When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interesting Discussion in Gen forum

Utheman

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I am aware RFID chips can be easily duplicated, it is only a wireless Barcode after all. The problem is there is virtually no anti counterfeiting measure that cannot be circumvented, that's why we still see fake banknotes. There is a lag between implementing anti counterfeit measures and them being duplicated, but it is not huge and probably not worth the investment.

There will always be replicators, just like there will always be software designers making viruses for PC's. As long as there is a market for it, they will exist. They will always catch up to any and all forms of anti-counterfeiting system that the manufacturers come up with too. It may take some time, but they will do it. :D

The funny thing is that for all the ranting and raving the members did suggest a decent simple solution - putting in a technology solution like a micro-chip. Rolex is making enough money that they could afford this. I know people can always take watches apart but it would certainly slow down runs of a thousand reps. Alternatively they could move to open case backs or actually make unique movements.

I think this would only be a minor speed bump. As mentioned if they went RFID based, that is easy. Or, even the appearance of the tech since NONE of us would go to an AD w/rep or try and Scam someone-- where the tech would actually be read. :brow:. Having or not having the tech/chip in a rep will be like not having fake papers and a box. Do we really care if the dial/case/etc. is perfect?

I do agree with you on the open case back. That would be interesting.

Not sure about the AD's mentioned here, but my Rolex AD has full time watchsmiths, and even offers "Authentication Services" for $35.

Guys, we need to realize that there are gen and rep owners on this site and I am one of them. I own a Gen Sea Dweller and was a member of TRF for a long time. I never discussed my hobby of reps there but it is certainly possible to be a member of both forums. The key is to be able to separate the Rep stuff on that forum.

We know the most about the differences of the reps from gens because we want our reps to be as close to gen as possible. We know the tiny details on what it needs to look like.

WHat I find funny is that these members on TRF think they can some how make a dent in the rep world...very naiive in my opinion.

They will never be able to make a dent on it unless Rolex and other manufactuers do something to easily tell gen from rep. As we discussed here, that is highly unlikely.

In any case, this is not a us versus them discussion. We all appreciate fine watches.

Edited by WatchnRoll

Guys, we need to realize that there are gen and rep owners on this site and I am one of them.

We know the most about the differences of the reps from gens because we want our reps to be as close to gen as possible. We know the tiny details on what it needs to look like.

WHat I find funny is that these members on TRF think they can some how make a dent in the rep world...very naiive in my opinion.

Many of us own both, I think we realize it but they don't, hence the "better than you" attitude. Go's with the territory of that particular brand though. Naiive is exactly what it is. The information is here for anyone that wants to look for it. This whole high level alert they have over a DSSD tells me they simply don't care enough to seek out the information, or want to turn a blind eye. Ignorance is bliss. Members here (again, most owning both gen and rep) seem to appreciate watches as a whole, in such a different way.

I actually feel sorry for them, and think it is ridiculous to mock them for their lack of knowledge. You don't have to know the ins and outs of dial fonts to appreciate owning a Gen Rolex. We on the other hand, have to know these details as it makes all the difference between a fake you can spot at 10 yards or one you can wear with confidence in most environments. It makes us anal but knowledgeable.

If I had paid a lot of money for a gen, I wouldn't be too happy if $300 fakes were knocking hell out of the market. Just like I'm not happy the way programmers from India will work for the smell of a curried rag, thus undercutting my profession. As yet they haven't got their act together and they don't have the requisite experience, but it will happen, and of course China is standing in the background ready to undercut India, the bowl of rice being cheaper than the proverbial curried rag!

As I have said before, a similar thing happened in the guitar market with Japan producing excellent Gibson/Fender copies by the mid 70s, sometimes actually better quality than the guitars they were copying. Since then manufacturing has moved via India, Indonesia, Korea and now China, who are producing the best and cheapest fakes of them all. Fender and Gibson have partially combatted this by producing Epiphone and Squier models in the Far East. It is long past time the companies threatened by fakes like Rolex did the same thing. If Rolex invested in a good quality mass market rep, let's call it Polex, manufactured in China, for a start the Chinese government would be much more likely to clamp down on the fakes, Rolex would be making more profit and providing an upgrade path from Polex to Rolex, similar to what they tried to do with Tudor though Tudor was too expensive for the mass market.

Can you imagine buying a gen Rolex product and seeing that all too famous little gold foil sticker on the box that says "made in China" :lol: . I have always said that the rep industry tends to help the gen industry in 2 ways; a.many buy a rep to "test drive it" and eventually liking it enough to spring for the gen, a watch they may not have bought otherwise, and b.the gen manufacturers can rightfully say "the only way to ensure you get the read deal is to buy it new from one of our AD's". Better and better reps will continue to make used on-line and grey market purchases to be a risky proposition. Although we here will always be able to tell the difference between rep and gen, we are the ultimate in the educated watch consumer :thumbsupsmileyanim: .

Cheers B)

Members here (again, most owning both gen and rep) seem to appreciate watches as a whole, in such a different way.

i think this is the key -- appreciating a watch for what it is -- rep or gen. there are some reps that (even as a genuine owner; sometimes especially as a genuine owner) absolutely blow the mind as far as quality goes. speaking of which, i wonder how much longer i can hold out before picking up one of these ultimate DSSDs :lol:

we've come a long way, that much is for certain :victory:

deltatahoe

i think this is the key -- appreciating a watch for what it is -- rep or gen. there are some reps that (even as a genuine owner; sometimes especially as a genuine owner) absolutely blow the mind as far as quality goes. speaking of which, i wonder how much longer i can hold out before picking up one of these ultimate DSSDs :lol:

we've come a long way, that much is for certain :victory:

deltatahoe

+1

Absolutely spot on :)

Many of us own both, I think we realize it but they don't, hence the "better than you" attitude. Go's with the territory of that particular brand though. Naiive is exactly what it is. The information is here for anyone that wants to look for it. This whole high level alert they have over a DSSD tells me they simply don't care enough to seek out the information, or want to turn a blind eye. Ignorance is bliss. Members here (again, most owning both gen and rep) seem to appreciate watches as a whole, in such a different way.

+10! :thumbsupsmileyanim: