When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I have a GMT II Ceramic on the way ...

Martyd3

Should have gone for the same watch, but with a reliable Swiss ETA movement, as for some crazy reason the modified Asian clone "3186" costs the same price as the real deal Swiss ETA? :blink::bangin:

The modified Asian clones are even less reliable than the stock Asian clones, plus the stock clones in the same watch would be a lot less $$$. The dealers must make FAT profit on these modified Asian clone watches....

I really hope your watch arrives and runs problem free B)

I agree 100% with Mickey. Some members have had good luck with the Asian clones, others have been DOA and/or developed big problems in a short tiime. The genuine ETA 2836 is not perfect by a long shot, as it is a "bastardized" movement as well. the GMT module is an add on. The positive part is you can get the ETA movement serviced, it's much better made, and parts are readily available. You aren't going to fool anyone with the "Clone" movement. Anyone familiar with genuine Rolex movements can tell it's a fake from yards away. For the life of me, I can't see how they are getting away with selling these movements for the same price as genuine ETA.

Just my Dos Centavos

Arthur

I would recommend to anybody getting the "decorated" movement to remove the decorations or at the least make sure the screw is tight! I found the screw attaching the faux bridge to be loose and the little cover over the rotor screw is affixed with double-stick tape.

I did order it with the "gen" ETA movement. I guess that is a crap shoot too, but I figured it was definitely better than the Asian clone with the Rolex bridges, which seems to have many problems.

I had ordered an Aquaracer 500m, but after pulling the trigger, realized that the watch had some issues. The biggest flaw is with the bezel. It is cast incorrectly. The "10" on the bezel is not centered correctly. It is closer to the "5" than the "15." This was confirmed by someone on Repgeek that owns the watch. That would have driven me The gen is also AR coated, where the rep is not. Josh incorrectly states on his website that the gen does not have AR.

http://www.perfect-h...824-p-8012.html

Josh's customer service was great as it always is. He was very patient in letting me pick out another watch.

Marty

Just exactly how did you get the cyclops off in one piece? I've read about soaking in acetone, smacking it off with a wood chisel, etc. and also read from others that the same techniques didn't work for them...

Ubi, you should post your full collection shot one of these days. You have so many amazing frankens. :)

Ceramic GMT II is a nice rep. Not too crazy about the watch itself, but I briefly owned it too.

1a.jpg

Ubi, you should post your full collection shot one of these days. You have so many amazing frankens. :)

Sad to say, but it sounds like the collection underwent a bit of a shearing recently. :cry2:

Ceramic GMT II is a nice rep. Not too crazy about the watch itself, but I briefly owned it too.

The GMTIIC (along with the Daytona) is the only modern Rolex I would wear. Their current lineup has become too bloated & blingy for my taste. Sort of a high end bauble for Johnson's Great Society. Even the GMTIIC is only just wearable (Rolex would do well to brush their GMT & Daytona bracelets & return them to their sporting roots).

Yes, it's definitely the nicest of modern Rolex (if you only count the very latest upgrades).

YMII is a joke, the new TT Sub is a serious downgrade (the blue dial isn't even half as beautiful as the old one), DDII was disappointing... and the DeepSea is simply awful.

I don't like the fat lug models at all.

Wonder how they're going to ruin Explorer II and Daytona... time will tell...

Just exactly how did you get the cyclops off in one piece? I've read about soaking in acetone, smacking it off with a wood chisel, etc. and also read from others that the same techniques didn't work for them...

Like Ubi say's with heat.. I use my cigar torch.. I had a small box with paper towels inside to "catch the mag .. it's like a projectile with the heat from the torch.. I'll post up pics (how to) when I remove the genuine mag from my gen GMTII crystal .. it has a chip in the crystal so I replace it.. saved the damaged crystal for the mag to be used on the GMTIIC..

Sad to say, but it sounds like the collection underwent a bit of a shearing recently. :cry2:

Indeed; I had to part with a few of my watches for financial obligations that I really didn't want to dip into the savings account for :( I try to keep around 10 watches in the collection, and so far it's held steady right at 10. But some pieces have moved on...

I know a review without pics is worthless, but I wanted to say that this thing is at least 318L steel!!! good.gif

All kidding aside, the steel does look to be a little brighter and more like gen like. This is the second GMT ceramic that I have owned. Everything about this watch seems better. It screams quality. The bezel insert is very nice and recessed just right. The numbers are a brighter silver and seem to be better defined. The bezel has a nice gen like click and the case and bracelet are excellent. The "Rolex" engraving on the rehault is much more subtle, not painted black and looks correct (yes, it is still off at 9, but who is going to notice that?). The crown on the crystal disappears if you are not looking for it and I am not sure about this, but there looks to be some AR on the cyclops. The markings on the clasp looks to be engraved or if they are laser etched, the quality of the etching is much better. I got the "gen" ETA movement, which is running strong and the 24 hr hand is tracking correctly. This is the incorrect hand stack, which will always be a "tell" if you are looking for it, but I would prefer the reliability (knock on wood) of this model. The date alignment is about perfect and the crown and tube feel very gen like (the best I have seen on a rep for sure). There were no QC issues at all, except for a bulky bracelet screw, which was easily fixed. Josh really delivered on this one!

Pic to follow this evening ...

Thanks.

Marty