When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this forum "free" or not?

AllergyDoc

We have a saying here as far as...."drunk no count" :lol: .. I can't say the OP was chivalrous in this post.. since most of it, I will take issue with, as far as those that are not supporters feeling un welcomed.. true I do gift parts to supporters.. maybe that has to change.. you want it .. you buy it, or see your dealer.. which is worse??, giving back to supporters.. or not giving at all..not donating watches to raffles.. going full on with .. "I make a profit" or break even mode...I try to think unconditionally... but cannot help to support those who support this community..... dunno..

whateva.. we still support all who are here.. supporter or not.. and we and I have I believe.

let your conscience guide you.. do what you feel is right..only when your in my shoes or I in yours.. will you "experience", what it takes to keep this place here.. I'm not saying I'm solely responsible.. on the contrary the whole community is .. that is my point.

but please, Don't use my name in the same context of GM.. that is offensive :rolleyes:

And lastly no one is keeping score as far as supporter to numbers of other sigs.. the bottom line is to pay the rent without having to "ask" for donations at a time when our usage is due and we have no funds..

supporter status used to be a lot more .. the donation was dropped drastically... so if anyone thinks that it's asking a lot.. it does help a little but raffles still need to be run.. there have been members that have donated 500 usd in one pop.. to help out..

so you all don't think I just talk the talk.. I will now donate 100 usd to the forum.. and anyone that would like to join me you are more than welcomed..I could do a lot with 100... but I'll give from the heart .. the bestest gifts of all..

As I have said in the past.. the forum has saved me more money than I could imagine in info and and tutorials.. reviews..but most importantly it has given me friends that have supported more than just watches..and for this I am truly grateful.

so donate if you can.. if not we will be here for you always..

Aloha and Malama Pono

Lani

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What really annoys me is that your animated-gif-fest actually causes my computer to lock up for a second. That should be banned! :p

:thumbsupsmileyanim: And here I thought it was just me, but it's true....every time I scroll through postings that have Corgi's animated gif, my computer freezes for a little bit. Then it scrolls down finally, and of course, I see your posting with your insanely animated gif! Don't get me wrong, it's really cool, but it's frustrating when every time it pops up I have to wait a while for it to load.

Not doing anything but verifying my statement.. from my PP account

Dec 13, 2009 Payment To Real Watch Guide (RWG) Completed Details -$100.00 USD

conversely, for those of us that do support this community .. please don't make "us" feel that we are committing a crime

as I have been taught.... "no excuses, no one wants to hear it"

spa,

I have only been here a year. I am ostensibly a noob. I remember you well from the old RWG, and was glad to receive your PM those weeks back. We were all part of the camaraderie that built the foundations of this board bringing it to the place it is now. A better place than the old RWG. Believe me. I know. Without remembering the specifics or exact words in posts, some avatars, as you scroll by, give you pause and evoke good feelings that are a large part why I participate. Your avatar is one that falls into this category. I do like 'watches' but have more a passion and fascination for 'people'. Especially drawn to the multicultural/international aspect here. This is where a man can truly become 'worldly', not by merely traveling the world.

I never contributed a single cent to the old RWG, didn't participate in raffles, and didn't order one of those questionably tasteful RWG Railmasters. Firstly, the old RWG was hosted on domestic servers, and was a base level package. We had bandwidth problems if folk didn't host pics on remote sites. It were of very little financial drain on the webmaster. He was a struggling student himself after all and the original RWG mission was aside 'trades', 'sales', even sourcing replica watches. The fact the trades existed at all was a 'service' to the membership for which we were all grateful. I do believe too he was compensated by hosting banners and ads on the seldom visited homepage that earned income to support the board. Reasonable. The forum there is gone, but the site still runs as do those banners and ads. Someone somewhere is being financially compensated. Not here. I believe banners were included here for a short while to aid in support, which was largely met in a negative way. Fine, but the bills still have to be paid. I begrudge no member who may bring donation and upgrade to the forefront of discussion. It is a tight rope and an obviously thankless endeavor. 'lanikai' 's signature graphic was raised here. It never dawned on me it could be misconstrued as any sort of bullying putsch for funds? I suppose if you were clueless of his role and contributions here on the site, looking at it in the abstract, you may come to that conclusion. But his contributions here, which are so many and so obvious, should put him beyond reproach. He has been singled out, or felt as though he had been to the point he had to defend himself and it's just wrong. It took me all of an hour after I finally registered here to realize his role here, which is large.

