When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Oil Bath

PeteM

Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on oil baths for SS bracelets

I have searched but cant find anything under the subject itself or possible derivitives.

pete you really don't have to immerse the entire bracelet, if it's a rep Rolex rep bracelet the tightness comes from the holes which the screws go into.. they are made just big enough to fit the pin.. the genuine model Oyster bracelets are over sized, ergo you get more play in the bracelet and it makes it more "slinky".. I use sewing machine oil.. called "all purpose 3 in one" in the US.. very thin consistency and it gets into the cracks..

The new vintage Rolex bracelets are made with a little more play in the hollow links ..IMO.. and are better than the previous bracelets on the vintage lines..

I've read threads where some say by immersing it it will feel like the genuine.. I doubt that .. it will get more pliable but not as slinky on the wrist as the real deal..

just oil the links with sewing machine oil, wipe it clean on the outside with a rag and your gtg.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC/L

• Like 1

Thanks Lani

Yes the reason I ask is for a rolex bracelet. I did read that it gives it a better look but I honestly didnt understand how 2 hours in vegetable oil and mag polish could help, well the oil anyway.

The claim was it would give 316L a 914 look.

Thanks again

Thanks Lani

Yes the reason I ask is for a rolex bracelet. I did read that it gives it a better look but I honestly didnt understand how 2 hours in vegetable oil and mag polish could help, well the oil anyway.

The claim was it would give 316L a 914 look.

Thanks again

if anything will help the sheen is a cape cod cloth.. aggressively used on the brushed finish.. but it is not only the 914 steel on the gen that shines it; the brush finish is of a finer thinner brush.. look at a gen and the rep will be obviously coarser... but a cape cod will definitely improve the sheen..

All your going to get soaking it in vegetable oil is...... a mess :lol:

AC/L

There's a couple of good posts about how to make your bracelet look and feel better.

A refinishing tutorial was posted by gioarmani here

A how-to lube your bracelet was posted by P4GTR here

Thanks

Cleaned my bracelet with a spray used to clean machinery in a industrial enviroment.

After that i used silicon spray. Tired tofind the dry chain lube but i could find it here in the Netherlands.

The bracelet feels soft and moves smoothly.

Carpe Diem

Cats

• 4 years later...

I've found that oil based lubes tend to grab dirt; they become abrasive pastes over time. The wax based chain lubes don't attract dirt and work great, but you have to polish a lot to get the exposed links clean after applying it.

Blimey..thats a resurrection.... :)

My 4 year old thread...

I have since learnt that a dry lube is best generally ... an oil bath isnt what its cracked up to be and no matter what method I have tried and believe me I have tried dozens from suggestions on the forums ;;;All of them do oil but certainly dont make the metal look any better or more gen like ;) and comparo pics just tend to show how dirty an OTB bracelet can be ;) !!

Aand if you want to make a Rolex rep with 316 SS look like a 904 SS then this aint going to help...but I did find out what does... :)

That is assuming your Rolex model is post 904 change over and in turn a 904L bracelet as Rolex did vary the roll out of them.. :)

As for gold plate ...yes mate Oil is generally non corrosive and any oil will be OK but just check the ingredients of it,,...and if its the overall look of the plate you want to bring back up then indeed you can also polish any gold plated steel regardless of quality if you use the correct colouring compound and that will bring it up the finish whether mirrored or brushed without reducing the plate itself... :)

• 3 months later...