job change with seasonal light, either. That can be an excuse and you shouldn't overlook your many friends here if you need to unload a little. That's another huge pressure valve to keeping the rifle put away.

Had to google this, SAD is pretty much unheard of in the land of sun and light (Oz)

All I can say is that Nanuq obviously knows what he is talking about and yes don't discount your many friends here if needed.

Ken

at least it hasn't done any harm by causing me to have seizures...aorin^R67f8quwb alng.ln ashdiofna...or other weird stuff...:)

OMG I laughed.

we've got lots of experience with that up here. When it gets bad enough it's called Cabin Fever and then there are rifles and Troopers involved.

OMG I laughed twice.

This is something, even as a Floridian, I suffer from. It's not so much the absense of the light as you may experience in the upper latitudes, but the percentage of time I am exposed to it.

What 'Nanuq' is to the Kodiak in lifestyle, I am to the American Alligator. I will work and lie in the heat when most will wilt like lettuce in the sun. I love it. Always have. It's why I moved here from New England. I've never been 'bed sick' since. It will fall on deaf ears to our Northern members but I think 40F is cold. I think 60F surf temperastures are cold. I choose not to surf, SCUBA or go boating when the morning low is 36F. We have that weather here in North Central FLA. I would always look forward to the holidays, but come March, I am not myself. I hate it. I always figured I was just a 'Summer' person. It wasn't until a few years ago I made the connection to the SAD tendency. I was just too much indoors. Like Bob suggests I would arrange activity and week-ends around all day outdoor activities; air shows, Indian Pow-Wows, camping, and bought a full wet-suit. All better now. I haven't brought the rifle out to the highway in years. :)

Let us know what the 'clinical study' here Mike. I would be quite interested.