Secondly, and it seems slight and ridiculous now since the hobby and member participation has escalated to such a high bar, I had reviewed every single watch I had purchased on the old RWG. Dozens. Then, in RWG's relative infancy, those reviews, especially with regard to 'new' dealers, were worth more than their bandwidth in gold to the membership. That was my contribution in lieu of 'cash'. I actually used to hold in disdain those members who merely 'cut checks' to BLADE for homage to RWG rather than put in efforts to build homemade light boxes, spend hours gleaning infos on the El Primero Daytona movement's particulars, search for what 'Lemania copy' actually meant, tear down a 7750 or spend a Friday evening goofing off online. I have NO guilt about not contributing mere 'money'. The thought is actually vulgar. More important were people concerned for people, with regard to getting ripped off dealing in 'replica' on the internet certainly, but more so concern for them merely as 'people'. Literally; a purported suicide intervened, older gentlemen self admittedly on the feather edge of despair reaching out and finding solace, enthusiasm of people awkward in their way, but fitting in, you were there too, I'm sure you recall.

If you read this entire thread, I think I mentioned my membership upgrade was grata from the Admin. That is evidence of what is important to those guys; gestures of solidarity. That is what is most important. If 'Conerstone', 'Admin' and the others state "Everyone is Welcomed"; then they are. That's final. The rhetoric, bend and sway of the members group is well aside the policy of the webmaster and his team. Focus should be on administrative policy, not what may be inferred, actual or imaginary from and by 'members'. There is a disclaimer on the header of every page. It's there for a reason.

I have indeed made good on my Platinum membership and will continue to do so as long as I participate here. I will, not because I feel pressured to, it is expected, if it makes me 'in' with elitists or even because it is 'fair'. It's because I want to. Sincerely. The site in my opinion is deserved of it. It's almost a selfish gesture on my part to keep it going. I do it for me, as much as 'them'. I have fallen by the wayside with regard to replica. There is no way I could contribute, as I once did, to the benefit of up to date infos. It's just gotten too far out of reach in scope and my resources available.

'Platinum' is 3X the cost of 'Supporter'. If I am toeing the line for two other contributing members who feel they cannot afford the expenditure? Awesome. Come back, post, enjoy. I don't have to speak on behalf of the Admin. because they have already. As far as I'm concerned? You are welcome to any portion of my Platinum membership you please and screw all to those who may feel you don't deserve to be here. As I posted above I just don't know who 'those' would be. Since the start of this thread, which took me rather by surprise, I do not know who the 'victims' are. Those who Doc reported are posting on other boards of ill treatment with regard. I can only imagine other transgressions of said members led to the membership pointing out their ingratitude. You know, the few who kick in the door, ask in tones of demand "Who, What, Where, the Best?" And then disappear. If there is a post around here somewhere where a noob got jumped for a thin wallet? I would like to be linked to it. I would come alive.

Hope you continue to post.

I've noticed a lot of "trash talking" lately to members who don't financially contribute to the forum.

What's the "official" policy of this forum?

Can someone join and participate without ponying up?

How long can someone participate without donating, and not draw the ire of the board?

What's the purpose of this board? To steer members away from scam dealers, or to pay the bills?

My question ensues from me observing the treatment of non-paying members, like myself, who have been ridiculed lately for being "free loaders."

If someone doesn't pay up, should he move on?

