When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tipping the modders

seafoam

So I've had a few watches in the hands of Mr. Vac (both lume and service) and he does excellent work. I am on Speedy's (RG) list of projects for a crown/tube swap. Is it proper etiquette throw in a couple extra dollars for the effort? Modders feel free to chime in. And maybe this question needn't be asked, i dont know but i thought i'd throw it out there for s.n.g. :pardon:

seafoam

Interesting question.

I am prone to think that you are paying a professional for professional work, at prices set by the pro.

I am going to say no. When was the last time you tipped your Doctor?

However, it is the Holiday season, so little seasonal cheer / gift might not be a bad idea.

Tipping is such an "American" concept. Especially at the rate at which we tip. It is kind of unfortunate it has become actual salary/income for many -vs- truly, an in kind gesture for above and beyond service.

Interesting question.

I am prone to think that you are paying a professional for professional work, at prices set by the pro.

I am going to say no. When was the last time you tipped your Doctor?

However, it is the Holiday season, so little seasonal cheer / gift might not be a bad idea.

Interesting point RoninQ. Prices are set where they are for a reason. I would tend to agree. I also agree with you chronoluvvv. It's apples and oranges. Still not convinced either way though. Any other thoughts RWG?

An interesting question...

To quote Mr.Pink: (my own situation) "I used to work minimum-wage: and when I did, I didn't have a job society deemed tip-worthy..."

People often tip their barbers, it's not uncommon for people to tip their tattoo artists. Not driving, I can't really answer this point, but I'll throw it into the mix as well: If someone was to take their car to a privately owned mechanic, would they tip them for their work?

I would argue that barbers and tattoo artists are skilled professionals providing a service, often at a considerable price, but it is not unusual for them to be tipped...

Good points TJ,

It seems we tip more often for non-mechanical/tangible services -or- Body Services: Waitresses, Taxi, Door Man, Massage, Tattoo, Hooker, etc.

We rarely tip for mechanical services: Auto Repair, Computer Service, Plumber, etc.... Watch Repair?????

Good points TJ,

It seems we tip more often for non-mechanical/tangible services -or- Body Services: Waitresses, Taxi, Door Man, Massage, Tattoo, Hooker, etc.

We rarely tip for mechanical services: Auto Repair, Computer Service, Plumber, etc.... Watch Repair?????

It looks like you've defined the criteria for the 'tip-worthy' as being the tangible services :) As above, not being a driver, I didn't know if it was common for people to tip an independant mechanic. I would agree that one would not tip a doctor, just as one would likely not tip an attourney. I guess the defining criteria is not the level of skill or professionalism involved, but the nature or type of service being carried out :)

Tip~ping .. is not a city in China :rofl:

:lol::tu:

An interesting question...

To quote Mr.Pink: (my own situation) "I used to work minimum-wage: and when I did, I didn't have a job society deemed tip-worthy..."

People often tip their barbers, it's not uncommon for people to tip their tattoo artists. Not driving, I can't really answer this point, but I'll throw it into the mix as well: If someone was to take their car to a privately owned mechanic, would they tip them for their work?

I would argue that barbers and tattoo artists are skilled professionals providing a service, often at a considerable price, but it is not unusual for them to be tipped...

Love the reference TeeJay:rofl:. And good points.

Good points TJ,

HOOKERS...Did you say HOOKERS? OK I think I get It. I guess you would tell a hooker to " KEEP THE TIP" :thumbsupsmileyanim: