When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam Eigiziano

Finepics

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@rmcsherry....now i want it even more....

Crazy. Actually, I'd love one - I think it's more of a 'collectors' item than an everyday watch. Although looking at that picture again, it looks like the guy hasn't had a decent meal in months so the watch probably looks bigger than it really is!

The Egaziano is 66mm!

50 where made for the Egyptian Navy. Interestingly Officine Panerai made A 68x68mm version with A Bezel safety (That looked like the Crown Guard) For The Israeli Navy!

The Egiziano is much more estethical in Design then the Modern Submersibles, I don't know why but in the 20's 30's 40's & 50's Designers had better insperation and skills, These days They only 'restyle' Classics, with A disatifactory result!

The Egaziano is 66mm!

50 where made for the Egyptian Navy. Interestingly Officine Panerai made A 68x68mm version with A Bezel safety (That looked like the Crown Guard) For The Israeli Navy!

The Egiziano is much more estethical in Design then the Modern Submersibles, I don't know why but in the 20's 30's 40's & 50's Designers had better insperation and skills, These days They only 'restyle' Classics, with A disatifactory result!

I guess then they were original because they were designing from scratch...

126802-20191.jpg

• 1 year later...
did anyone create a rep

off course with the original size :D

Nope, they would be of no use other than to PAM-enthusiast scuba divers -- quite small as a buying target, IMHO. :(

But, if you really like its look, there is a hommage flying out there. There was a thread about it.

I was very serious about getting this watch repped a few months ago. I had the factories all lined up and the investment money too. The problem is not the case, rotating bezel, size or any other cosmetic thing. The biggest problem and the one that shut down the project for me was the movement. The spacing for the 6497 is incorrect and would make it look awful to how it is supposed to look. The original movement is the only movement that will "work" in this configuration.

I believe DSN was going to rep this model as well, but that was his pitfall too. The movements available will not give the correct spacing for the subdial.

My only option was to freeze the second hand, but no one really liked that idea.

I was very serious about getting this watch repped a few months ago. I had the factories all lined up and the investment money too. The problem is not the case, rotating bezel, size or any other cosmetic thing. The biggest problem and the one that shut down the project for me was the movement. The spacing for the 6497 is incorrect and would make it look awful to how it is supposed to look. The original movement is the only movement that will "work" in this configuration.

I believe DSN was going to rep this model as well, but that was his pitfall too. The movements available will not give the correct spacing for the subdial.

My only option was to freeze the second hand, but no one really liked that idea.

Uhm... How much the distance between the central pinion and the second hand pinion is, exactly, tootall?

Uhm... How much the distance between the central pinion and the second hand pinion is, exactly, tootall?

Here is Davidsen's response to the question:

That GPF is a very interesting model to rep indeed.

Currently Only the RXW of Japan is making a homage but they are very afraid to put a Panerai CG

on it due to possiblity of a lawsuit.Also movt is a unitas 6497.

From a manufacturer point of view the most difficult part is geting an accurate movt for that model.

The correct distance of sub dial from centre pin is around 8.2mm.

Current 6497 sub dial distance (10.2mm) from centre pin which is a bit too far.

Another option is using the asian 7750 b1 movt which has a 8.25 mm sub dial distance indeed but

it is an automatic movt.Not a hand winding movt like the Gen.

Meanwhile the original siwss 8 days angelus winding movt is an ideal movt to use but that movt is just impposisble for us to buy from Swiss plus it is very expnesive movt to use.

Once there is a CN made approiate movt available in the market,I am very interested in repping this

model.

Anyone have any good suggestion of movts will be wellcome.

So you can see he came to same conclusion as I did. The automatic is really the only option right now. If you can find another movement that would work I know for a fact, DSN would build it.

Here is Davidsen's response to the question:

The correct distance of sub dial from centre pin is around 8.2mm.

Current 6497 sub dial distance (10.2mm) from centre pin which is a bit too far.

Well, maybe we can have a couple good news.

First:

Honestly, I don't know where and how Davidsen took that 8.2mm measure from:

measureskh5.png

It can be easily seen that the center pin - subdial pin distance is about 10.5mm, i.e. decently close with the 10.2mm of the 6497.

(It's not by chance that, as a matter of fact, the 6497 is exactly the movement used in the rep of another Angelus PAM, the 203).

Second (and even better):

I happen to have an 8-day movement by Normis, Swiss, that is about 43mm diameter and with a center pin - subdial pin distance of about 10.5mm.

On those measures, that movement looks a perfect fit to our needs.

I might give it to Davidsen, if he is able to rep it and you think this can let this project run...

Well, maybe we can have a couple good news.First:Honestly, I don't know where and how Davidsen took that 8.2mm measure from:measureskh5.pngIt can be easily seen that the center pin - subdial pin distance is about 10.5mm, i.e. decently close with the 10.2mm of the 6497.(It's not by chance that, as a matter of fact, the 6497 is exactly the movement used in the rep of another Angelus PAM, the 203).Second (and even better):I happen to have an 8-day movement by Normis, Swiss, that is about 43mm diameter and with a center pin - subdial pin distance of about 10.5mm.On those measures, that movement looks a perfect fit to our needs.I might give it to Davidsen, if he is able to rep it and you think this can let this project run...
Using a low-res picture with a slight perspective is a little misleading. I don't know where Davidsen got his 8.2mm measurement, but he is right; the 4 Angelus Calibre 240 movements in front of me all have 8.2mm spacing to the subdial - the 2mm makes a big difference on a 39mm dial! I think if a movement with the correct spacing (even with incorrect functionality) can be found, it would be worthwhile using - then any hard-core modders out there can put the right movement in it! Unless, of course the Chinese can make a decent Angelus movement copy (personally I wouldn't like to see this though).

Using a low-res picture with a slight perspective is a little misleading. I don't know where Davidsen got his 8.2mm measurement, but he is right; the 4 Angelus Calibre 240 movements in front of me all have 8.2mm spacing to the subdial - the 2mm makes a big difference on a 39mm dial! I think if a movement with the correct spacing (even with incorrect functionality) can be found, it would be worthwhile using - then any hard-core modders out there can put the right movement in it! Unless, of course the Chinese can make a decent Angelus movement copy (personally I wouldn't like to see this though).

I stopped reading at the bold part!! LOL 4 Angelus movements??? How?

Anyways, yeah the picture is off. The correct spacing is 8.2mm. Find a movement, it will be repped. End of discussion.

4 SF 240?!?

:notworthy:

Anyway...

first of all let me say that I have no interest in defending what I said, all that I can gain from it is just to give away a movement.

That said, I surely agree that a low-res picture with a slight (very slight, IMO) perspective can be misleading.

Not up to a 2mm difference, though!

Maybe that OP felt 8mm as being too close to the center pinion, so they added a couple transfer gears to bring the subdial a little outwards?

What we actually need is not a movement repping the pin-pin distance of the Angelus 240, it rather is a movement repping the pin-pin distance of the Egiziano's dial ( they are not necessarily the same, as I just pointed out).

And a movement able to do so without any need for transfer gears would be an added bonus, I think.

Anyway, if you are not on the same advice as mine, no problem at all. Offer retired. Friends as before. :)