:bicycle:

Trash talking can sometimes be quite entertaining...but obviously it has to be within certain very broad limits...no fun = fewer members or less activity on the board

I used to pay here and on the old sites but not so active now.....thus I am not objective when saying "it should be free"

Happy timekeeping

Just an old ax swinging Norwegian horologist

Gunnar:drinks:

beside I love Demsey and Nixon and rya and omni and dlgates even and that Alsakan nanugh........list goes on and on and on

happy timekeeping:wub:

I have indeed made good on my Platinum membership and will continue to do so as long as I participate here. I will, not because I feel pressured to, it is expected, if it makes me 'in' with elitists or even because it is 'fair'. It's because I want to. Sincerely. The site in my opinion is deserved of it. It's almost a selfish gesture on my part to keep it going. I do it for me, as much as 'them'.

And this to me, combined with Lani's references of finding a community here...sums it all up. We should contribute to RWG or ANY cause we believe in NOT because of pressure or wanting to be elitist...but because we believe in the cause, or see the value it generates. I don't question the financial need to maintain the board, as communication with the mod team here has proven to me of their integrity. They are not the ones asking for money to support the board other than having the option of upgraded membership. It's folks like Lani and myself who try to encourage folks to participate because we think people should be aware that this place does take resources to run it, and it's not a corporately sponsored, profit generating enterprise...so if you value it...take ownership of it either by engaged activity or money or both.

Very hard to follow the ever eloquent Demsey who summed it up so well but I do ask that we all remember one thing.....

We do need our VIP and Platinum members if we want to stay viable, sure there may be a fine line between getting that message out in an acceptable or forcible way, but the message does need to be kept to the forefront.

As stated time and again through this thread everyone is welcome and we are constantly looking at ways to get the noobs posting and thus becoming more a part of the community and as such the last thing we want to do is make them feel uncomfortable.

However 'the message does need to get out'

We owe so very much to Lanikai who has basically single handedly put us in a position where our Admin no longer has to post those pleading threads asking for donations, our core group of seniors (already plati members) no longer have to reach deeply into their pockets and your Admin team can concentrate on making this a better board instead of an endless search for revenue raising ideas.

The fact that he also spends so much time helping the newbies is just another feather in his cap.

So quite simply an honest answer to the OP's question "Is this forum free or not?" is 'No'....someone has to pay the server costs and that someone is our paid members.

The question is do people object to being reminded of this point in a forceful way or do they object to being reminded at all?

If you chose to support this forum or not is your choice so it is true that those that do shouldn't complain about those that don't but it is also true that those that don't have to accept paid members keep us afloat and are not just an elite old boys club.

Ken

Collecting watchess is becoming an increasingly expensive pursuit - all the more reason for you to consider booking your prized pieces in for a periodic check-up with a respected buth slightly eccentric watch doctor (like The Zigmeister)

Mechanical watches are powered by machines with moving parts that are subject to friction (dont start looking for Metaphor), which leads to wear. Wear, particularly excessive and unnecessary wear, has long been the bete noire of watch enthusiasts. Early detection of problems especially for rarer or cherished models (=old timers) is a front-line defence. Wear can ultimately cause a movement to arrive at a state of collapse - more a candidate for an horological nursing home than under the dial of a favourite piece.

If you felt your ticker miss a beat or two, would you simply press on to the point of reaching a state of collapse or would you seek professional intervention? Arguably, the same should apply to that little ticker on your wrist!

There's an old saying that goes,

Well, I hope it's free and continues to be so. If for no other reason than for me to check in a couple times a year or so.

I've moved on to gens, but still love to look at what's out there. Still have my old collection from the days of the "old" RWG. Kinda miss being able to change out watches every so often. But, I'm gonna be wearing the same watch for the next 20-30 years (unless our third child's a boy, then it's time to buy another!). Hope RWG is still there when I'm ready to get back in the rep game (or at least, I can check the forum and see that everyone's moving to some other site, lots can happen in 2-3 decades).

