When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7750 removing the auto winding mechanism - how hard?

gplracer

Seasons Greetings!!!

I have an a DW 7750 based 6263 Daytona. Originally there was something wrong with the movement so I had it replaced. I know it is best to remove the auto winding gears so it can be wound frequently without wear. How hard is this to do and is there a tutorial anywhere? Thanks!!!

Not sure where you got that info from...your wording is a little vague; if you're referring to removing the rotor and only manually winding it, very bad choice. The A7750s have chintzy gears and shred easily when winding. It has been recommended repeatedly to wind them as little as possible for that reason.

My understanding is that the manual winding is bad because it can put excessive wear on the auto winding gears which then put metal shavings in the case. (not good) By removing the auto winding gears most of this problem is removed. Basically I will have a A7750 on the way to me very soon because the person that I got it from is replacing it. I figure the auto winding gears need to come out. The rotor has to be removed so the low profile case back will fit. That means manual winding is the only option.

Not sure where you got that info from...your wording is a little vague; if you're referring to removing the rotor and only manually winding it, very bad choice. The A7750s have chintzy gears and shred easily when winding. It has been recommended repeatedly to wind them as little as possible for that reason.

+100

The primary purpose in removing the auto-wind gears is to produce a faux manual-wind movement as was used in vintage 62xx Daytonas. The only damage (from frequent manual winding) occurs to the auto-wind components themselves & this is eliminated once the auto-wind function is disabled. Read this.

I'm glad you posted this Freddy. I was always under the impression that once the winding gears were removed it was exactly the same as a 7760 movement, which was built to be manual wind. Isn't that correct?

I was always under the impression that once the winding gears were removed it was exactly the same as a 7760 movement, which was built to be manual wind. Isn't that correct?

Besides the lack of auto-wind module, I believe the 7760 has only 17 jewels (to the 7750's 24) & uses a slightly different pillar plate (same dimensions, but excludes the fittings for an auto-wind module), but is otherwise the same. Watchtime did an in-depth exposé on the Valjoux 7750 in 2008 (I do not remember the specific issue) that is worth having if you can locate copy.

Is the removal of the auto winding gears easy or something left to a watchmaker? Any tutorials?

It is very easy if you have the tools & competence to remove the movement from the case & then remove & disassemble the auto-wind module (3 screws). Otherwise, I would definitely leave this to a competent watchsmith, who should be able to complete the work in a matter of minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the impression that Freddy indicates it's kinda "fiddly" getting all of the bits lined back up and getting the bridge back on after removing it and Marty sez, "No guts, no glory!"