When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

%$## Rusty 1680

Cats

Noticed this morning when i was categorizing my pics that my "new" MBW 1680 is starting to rust.

Are this particals left over from a rehaut polishing that are rusting or is it a crapy stainless steel quality ??.

Noticed ( but not pictured yet ) that it's also starting to rust at the 30 minutes part of the case.

newendlinks.jpg

I will post some close up of the rust later but it's clearly visable at the 40 minutes part of the case.

Is this normal ( i haven't seen it with all my other MBW and other "cheaper" rep's )and what has to be done.

There is a new crystal on it's was so we will have access to the rehaut in due time.

Thanks for reading and suggestiosn are welcome.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Interesting. Rust indicates the presence of water. If you were using the watch for regular diving in salt water, some of the parts could be subject to surface rusting- bezel parts come to mind.

But if you haven't been in the water, it's very unusual, to say the least. Maybe it is a quality control issue.

I would imagine it is the quality of the steel at the point of manufacture; impurities in the content form of iron. The steel, obviously from a Chinese source, originated Lord knows where. It is recycled more likely than not.

'lanikai' posted a topic not too long ago discussing the advantages or the hype of Rolex 904L that drew a lot of comment from members who work in metalurgy and associated industry. It was interesting.

I believe it were 'jmb' who planned on putting a well known watch case (MBW?) through scientific process to see what kind of 'crap' is really in there. Parts of Jimmy Hoffa no doubt.

I would imagine yes, the act of polishing the rehaut exposed the ferrous stuff and it rusted. In low grade stainless steel this is called 'bleeding'. Another polishing may remove the culprit altogether, but may raise others. I had a clasp rust once, I figured polishing it would be a ritual to keep the rust from coming back. After one polish with a Dremel, it never did. The 'vein' of ferrous particle(s) was buffed out altogether.

Perhaps if you repolish the rehaut but only concentrate on the affected areas you may resolve the issue.

Interesting.

Thanks guy's for your repsonse.

I never swim ( don't even shower with it )with this watch and yes the case was opened during the modding process.

I don't thinks that the crystal is glued because to my knowledge there was no glue used when the crystal was installed.

I can remember that Omega told me during the modding process that he had doubts about the quality of the steel and

that it felt softer/different then the usual MBW's he worked on.

As mentioned aerlier it's going back for moddifications and for a new gen 127 so then we will have a clearer view on the issue.

But this so called MBW keeps costing me a lot annoyance and money.

Carpe Diem

Cats

@ Rosnik , that questions is a definite yes if you ask me,

This is the new "MBW" with all the troubles that i got from Narikaa.

So you could call it a copie because it's definitely no improvement compared to the old one.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Demsey, I WISH I could do some analysis but the only "metalurgical" testing tool I have access to is a hardness tester!

Who was it then? 'Justasgood'? Crap, don't make me use 'Search'. For Christsakes.

@Hike,

Yeah? Well, I, uh, well, I got nothin' now, just better hope I don't log on drunk! Make a Marine cry. -_-

Cats, that looks maybe like some ferrous bits were stuck into the surface and they are what rusted...

Damn, Demsey! OK, gospel according to Webster...

Main Entry: Ludd·ite

Pronunciation: \ˈlə-ˌdīt\

Function: noun

Etymology: perhaps from Ned Ludd, 18th century Leicestershire workman who destroyed a knitting frame

Date: 1811

: one of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying laborsaving machinery as a protest; broadly : one who is opposed to especially technological change