So...sorry I don't contribute money or reviews. Don't use the site enough to warrant $30/yr or whatever. No new reps coming in to review. Oh well.

Well, I hope it's free and continues to be so. If for no other reason than for me to check in a couple times a year or so.

I've moved on to gens, but still love to look at what's out there. Still have my old collection from the days of the "old" RWG. Kinda miss being able to change out watches every so often. But, I'm gonna be wearing the same watch for the next 20-30 years (unless our third child's a boy, then it's time to buy another!). Hope RWG is still there when I'm ready to get back in the rep game (or at least, I can check the forum and see that everyone's moving to some other site, lots can happen in 2-3 decades).

So...sorry I don't contribute money or reviews. Don't use the site enough to warrant $30/yr or whatever. No new reps coming in to review. Oh well.

Well If your not really around here enough to contribute funds you could bring some lunch. I will take a Bacon cheese burger and some chicken nugets, BBQ sauce on the side, thank you very much. That and a large Coke will do very nicely, thanks :) Mike

How much bandwidth does rwgforum.com use in a month?

Not sure, but I think I know where you may be going with this.

I've seen similar pleas on other sites. I've offered to host them gratis, and I've never been taken up on my offer. There's one site that would ask for donations, and I know exactly how much the guy was paying for hosting fees (I was his webhost at the time). In essence, donations more than exceeded any out-of-pocket expenses the site had.

RWG's situation may be different though. Overseas webhosts who'll thumb their nose at any takedown request often charge a pretty penny. I'd be happy to host the site, if it wasn't for the whole trademark infringement issue. Even if I'd ignore takedown requests, my upstream provider most definitely would not, and they'd simply shut the whole server down; shoot first and ask questions later. So, I don't know who their webhost is, but since they haven't been shutdown yet, I have to assume they're paying more than if it was your run-of-the-mill legit site.

Then there's the whole issue of the domain name itself. Even if the site's hosted elsewhere, domains often are taken over. Not sure if RWG is doing anything special to protect the domain, what that costs, etc.

Just askin'...

Greg, admin of RWG1.1, has posted several times regarding the finances of that board. Sort of like a "state-of-the-state" thread. We know about how much money it takes to run the board, and it's not very much. That board has a sales section and dealers, so it has all the same risks. The software doesn't seem to be as sophisticated as this software is, but that's just software, a one-time expense.

Have finances been openly discussed here? Can someone point me to a thread?

We have a saying here as far as...."drunk no count" :lol: .. I can't say the OP was chivalrous in this post.. since most of it, I will take issue with, as far as those that are not supporters feeling un welcomed.. true I do gift parts to supporters.. maybe that has to change.. you want it .. you buy it, or see your dealer.. which is worse??, giving back to supporters.. or not giving at all..not donating watches to raffles.. going full on with .. "I make a profit" or break even mode...I try to think unconditionally... but cannot help to support those who support this community..... dunno..

whateva.. we still support all who are here.. supporter or not.. and we and I have I believe.

let your conscience guide you.. do what you feel is right..only when your in my shoes or I in yours.. will you "experience", what it takes to keep this place here.. I'm not saying I'm solely responsible.. on the contrary the whole community is .. that is my point.

but please, Don't use my name in the same context of GM.. that is offensive :rolleyes:

And lastly no one is keeping score as far as supporter to numbers of other sigs.. the bottom line is to pay the rent without having to "ask" for donations at a time when our usage is due and we have no funds..

supporter status used to be a lot more .. the donation was dropped drastically... so if anyone thinks that it's asking a lot.. it does help a little but raffles still need to be run.. there have been members that have donated 500 usd in one pop.. to help out..

so you all don't think I just talk the talk.. I will now donate 100 usd to the forum.. and anyone that would like to join me you are more than welcomed..I could do a lot with 100... but I'll give from the heart .. the bestest gifts of all..

