When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 088 GMT is done :)

chefcook

Hello everybody,

I just finished my GMT, a 088 and I am very happy with the result:

6i8zmr.jpg

2epj1mu.jpg

8yxget.jpg

29esshy.jpg

zlbw2w.jpg

2190y0m.jpg

hvwke8.jpg

iyq7nl.jpg

088 with her manual wind sister 005:

27zhelj.jpg

Hijacks wonderful lume work (picture just resized! Exposure to lamp ca 5 seconds):

262bmtz.jpg

Some facts:

-Ultimate crystal

-Ultimate case back

-standard cartel case

-Leo Datewheel

-Little Hero crown guard (I polished it in long nights...)

-DSN dial for it's gen like colour

-hands are a combination of standard cartel and DSN

-Relumed by Hijack

-BOB croc strap

Last thing to change is the band. Maybe I'll find a gen croc strap for deployant in the correct colour when my funds have grown again...

Many thanks to Hijack - his service and lume work are more than good :) The watch glows like a torch in the dark :)

Little Hero is also a pleasure to deal with. I never experienced so damn fast shipping before and his crown guard is worth every penny.

EDIT: Pictures updated.

Edited by chefcook

Lovely job mate as I have the gen of this I can really appreciate how close you have got it. Wear it well mate.

@Drulee= What complaints have there been about LH, I just had PM from him with B details for purchase not so sure now with your comment.

I started working on movements on some 6497s. On those movements everything is quite big, it does not have many parts, they are cheap and pretty easy to work on. After being able to fully service a Unitas I took the next step with ome 2836s from the typical Rolex reps. And now this was the first 7750...But as said before, the non-chrono 7750 is pretty easy to work on compared to the normal chrono 7750.

Drulee: About a month ago. Communication was nice, though a bit slow, but shipping and the CG itself were impressive.

Projectologist: A pre A 009. I allready have a T48 crown, a FGD dial and a set of hands here. A DSN case (SS, not PVD) is on its way. I'll ask the Zigmeister to coat it with his OEM like PVD. Should turn out great :)

Maybe he is just tired of dealing with RG members :D But a few over there have been waiting to hear back from him for a week or more (I finally gave up trying myself). Others have complained about waiting for parts, a week or more after they'd paid him (for him to have them, not for delivery). Then there was the problem a member had trying to return a defective dial...

Who knows, it may have just been a busy time for him (in his non-rep life :) )

I am really starting to like the DSN 088 dial. Looks much better with the correct sub-dial silver color. I think I will just go with DSN rather than ultimate dial. After the relume should look great.

Personally I think the subdial issue is six of one and half dozen of the other, having had the ultimate in my hand and comparing with my gen the sub is definitely too dark but with most hand movements doesnt notice whereas the DSN looks too silver to me from the pics I have seen. To me the biggest tell from a distance is the way the blue from the AR on the cyclops reflects the light. Not so much the sub dial.

@drulee, thanks I will check out when RG is back up

Personally I think the subdial issue is six of one and half dozen of the other, having had the ultimate in my hand and comparing with my gen the sub is definitely too dark but with most hand movements doesnt notice whereas the DSN looks too silver to me from the pics I have seen. To me the biggest tell from a distance is the way the blue from the AR on the cyclops reflects the light. Not so much the sub dial.

@drulee, thanks I will check out when RG is back up

Agree on your observation. That's why I am still deciding between the two dials. Its tough as neither were that great compared to the gen dial. Most people I spoke to would prefer the cartel ultimate dial (more accurate overall) vs some for the DSN dial because of the sub-dial coloring. The AR on my ultimate crystal is not a concern as its very subtle and hardly any blue tint.

Edited by R_Squared

I chose the DSN dial over the ultimate dial because the flaws of the DSN dial are marginal compared to its pros over the cartel dial.

The dark subdial on the cartel 088 is a give away from 10ft distance. Other than its wrong colour the print quality of all three ultimate dials I have seen so far was more than bad. Chipped paint around the sub dial and crooked lume markers on the 24h ring is something I don't expect from a watch in this price range.

Colour and fonts are a very good to perfect match on DSNs dial. The only visible flaw IMO is the beveled date window on DSNs dial, but that is not very obvious.

I chose the DSN dial over the ultimate dial because the flaws of the DSN dial are marginal compared to its pros over the cartel dial.

The dark subdial on the cartel 088 is a give away from 10ft distance. Other than its wrong colour the print quality of all three ultimate dials I have seen so far was more than bad. Chipped paint around the sub dial and crooked lume markers on the 24h ring is something I don't expect from a watch in this price range.

Colour and fonts are a very good to perfect match on DSNs dial. The only visible flaw IMO is the beveled date window on DSNs dial, but that is not very obvious.

I must of had a different ultimate to the one you refer to above because I really cant agree with your comments on the subdial, as I say I had them both next to each other. By the same arguement I would say the same about the DSN sub dial at ten feet.

Thinking about it what I am trying say is, forget the photos. when the Ultimate is on your wrist that darkness isnt as obvious compared to the gen as the side by side photos would make you believe. Looking in a mirror at the watches on your wrist what you really notice as you move your arm about is the blue tint of the ultimate crystal. The colour of the sub is a matter of the light so if your looking at it from a distance your sort of saying 'is it or isnt it a gen' when the blue catches the light your saying no its not. Assuming you know about that in the first place and generally few do.

The chip paint and crooked markers would be a QC consistency matter as I said this wasnt the case with the ultimate I had.