As I have said in the past.. the forum has saved me more money than I could imagine in info and and tutorials.. reviews..but most importantly it has given me friends that have supported more than just watches..and for this I am truly grateful.

so donate if you can.. if not we will be here for you always..

Aloha and Malama Pono

Lani

4,000 word posts... Pictures better than gen factory ad shoots...

RobbieG? Is that you?!! :wub:

Just askin'...

Greg, admin of RWG1.1, has posted several times regarding the finances of that board. Sort of like a "state-of-the-state" thread. We know about how much money it takes to run the board, and it's not very much. That board has a sales section and dealers, so it has all the same risks. The software doesn't seem to be as sophisticated as this software is, but that's just software, a one-time expense.

Have finances been openly discussed here? Can someone point me to a thread?

Crap, had a huge post made, then it crapped out. Oh well.

Anyways, does anyone know what webhost the other site used? Was it a domestic host? If so then yeah it'd be cheaper, but he got lucky the site didn't get taken down.

Not sure what forum software the site uses here. If it's a pay version, then most likely there's either a high lifetime license, or a yearly license that can be purchased. You can probably keep using the forum even after the year's up, but if you want updates, gotta pony up the cash. Trust me, you don't want to be running an out of date forum with known security exploits.

Then there's the question of whether the admin does all the upkeep himself, or hires someone else to do it. It costs me nothing to update my forum software as I do it myself. I also know what I charge others.

I agree it would be nice to see exactly how much it costs to run the site, especially if members are being asked for donations. Now if money is raised by people purchasing upgraded memberships (which include special privileges such as increased PM space, special forums, etc.) then I'd say it's none of our concern.

CCI Hosting is the leader in Offshore Anonymous Hosting services since 2002. We offer shared hosting, vps, dedicated server and server colocation from our fully owned facility in Panama. Our fully redundant network is connected to major International Tier 1 service providers using a well engenierred Cisco Network. Panama's Telecommunication Infrastructure, Privacy Advantages and Financial Benefits offer a great option for people who are doing business over the Internet.

All Web Hosting plans include:

cPanel or Plesk Control Panels

Apache or Litespeed Web Servers

Servers with Raid-1 data redundancy

24x7 Tech Support

Daily System Backup

Anonymous Hosting Service

Server Location Panama

99.9% Network Uptime Guarantee

$5/mo

Twotones 18yr old single malt Scotch habit: $513/mo.

:pardon::drinks:

Anyways, does anyone know what webhost the other site used? Was it a domestic host? If so then yeah it'd be cheaper, but he got lucky the site didn't get taken down.

Not sure what forum software the site uses here.

Here's something Greg posted, shortly after he moved to a new host:

As you know, the move was forced upon us a couple of months earlier than I'd hoped (I was planning early next year). The end cost of the new server to the board is going to be around $100 per month, which is a little under 4 times what we were paying up until last week. I could have gone for something a little cheaper, but frankly I didn't think it was worth it. Better that we are hosted on a machine that leaves us plenty of room to expand - we should be secure here for a long while. For what it's worth, we're using the same providers as RWI.

Probably some guys will know who RWI uses.

Software: "Powered By IP.Board 2.3.6

CCI Hosting is the leader in Offshore Anonymous Hosting services since 2002. We offer shared hosting, vps, dedicated server and server colocation from our fully owned facility in Panama. Our fully redundant network is connected to major International Tier 1 service providers using a well engenierred Cisco Network. Panama's Telecommunication Infrastructure, Privacy Advantages and Financial Benefits offer a great option for people who are doing business over the Internet.

Is that who RWG is using? Did some detective work, looks like this "might" be the main provider: http://www.worldstream.nl/

Now, someone else might have a server with them, and be renting space on it to RWG. I have no idea.

Also, I double-checked and IPB no longer offers a lifetime license (good thing I already have mine). That $150 is the initial fee and includes six months of updates. Additional six month increments can be purchased for $25.